OSU Player Mt. Rushmore

An OSU coaching Mt. Rushmore has been brought up in the Eddie vs Gundy thread. How about a player’s Mt. Rushmore? Barry is a lock, of course. Big Country, probably a lock. Who are the other two (or three if you don’t like Big Country on there)? Kurland, Fenimore, Ventura, Incaviglia, Leslie O’Neal, Thurman, Gundy (could he be on both Mt. Rushmores?), Weeden. Save a spot for Chuba? Who you got?

Barry Sanders

Rickie Fowler

Dick Hutton

Bryant Reeves

1 Like

Barry Sanders

Rickie Fowler

Chuba Hubbard (after this year obvi)

Tony Allen

2 Likes

Two votes for Rickie so far. Interesting. Tony Allen is solid. I remember when Kobe retired, he said the best defender he played against in 20 years in the league was Tony Allen. High praise.

4 Likes

I put Rickie up there because he is probably the biggest public supporter of OSU as an athlete. He’s back in Stillwater a couple times a year too, under the palms.

3 Likes

For me, it’s probably:

Sanders
Big Country
Ventura
Kurland

I mean, they changed the rules of the game because of Kurland and he helped lead us to our only two basketball NCs. I know it was a long time ago, but so was Thomas Jefferson.

6 Likes

Barry
John Smith (not an option - cannot be left out)
Ventura
Kurland

4 Likes

Smith is a solid pick as well. But remember, it is a Mt. Rushmore as a player only. He did win two individual NCs and had a 154-7-2 record. Does seem like we should have a wrestler on there and he would be the one.

Hard to keep it to just four…

Glad someone said John Smith finally. Mine would be those with multiple olympic gold medals (not counting Uetake since his were not for USA) = John Smith, Bob Kurland, and Michele Smith. Plus Barry and Ventura (who does have one gold medal).

2 Likes

John arguably did more as a wrestler than he has done as a coach.

This would be my vote!!!

1 Like

Agreed. Just wanted to make sure we weren’t counting ALL his massive contributions to OSU into the process since it’s player only.

1 Like

Incaviglia has to be on the list. He set records that will never be broken.

1 Like

Fair counter. I was not considering just time at OSU.

It’s still a really good pick, though. I think he’s still considered the best wrestler pound-for-pound of all time.

These first four are based off of what they did in their 3-5 years on campus:

Barry Sanders
Yojiro Uetake
Robin Ventura
Bob Kurland

These four are based off careers at Oklahoma State and their professional careers:
Barry Sanders
Rickie Fowler
John Smith
Thurman Thomas

5 Likes

John Smith
Barry Sanders
Pete Incaviglia
Bryant Reeves

3 Likes

Sam Mayes (represents the university well nowadays…)

Michael Weathers (chose us as his transfer destination, really cool of him…)

Travis Ford (established consistent basketball)

Jarid Atkinson (for almost tripping Eric Striker)

This was a general one, not limited to players or coaches.

2 Likes

Real one:

Barry (duh)
Big Country
John Smith
Thurman

1 Like

I think you mistakenly posted this here when you meant to put it in the drunk thread… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes