Official PFB+ Homecoming Game Thread

It is a repeat of last year. The worst part is we as fans keep expecting better and keep expecting more and the product on the field stays the same. The only constant over the last three years is Gundy and hope we live up to our expectations, only to fall flat again. We are quickly becoming irrelevant and that is what is most disturbing about our football team. Are we going to become Kansas and say basketball is coming?

1 Like

Not that it was likely to happen either way, but now Chuba could beat Barry’s record and still not win the Heisman.

We have players to win in this conference. Just not the coaching. Tenn deserves Gundy. We deserve better.

I’ve been an employee, a manager and The boss. I think you’re saying effort is the most important thing, is that correct?

1 Like

I don’t think we’d ever fire Gundy. He’ll either turn it around and step down on a higher note than this or it’s going to get worse than this and he steps down to protect his legacy.

Let this sink in. This team could very well finish 5-7 with a player potentially receiving heisman votes. Dumbfounding…

2 Likes

I’m saying that if someone who has been a steady presence for well over a decade has the product he is putting forth dropping beyond subpar and consistently so, you have to have a real conversation with that person to determine if he needs help or if he needs to go elsewhere. You don’t give him excuses or things to point at as to why he is failing. If you can’t do the job anymore, you leave. If you aren’t willing to do the job anymore, you leave. If you are both incapable and unwilling to improve yourself, even (or maybe especially) if it means you have to go outside what you’re used to, you lose your job. Flat out. What you don’t do is reward the person for their ‘loyalty’ with a constant raise. Either they fix what’s going wrong or they are no longer a part of your business. That simple.

1 Like

Agreed, again. But neither you nor I are able to have that talk with Gundy. Only holder can. Maybe we should trust holder’s judgement. He knows how to win nattys.

He needs to have that talk tomorrow, honestly. Just a ‘Mike, what the heck is going on?’ thing. He’s the AD and, honestly, a dang good one. It’s his job to make the necessary corrections that Gundy isn’t willing to do. Otherwise, we are just paying more and more money for a coach who is unwilling to do anything to improve. That is, to put it lightly, a bad investment and he is going to see a severe drop in ticket sales and funding if he doesn’t fix it. Like you said, it’s on him, but I don’t know that he can afford to be overly patient at this point.

@DrCCowboy, I so admire you passion and dedication, but I think your views are a bit naive. As a coach (or boss) you can demand excellence. You can teach it hourly, you can demand it, but only a select few can achieve it. Chuba and tylan are good examples. They’re getting three same head coach as the rest of the team. Why are they so much better? Why are the rest so much worse? They gave the same head coach. Same athletic director.

Here’s the thing. I don’t expect perfection - none of us do. I certainly don’t expect an undefeated season. But we have had two seasons (really three) where we have greatly underperformed as a team. That’s not just mistakes. That’s not just errors. That is a systemic concern that is on the coach to fix. He has not and is not doing so. There are well over a half-dozen losses in a few years now that we had no business losing but, somehow, our team found it within us to lose and not even lose well. That, honestly, is worth a contract reconsideration. It won’t happen. Heck, I emailed Coach Holder and voiced my concerns tonight, but nothing will come of it. Should it? Yes. I don’t think that Gundy has any right to expect that raise and extension this year, even though he will absolutely get it. It simply is not realistic to say that Gundy is absolutely doing the best he can to make this team the best it can be. It’s just not. We could recruit better, but we aren’t. We had TWO weeks to prepare for Baylor and got demolished three plays into the game on defense. We have a QB that has turned the ball over nearly a dozen times in just a few weeks. He can make whatever claims he wants about them being the better team or whatever, but something is clearly wrong and - whatever it is - he is not taking care of it. That, to me, is what isn’t acceptable. Losses happen. They aren’t fun but they happen. Not doing everything possible to win games, though…that is a different story.

After 15 years of Gundy, we should be pursuing perfection. He’s had enough time to build the program and have a very defined approach.

There were three people who passed for OSU tonight. We’re never gonna admit it as a fan base, but maybe having a veteran isn’t so bad.

He would have to look at the film to see if he got outreached.

oSu is losing in the off season. This team isn’t prepared to win at a high level. The plan in place is stale and predictable. Big 12 teams are confident and aggressive when they play oSu. The hallmark of the successful days of oSu offensive football was keeping teams on their heels and off balance.

1 Like

Is Oklahoma State better than…Gulp Kansas??

Sure, Sanders can give the ball to Kansas all he wants and we should still win.

Simply put, they do to us NOW…what we did to them THEN.

2 Likes

Gundy hired Monken and told him to learn the offense from Weeden and call the plays. With a long history together Gundy could have had Monken run Holgy schemes, Les Miles (oSu) schemes, or what Gundy ran as OC. Then Monken took the system he adapted from Holgy and became a disciple at Southern Miss before moving to the NFL. What made Gundy hire MY and go in a different direction? What offense would oSu run if Monken had returned or Graham Harrell was hired? Would it be the current approach that SG is running?

Losing Holgerson, Fedora, and Monken to head coaching jobs.