PFB+ Basketball Recruiting

Starting a new thread where general hoops recruiting news can be discussed on the PFB+ board. I’m going to start with Rondel Walker news since he’s a name on the radar again. A few thoughts:

1. He named OSU in his top 5.

This is big but also expected. He essentially named his biggest offers, which also includes K State, Texas, Virginia Tech and Arkansas.

1. OSU is the favorite

Walker has OSU ties, he’s from Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State was the first to offer him a scholarship in 2017. All of those factors figure to be key reasons why OSU is the favorite. However …

1. Walker might be a backup plan

OSU already has a guard commitment from Davonte Davis, and if all goes accordingly, Cade Cunningham and* Bryce Thompson will join him. If that happens, is OSU prepared to take four guards in this cycle? My gut tells me no. They could probably make the scholarships work (OSU is set to have five available for 2020), but only two outgoing seniors – Dizzy and Lindy – are guards.

1. What does Cade want?

This is the question OSU’s staff must be asking at every turn. Does Cade Cunningham want Bryce Thompson? Does Cade Cunningham want Rondel Walker? Does Cade Cunningham want extra Chick-Fil-A sauce tossed in his every order on campus? What Cade wants, Cade gets. And if Walker, his AAU teammate who had a really solid summer, is part of those desires, then OSU will do everything in its power to make sure Walker and Cade come as a package.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update and I agree Cade gets what he wants (minus the zaxby’s). Mike will role put the red carpet for the guys this weekend

(Minus the zaxby’s) is the best comment of the day. Hahaha.

But yeah, for sure. @marshall talked to someone at OSU yesterday, who said that the game being against McNeese is actually an advantage (one would think you’d bring a big recruit to a big game). Apparently more time to focus on the important things like bonding with future teammates, meeting players, site-seeing in Stilly, etc. Thought that was another interesting nugget from our boots on the ground.

1 Like

Do you think it’s at all possible that we get an immediate commit from someone this weekend? Probably not CC (I would have to change my pants if that happened), but maybe Thor or Williams?

I personally don’t think so. But if anyone is on commitment watch, it’s Thor IMO. Lot of people think that is already a done deal.

5 Likes

I mean, CC being the crown jewel aside…snagging JT Thor as a likely-done deal is a monstrous move by Boynton.

5 Likes

Is there any significance to offering 4 members of Texas Titans? (CC, Rondel, Miles, and Pena) Are we just trying to woo Cade, or do we like Miles and Pena?

I know offering teammates is common, but I’ve (personally) never seen 4 before… And it feels like they’re smaller fish than Boynton has been after lately.

Site seeing in Stillwater? Ha, that won’t take up much time.

LOL. True. In year’s past the official visits have consisted of going to Eskimo Joes, or going to a coaches house, hanging with current players for night activities, etc. Lot of free time on the schedule, too.

1 Like

100 percent, yes. Those players are … fine. But probably not the blue-chip flavor Boynton would go after if they weren’t connected to Cunningham. IMO it’s a message to Cade: if you want to play with your teammates to make you more comfortable, then we can do that.

Corey Evans tweeted that Lon Kruger would be doing an in home visit with Bryce tonight…then he quoted that tweet and said that Boynton completed a visit with him at midnight. Always one step ahead of the competition LOL!

1 Like

Another thing to add to this is that the live recruiting period opened at midnight. The moment he was allowed to, Boynton walked through Bryce’s door! You have to love the dedication. Boynton is totally bought in to building this program back to what it used to be.

Some pics from visit weekend:

EYE BALL EMOJIS.

4 Likes

Three days ago, Bryce Thompson commented this on JT Thors IG pics from his visit:

3 Likes

Not going to lie, Bryce doing that reminds me a lot of when Dax was sending smoke signals … before he went to Michigan.

1 Like

Where’s he off too @kyleboone?

Good question – probably vacation! (I … actually don’t know. But it’s the live period, so we’ll find out in short order I’d imagine.)

Boynton tracker in motion.

Ingram is the No. 18 overall player in the 2021 class according to 247Sports.

2 Likes

Any thoughts on Caleb Love/UNC… mainly if he were to commit to UNC what impact it would have on Cade and Bryce?
Hadn’t really heard much about him but saw some UNC chatter after he cut his list down

1 Like