Notes from a chat with Gundy

Typing this on my phone so typos are expected.

Mike Gundy met with a few of us this morning at the team hotel as kind of a state of the union, here are some notes from it:

It sounds like LD is done (but he didn’t want to totally speak in absolutes), so it was cool he got to play some yesterday. I asked about the future on the RB position with LD, Jaylen and Jackson all leaving. He sounded confident in Dominic Richardson and Jaden Nixon and said they’ll probably have to get a freshman ready for the third spot like they have in the past. Also didn’t shy away from the possibility of looking on the portal for another body.

In terms of a defensive coordinator, he said he was going to review yesterday, but he said he still isn’t sure whether he will promote from within or hire. He said id he doesn’t end up promoting, he’ll probably interview about eight guys to make sure he is getting the right one.

The said roster numbers are crazy and there is no direction from those in charge. This is in regards to super seniors, transfer portal players and incoming freshman. He said he has some meeting with that.

He made notes to say that Jarrick Bernard-Converse, Brock Martin, Brendon Evers and Israel Antwine have all expressed interest in returning.

He also talked big-picture budget stuff that I broke down in the spring ball thread.

30 Likes

This is excellent stuff. Thank you Marshall!

11 Likes

I’ll admit I was ripping into all the defensive assistants in the first half yesterday, but they were excellent after halftime. Basically yesterday was a repeat of Arlington and bedlam, which we had knowles for. Maybe knowles wasn’t the only one making crucial halftime adjustments? The guys yesterday did just as good of a job as knowles had done throughout the year with making changes needed to shut ND down after halftime. No idea if it’s a committee thing or if there’s a particular coach in the locker room that has been making those changes, but if there is a particular coach in there doing so, promote him. We have the players for next year and beyond, just need a coach to guide their schemes and they’ll be just fine.

4 Likes

I’ll write stuff off that chat in the coming days, but not in an airport.

5 Likes

This is a huge W.

5 Likes

Check the rundown, but I think Gundy said they were concerned about ND’s length on the offensive line so they tried to play more zone. It didn’t work, so at halftime they switched back to man. I’m guessing they did that because their length could negate our pass rush and make it harder to stay in man coverage longer. They tried to counter with zone defense. It didn’t work. Credit them for going back to the horse that brought them. Wish they would’ve switched back sooner.

3 Likes

I’m not a huge JBC fan. I would like to see some of the young guys get more playing time and him staying takes away from that.

1 Like

They think Black could be an NFL corner.

1 Like

Any mention of the Big Ten yet?

I’d tend to agree

1 Like

Jabar Muhammad balled out yesterday too.

The future for our secondary is bright!

10 Likes

For sure. They also really like Williams, Rucker and Daniels. The cupboard is full on defense.

Is Rucker the dude who xferred in from wake?

Yes!

When did this happen? Recently? Literally haven’t heard anything on this.

Transferred after the 2020 season i think

Ahh that’s right, thanks. Now I’m remembering him in on a couple of plays against OU.

1 Like

It was in blowouts, but Rucker had some really nice plays against Kansas and TCU.

JBC staying is actually a bad thing lmao

3 Likes

Lol didn’t he get a targeting call?

If he can harness the intensity he’ll probably be good

1 Like