OSU vs Oakland Game Thread

Oh boy. The subtext of the NCAA’s letter to OSU yesterday was “Oakland, I hope you have life insurance because you’re gonna have to catch OSU’s hands for us.” Vegas and KenPom have OSU by 17 tonight, but post-NCAA letter it should probably be OSU by 50.

Opponent Preview
Team: Oakland
Record: 0-1
Coach: Greg Kampe (380-331)
KenPom Rank: 186/358
Impact Players: Jalen Moore, Jamal Cain, Terry Townsend, and Micah Parrish

What’s New:

• Last year Oakland played a tough game against OSU due to the efforts of Rashad Williams who scored 32 points (10-30 from 3). Rashad transferred to St. Louis during the offseason so we wont see him tonight
  • In addition to losing Williams, the Golden Grizzlies also have lost their best all-around player from last year’s team in Daniel Oladapo (12.9 pts/g - 8.8 reb/g - 1.7 ast/g)

Poor Oakland. They didn’t ask to be made bulletin board material via the NCAA, but here we are. The Golden Grizzles started off their season with a surprising close loss to a West Virginia team down Deuce McBride and Derek Culver. Without the rim running presence that the Mountaineers have come to enjoy in the previous years they were unable to prevent Oakland from dominating the boards 41-32 (and 18-10 on the offensive glass). The Grizzlies also held West Virginia to only 19% from deep and 55.6% from the line. Despite playing good defense against the fighting Bob Huggins Oakland couldn’t get their offense going. Per KenPom Oakland is one of the worst teams on the offensive side of the ball especially when it comes to turning the ball over.

Unfortunately for Oakland, this OSU team is nothing like the Mountaineers team. OSU has size in the post, length at every position, and loves to rebound. OSU has a size advantage in the post so I would imagine Moussa “The Moose” Cisse will have another big game. The matchup to watch will be whoever is guarding Jalen Moore (NCAA leader in assists in 2020). Jalen was largely held in check by West Virginia, The 5-11 guard only scored 4 points to go along with 4 assists (last year he averaged 8.3 assists/game). Once again OSU should roll and stick it to the NCAA.

20 Likes

I should be kinder to the Oakland players, a few of whom are my students, but they’re gonna get thrashed. It’s gonna be bad.

6 Likes

You just have to call it like you see it.

1 Like

I’m glad no other Oakland folks are on this forum. Some of my RAs were convinced they would have a shot last night at staff meeting

1 Like

Having hope is good! At least you didn’t burst their bubble ? :joy:

3 Likes

oh don’t worry, I did. One said “we kept it close last year when y’all had Cade Cunningham”, and I told him last year we didn’t have a postseason ban to fuel rage.

6 Likes

Or a guy that causes people to have nightmares repeatedly (Cisse).

6 Likes

after the meeting I literally told him to be scared of Moussa.

7 Likes

They also had Rashad go ballistic from 3 last year which kept them in the game. And while it was a close game with WV I think this year will be a down year for Huggy Bear. No Tshiebwe and no Culver to get them easy double-doubles or to protect the paint. They are relying on a freshman to get it done and Huggins’ system generally takes people a few years to get it down.

4 Likes

Also they are really small. The only guy who can match up height-wise with Cisse (or Kalib if he comes back) is Conway who only played 13 minutes last game, and Burke didn’t even check in. If they dont make 3’s today then its gonna be UTA all over again.

The equivalent of 15 games for an OSU QB

5 Likes

wait ur a prof at Oakland university?

That’s dope

3 Likes

Oh, hi. I didn’t see that this thread was a thing. I’m going to copy and paste everything I put in the other thread over:

Meant to post this yesterday but the NCAA decided to be dumb:

• Kalib and Chris were full participants in practice yesterday.
  • Boynton told me Chris was the furthest away from playing among he, Kalib and Bryce Williams.
  • On Kalib: “I think KB, he’s closer. I don’t think he’ll play [Friday night], but I can’t rule it out quite yet.”
  • He said Bryce Williams had one more disciplinary thing to complete before he is good to go

Based on ticketmaster, it looks like the arena tonight is going to be quite full considering it’s a game against Oakland.

So if you’re waiting to get tickets, you might wanna hop on that.

8 Likes

Define quite full lol. You’re getting my hopes up.

7 Likes

This would be a good conference game turnout during the Ford era.

1 Like

Oh dang. This doesn’t even count general admission either. That’s really good news.

5 Likes

If the 200s can be full that would be awesome. With the lower angle back you rarely see above there.

3 Likes

Will be there in 319!

1 Like

I’m a Residence Director there!

1 Like