PFB+ Basketball Recruiting

I’ve joked that Keylan wasn’t as good as we thought. And does anyone have any real solid ground to stand on that he’s as good as we thought in college? Not really. Sure he may have been hurt, but :man_shrugging:t2:

I’ve said college basketball is largely boring. Many people think otherwise, but I don’t find 52-48 with both teams shooting 35% to be super… fun. I do watch the pokes because duh.

Then I said something that’s pretty factual… we’ve had what, 3 guys in the past 10 years? And one stuck. Marcus Smart. So Bruce ain’t wrong here. However, to qualify I also said that being drafted and sticking in the NBA is exponentially harder than other leagues To make it look better for OSU. There’s only 15 a team max, making way less spots than say football. That’s what makes the NBA the top league. The talent is absolutely the best of the best.

It’s not all pretty. But not a whole lot is off base and I haven’t exactly been negative about our team. They’re going to be good. I’ll watch more next year because they should actually make shots. Boynton is that dude. Cade is going to be unreal.

2 Likes

There ya go. Because of small roster sizes, class rankings in bball carry hardly any weight. I needed a new flag to fly. I’ll go plant this one.

5 Likes

Maybe I missed part of this argument, but I would say much like football the teams at the top of the recruiting rankings are the same teams competing for titles and winning tournament games. While basketball has more parity due to the 64 team tournament, without looking extensively, wouldn’t most final four teams have pretty good class rankings? Again I might be missing something here.

One would have to get commitments from the Top 5 players in the class to beat out Kentucky’s #1 class right now. (Cunningham, Mobley, Green, Clarke, Z. Williams) Kentucky has a 70.4 ranking currently and the Top 5 guys have a 71.17.
It’s weird how that calculator works, because players 6-10 will also beat the Kentucky Class. Point being, volume is everything in class rankings.

4 Likes

7 Likes

I would think so, but given how common transfers are in college basketball that probably muddies the data a lot. Assuming you looked at class rank at the time and didn’t adjust based on the roster that actually went to the final four. That’d be a project.

I’ve got a good question and possible article for @marshall I’d be interested in seeing how many top 150 to 200 guys get drafted in the first or second round of the NBA each year. This including all 1 and dones but also 4 or 5 year guys as well. As what it could mean for the team as well as OSU sending more players into the league also based off the data what next years roster will look like after the season. Roughly how many players will get drafted and based off the data what year in they will get drafted. For an example 60% of players that are 80 to 115 go to the league their 3rd year and 32% get drafted. Vs 1-60 guys based off of data get drafted either first or second year in and average 61% get drafted, and 41% of 1-60 players declare after the first year and 69% stay into their second. Be interested to see what the data means for OSU and also the future of the program as well as new players

1 Like

Where are we with Emoni Bates? Dude just won national POY as a sophomore and has a comparison to Durant. Hire this guys whole family… whatever it takes (legally) to get this guy!

1 Like

Cade congratulated him on instagram and he screen shot it and put it on his story. But I’d say he’s going to Duke being that good.

Very true. Has Michigan State up there too. If Izzo gets him, he should retire after Bates leaves. It won’t get better.

I hope Boynton reaches out, would be an amazing grab!

Cade went to Oklahoma State being “that” good.

10 Likes

Emoni is a beast, but he has said in the past that Michigan State is his dream school :confused:

2 Likes

We were also the first ones in on Cade, and he wasn’t at the level he is now until last summer, so we were able to get enough of a head start. With Bates, he’s still a sophomore and already has offers from basically everyone, so it would be much tougher this time around.

Edit: There’s also a decent chance the one and done rule could be gone by the time he graduates, which, if so, he’s pretty much already confirmed he’s going to the NBA as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Here’s how I would explain it: It’s kind of the equivalent of wondering whether the Thunder would be interested in acquiring LeBron James or Kawhi Leonard as a free agent. Of course OSU is interested in Greg Brown (and of course OKC would be interested). The offer to Brown is implied when you’re as big a recruit as Brown, even if it’s not formalized on recruiting sites.

2 Likes

Well do we know for sure if anyone in Boynten’s camp has made contact with him? If it’s been posted one way or the other I missed it.

Emoni is going straight to the pros. 2022 is the first class that will be allowed to go from high school to NBA since like 2005.

4 Likes

Ideal scenario: he commits to Kentucky and the Wildcat d-bags laugh and giggle and crow about how the national title may as well be theirs right now…then the one-and-done rule is removed, he decommits, goes straight to the pros, and the salt out of Lexington dwarfs that of Bonneville, Utah.

4 Likes

Just seems like one of those Zion type hyped guys. I’ve seen a lot about him but didn’t realize he’s 2022 till today, just speculating he will go to Duke and be apart of another historic class

Every time they’ve done that the last few years, they’ve lost in the Elite 8.

3 Likes

I know and it’s just my favorite thing to see, aside from Sooner fans being excited about getting into the CFP and then getting absolutely beaten to death by a better team. I don’t even care that it reflects poorly on the Big 12. The annual ‘Sooner Spirit Breaking’ on New Year’s Day is one of the best moments of the year.

13 Likes