Mount Rushmore of OSU

Setting parameters can help- players, coaches, OSU career, entire career, and we would likely end up with different people with each of those lists.

For baseball, Ventura has to be the top- Golden Spikes award, all century team, consecutive games hit streak,…. And Football Barry. Other sports could be argued and less agreement

2 Likes

Depends on how we’re looking at it. If it’s based on accolades there’s a whole slew of people you can argue for the list. If we’re talking who has done the most for the university and its image, the answer is Boone and Gundy and it isn’t even particularly close. Mostly because football carries all the weight, but still. They’ve done the most for the university by a substantial long shot.

Mike Gundy, Barry Sanders, Big Country, and Rickie Fowler

1 Like

Surprised you of all people threw a golfer in there.

Just tossed out the most popular icons from OSU

1 Like

You can’t put someone on Mt Rushmore that 99% of the fan base has never heard of. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Mike Holder on OSU Mount Rushmore? Absolutely not.

Bad relationship with Gundy and ran the basketball program into the dirt. This will always be my stance on him.

1 Like

He built everything you see.

Feels like Barry Sanders is the unanimous one here. Yes?

2 Likes

What was your thought process to putting Iba and Gallagher only as honorable mention?

Wow, he paid for all of it?

Good fundraiser. Good at hiring coaches for other sports. Terrible in basketball, the sport I care about the most.

Not sure but went the first four I thought deserving. I guess because they didn’t play a sport. The four I listed first are known by anyone and everyone that knows anything about sports. It’s so hard without parameters.

1 Like

And Gundy has talked about how much he likes working with the new admin non stop since Holder retired. Who knows how close we were to losing Gundy during the Holder era. It’s a scary thought.

1 Like

He actually was one of our biggest donors but he’s the reason why it all happened.

Boone built it, and he would have done it whether holder was the AD or not. Holder did do a lot for the school but it’s not all because of him.

4 Likes

Holder is way overrated in this discussion IMHO.

3 Likes

Fair enough. I included them because of not only their coaching success at OSU, but the lasting national influence their names (and indirectly OSU) continue to have on each sport.

1 Like

You mean other than creating one of the biggest dynasties in college sports with our golf program and getting Karsten Creek done?

I’ll hear arguments on whether or not his achievements as AD are overrated, but you can’t deny what he did for golf and for OSU in that regard.

2 Likes

Not denying that at all. I knock him for basketball and football decisions that have hurt the basketball program and make it hard for us to move on from Gundy at any other time then he wants to move on.

I appreciate Holder, but he isn’t in my OSU Mt Rushmore. That’s all.

1 Like

Boone paid for the tennis, soccer, baseball, and indoor football facilities?