Oklahoma State Academic Ranking

The thing about Austin College is that it has some crazy 90%+ acceptance rate into top 50 law and medical schools for its graduates.

My wife retired from Austin College where she was director of Student Services and Counseling. The pre-law and pre-med programs are pretty top-notch, as you say.

These words belong together. But BOY, do they know how to party. I left all of my dignity on the streets of Chico

3 Likes

At the end of the day experience is what matters-

2 Likes

It’s not.

This is great! I read this article on their methodology which I found very interesting. I am now much more respectful of the Forbe’s list than USNWR based on their output metric philosophy. Also this page takes you to an interactive table which is interesting. Very curious about the average debt amounts I’m seeing though!

2 Likes

That’s a good point (From @leecothran and @eddy). Depending on what the school’s “elite“ program is can help skew them up or down on rankings.

Elite Vet school and fire protection? Meh

1 Elite law focus? Sizable bump
(Talking about TulsaU energy law)

3 Likes

How does OSU’s vet school stack up against Texas A&M, Indiana, Cornell, etc? Because, while I know it’s very selective, I meet far more vets from the other schools. Maybe it’s because OSU focuses on large animals?

1 Like

OSU has a top 30 vet school in the country. :wink:

4 Likes

Right. And that’s the whole thing. I paid close to nothing for college because of scholarships and being an RA. Had the scores to go elsewhere, but I loved OSU and received significant aide in going. 8 years post grad and I’m in an extremely enviable position in sales in the tech world.

The sting just still is there when the best law school I got into was WashU… and the reason given by Stanford, Georgetown, and UPenn was that they didn’t feel I had a challenging enough undergraduate experience to make me more competitive (which, is probably true… I barely studied and coasted to a 3.4 gpa in economics… probably should’ve done something harder and worked harder but… hey… I didn’t even end up going to law school.)

2 Likes

Real catch 22 there. Deciding not to go to law school proves you’re smart enough for those schools.

3 Likes

The thing that frustrates me most with OSU’s academic ranking is how competitive employers game the system with it. They know OSU is a good school and great graduates, so they hire OSU grads.

BUT - they know the ranking sucks so they can lowball or offer a lower position than originally advertised. Drove me up a wall interviewing before graduation.

4 Likes

What about Ag? Aren’t we top 5?

As much as it pains me to admit as a grad of our vet school, based on 2019 rankings we were at the bottom of the list. Cornell and UC Davis are definitely considered the elite programs in the country. There is a new dean that seems to be getting things in order, and hopefully we’ll see our national standing improve over the next few years. OSU’s vet school is one of the most affordable though, so that’s something at least.

2 Likes

Soooo we’re top 30 out of 30? Nice.

2 Likes

I think hotel and restaurant admin and fire protection are really the only two highly ranked programs… I also always heard about architecture being top notch.

The economics program is on a top world list somewhere, so there’s that.

I had to look it up to confirm the joke.

The perception on the east coast is that we are a large state school with big time athletics. Unless you’re an elite school, these rankings really don’t matter that much.

OSU has a fantastic engineering school. Architecture Engineering, not so much.

Well… I don’t think that’s true. What’s the big difference between OSU and, say, NC State? NC State is in a large city, sure, but they’re both land grant schools with a mission to educate the citizenship of their state with a practical, well rounded education, correct?

So why is NC State in the top 150 while OSU is some 200 spots below them on those Forbes rankings?

I know… I know… it doesn’t matter… but to bring it back to the context of this board, it might matter to a football recruit. Or a wrestling recruit. Or maybe even a young kid from, idk, Texas or Tennessee that is going to go on to be a Rhodes Scholar.

I think they do matter… and I don’t think that a degree from NC State is 200 spots more valuable than a degree from OSU. So how does OSU get this Forbes list to reflect that? Or the USNWR? Or the Princeton Review?