Out of His World: Mike Gundy's Message of Bravado Comes at the Worst Possible Time

Kyle, i disagree with you, but that doesn’t mean that I think this post is an embarrassment to PFB. Unlike many other Americans, Mike Gundy did not say anything that was incorrect. He did not say that the measures that have been taken are too much, and he didn’t say that this whole virus has been overblown. There was no conspiracy talk. All of those things would have been yes, an embarrassment - but none of that was said. What he said was that he thinks that alongside the risk of coronavirus pandemic, we also need to weigh the economic impact that college football has on millions of Americans, and more particularly the people in Oklahoma. If events like college football don’t return in some capacity at all in 2020, some people’s lives will be ruined from an economic standpoint. The curve will certainly be flattened by the Fall, but yes the virus will still exist and there will most likely still be no treatment. In his opinion, it is more important to get college football going in the Fall, for the economic good of millions, than it is to make sure that no one dies from Coronavirus ever again (which we couldn’t control regardless). Not to mention that there would be untold mental health benefits that would accompany any re-opening of businesses. Again, you disagree which is fine, but that doesn’t mean that Mike Gundy giving his take as a college football coach is a embarrassment for OK State. If people see his comments that as embarrassing, then they would probably find it embarrassing if he were to say anything other than their particular viewpoint.

2 Likes

More sensitive reader? Or more informed reader? Technically the virus was made in an American lab by an American and sold to China right

Porter talked about the “Chinese virus” statement. Is there any confirmation of what Gundy said? Is it safe to assume the full audio will be available?

To be clear here, it was not our choice to not be there. That part matters.

1 Like

A subscriber of despair blasting a subscriber of hope and resiliency. Imagine that.

Did it matter on how the article was written also ?

Was the entire content of Gundy’s remarks reviewed before tweets and posts were done by you guys? I understand frustration on not being able to be there.

To the extent that they were online, yes. I read every quote that was online at the time we published.

2 Likes

Obviously I support the site, and quite frankly it’s because I enjoy your writing and what you do for ok state but it really seemed like something deeper in regards to this article. I don’t know how everything that was said today can be construed as negative and tone deaf. MLB also announced a possibility for starting in May but there was not near the vitriol so I’m lost to be honest

2 Likes

Not the published quotes. All his comments in context.

No, they’re not available anywhere and we were not allowed to be on the call.

1 Like

I guess I missed what Mike Gundy said that wasn’t absolutely true? In my opinion this is one of the worst articles you’ve wrote Porter. I like the website and everything you do to cover Oklahoma State, but if this is how it’s going to be going forward I will likely be out. I can’t hop on board with the Gundy bashing when he does so much for Oklahoma State.

2 Likes

Worst article I have ever read on this site,Gundy didn’t say anything out of line.

2 Likes

I am going to have to look into this more tomorrow. Re-read the posts, the tweets, and the whole content if it is available anywhere. My initial reaction is disappointment in the tact you guys took today. The first thing I saw was the ESPN article (apparently a revised version). The tone was so dramatically different from what I then saw in both PFB posts. On ESPN, the theme was Gundy being eager to get going as soon as possible, making plans to be able to do so as soon as permission given. Recognizing that the virus is deadly serious but looking ahead. On PFB the theme was a maniacal/clueless money-grubbing rich man taking advantage of athletes (hyperbole on my part acknowledged). I wish you guys were in the room as much as you do. But I just dont see that happening for a long time now.

I really like PFB and your writing Kyle. But I will admit, I am really struggling with this tonight.

6 Likes

Good luck getting back in now.

It is what it is. The quotes are the quotes. This is the literal quote.

“This goes back to the NCAA, the Presidents of the universities, the conference commissioners, the athletic directors all need to be meeting right now and we need to start coming up with answers. In my opinion, if have to bring our players back, test them. They’re in good shape, they’re all 18, 19, 20, 21, 22-years old and healthy. A lot of them can fight it off with their natural body, they’re antibodies and build up they have…those that are asymptomatic. If that’s true, then we sequester them. And people say that that’s crazy, no it’s not crazy, because we need to continue to budget and run money through the state of Oklahoma.”

I don’t know what to do with that. It’s terrible…

And my broader point is that more than the words themselves being bad, Gundy tried to pump up the CFB season and how important it is on one of the most somber weeks in recent U.S. history. 10,000 people are going to die this week because of this stupid thing and he’s out there hollering about antibodies and blood transfusions. That, more than anything else, is what made me so angry.

8 Likes

This article is much more on pace of what actually happened. Don’t let Kyle Boone tell you that the world is ending because there is a cloud in the sky…

1 Like

This COVID19 is absolutely bull. It is stupid people not doing the facts and media/government using SCARE predictions that are totally false. More people will die from influenza this flu season (2019-2020) than this SCARE BS will. It’s like any disease every to hit mankind, it preys on a comprised soul. Rarely doesn’t it even effect someone that is healthy. Love what Gundy said!
Don’t believe me go to the CDC and READ!!!

Absolute Liberal Too Much Government CRAP-O-LA!

1 Like

It seems like your article was written out of anger for not being allowed to be on the call. I get your upset about that, but what Gundy said was not out of line. Gundy’s remarks make me proud to be involved with Oklahoma State.

2 Likes

But, there is something very different about COVID19. Refrigerated trucks aren’t on the streets of NYC every year to hold the bodies of seasonal flu victims. Temporary hospitals don’t pop up in convention centers every year for seasonal flu. Prime ministers don’t end up in ICU every year with seasonal flu.

2 Likes