Official Cade Cunningham thread

It really is. They are legitimately throwing tantrums and it is the best thing in the world right now, aside from the glass of scotch I’m sipping.

Good book too. I’ve got an extra copy if anybody wants one.

Just saying. And IF we get Bryce…he slots in at #6. Imagine that. Two of the top six in ONE CLASS.

3 Likes

Man, Sean Sutton could recruit.

3 Likes

Hey Chamber, sorry I haven’t poked my head in here before now.

But crazy day amiright?

13 Likes

Thank you for your speed in Tweeting his commitment. Yours was the first one I saw and the last before I blacked out for about thirty seconds.

5 Likes

I was refreshing his Instagram in the parking lot after Mike Gundy’s presser tonight. He put it on Instagram about a minute before it made it’s way to Twitter.

2 Likes

Meanwhile Brad Underwood just sweated out an overtime victory against Nichols State.

19 Likes

Last thing and then I’ll go quiet for the night. To me, this move ends the ‘Boynton will jump to a better job once he succeeds’ narrative once and for all. Coaches who are looking to the next job don’t go this hard to lay the groundwork for future elite levels of success. He’s not building us for the next guy - he’s building us for him. He wants his legacy here. He wants to be one of our legends. I can’t wait to see what he does next.

4 Likes

Everybody have a happy dang Hump Day at work. We’ve got ourselves a basketball program.

1 Like

Looks like Cade will be in Stillwater tonight.

2 Likes

Let’s tap the brakes on that. It’s not out of the question that he uses this class and, if he has success with it, that success to take a bigger job.

I don’t necessarily think he will do that and do believe that he will be pretty loyal to Holder… And also buy that he isn’t lying when he says that OSU is a premier basketball program…

But it still wouldn’t surprise me. Every AD in the country will want to interview him because of who he is.

3 Likes

There isn’t a hands down better job than osu coming available though. Cuse maybe? It’s a better job but is it a better opportunity ? I dk

Osu is a top 30 job, you don’t leave 30 for 15 you leave it for #3 (even then not everyone would. The stability at 30 versus 3 is a factor).

We’re the exception to the rule but overall we aren’t seeing many P5 to P5 jumps.

1 Like

Oh yeah I’m not saying it’s imminent or anything like that at all.

And you know as well as anybody that I think that OSU is a top 15 all time program.

But… our coach is a young, energetic black man in a sport that is under a lot of scrutiny for being played almost exclusively by black men coached by white men… so Boynton will get a call every single time a job comes open if he has success.

And… I mean… Underwood left #15 for #14… granted he asked for a ton of money that he had not earned and Holder absolutely made the right call on letting him walk, even before Boynton’s recruiting success… but still. It’s not out of the realm of possibility.

2 Likes

I think underwood being in his 50s, felt that pinch of, I need to make hay while the sun shines, I am running out of time. Illinois offered, and struck while the iron was hot. I hate to write it off as a very unique situation but it feels like a unique situation.

UCLA did everything they could to get Chris beard. And he chose to stay at tech. Now UCLA has some of its own issues, but it seems to be a common thing. P5 to P5 is becoming increasingly rare.

Boynton wins a big 12 title or makes a final four. Holder makes calls, and boosters will step up. Burns does his thing with the BOR.
The end result will be a Gundy type contract, with a smaller buyout. Something like a 1-2 year buyout but it’s a rolling 5 year contract that starts at $4 million.

1 Like

Source…

1 Like

Cade’s trainer/cousin posted he would be at the game tonight. I probably jumped the gun and assumed that meant Cade would be there also.

Coach Mike has two young kids and Stillwater is a great place to raise a family. He’s made the comments about liking to stay where he’s at and not making changes. He’s just a few years away from sweating out where his next job was coming from and working as an academic advisor to pay the bills, so why jump ship when you have a good thing going?

I also think he has great integrity and feels indebted to Mike Holder for giving him his shot.

As long as they are winning, I think he’s here like 10 years minimum. At that point he may be looking for a different challenge.

1 Like

Plus, I guarantee, after this recruiting class is said and done, Holder will give Boynton whatever raise will keep him there.

I’m pretty confident that Boynton will be in Stillwater for a long time. One of the best arenas in the country, recruits will come and it’s a great athletic program with support. Plus I think Boynton likes the family aspects of Stillwater.