PFB+ Basketball Thread

This is more of a tying loose ends up note than reporting, but I’ve talked to a few folks about whether or not OSU could get hit by the NCAA for Lamont Evans, and the vibe I’ve got is that insiders at OSU feel the program should be free and clear. That’s not to say they definitely are. But two reasons why there’s optimism any serious violation allegations (i.e. a Notice of Allegations) will be avoided:

1. OSU immediately suspended Evans and subsequently canned him.

2. They suspended Jeff Carroll for three games to start the 2017, which, I’m told, was a preemptive action by the OSU athletics department to show the NCAA that it didn’t take the allegations regarding Evans (and his connection to nefarious activity while at OSU) lightly.

The problem here is the optics (emphasis on recruiting optics). Dennis Dodd reported in June that at least six programs would be hit with severe NCAA violations, and thus far, only NC State (for two ex-coaches misdeeds) and Kansas (for coach responsibility aimed at Self and lack of institutional control against KU) have received one. (Auburn has acknowledged publicly it expects one as well, which would make three).

So who are the other three?

Back to the optics: I don’t believe OSU will be among those based off what I’ve heard. But until the NCAA definitively rules OSU out (or until the remaining three are publicly hit), OSU is somewhat susceptible to negative recruiting. (I.E.: If a coach wants to tell Cade Cunningham that he could go to OSU but he may go there only to find that OSU is hit with a postseason ban, it’s totally fair game.)

Guesses on the other three:

1. Arizona: Long-time Sean Miller assistant Book Richardson was charged with soliciting bribes. Recently, news broke that he paid off a high school coach of an Arizona recruit-turned-star-player to the tune of $40,000. Miller hasn’t directly been caught with a smoking gun, but he looks guilty if for no other reason than because his program was rampant with dirty deeds. Most expect Arizona to be a lock to be one of the three. ESPN reported that there are wiretaps with Miller on it discussing a $100,000 payment to ensure Deandre Ayton went to Arizona.

2. USC: USC assistant Tony Bland pled guilty to felony bribery earlier this year. He avoided jail time and instead got probation, but he admitted to accepting money to steer players to certain financial advisers. Greasy (and probably against NCAA rules).

3. Louisville: Rick Pitino got fired already after being ensnared in yet another scandal. But the one that got him canned – the one that alleged Adidas helped funnel $100,000 to former five-star Brian Bowen – is a cloud that won’t go away soon. Their involvement with KU and Louisville will get a closer look under the microscope by the NCAA, and I imagine they won’t like what they find.

4. Miami: This has since been denied by Miami and by its coach Jim Larranaga, but federal documents released in 2017 allege that $150,000 was requested by executives at Adidas to get former five-star recruit Nassir Little to commit to Miami and, subsequently, to signing with Adidas upon the conclusion of his college career. Little wound up signing with North Carolina and – you guessed it! – Nike.

3 Likes

This is really interesting and kind of what I’ve been thinking. Had we kept on Evans until things were settled and not suspended Carroll, we’d be in trouble. But the immediacy that Boynton had in distancing himself from Evans’ actions and the preemptive discipline look, at least to me, like a gesture of good faith and wanting to play clean. If we do get hit (which I don’t think is for sure at all), I’d imagine it’d be a small one.

2 Likes
1 Like

I am getting all kinds of fired up for basketball. I am interested in seeing how quick Mike’s hook is for an underperforming starter. Last year he rode them as long as he could because depth was such a problem. This year, lots of freshmen on the bench looking for minutes.

3 Likes

GIA is my happy place.

Voted 6th in the big 12 preseason poll. Can’t wait to be 1st in next years :crossed_fingers:t3::sunglasses:

1 Like

I love being 6th.

Is actually a nice spot all things considered. Super excited for basketball!

The b-ball/homecoming event is streaming now on the athletics YouTube. Think the dunk contest would be coming up soon, just did b-ball player intros

Marcus Watson can fly… he missed his attempts (barely) and was very impressive. The set up had each men’s participant was paired with a player from the women’s team, who gave the assist for the dunk… leading to a lot of missed dunks.

The young guys bring a lot of energy/swagger. Watching the intros had me pretty pumped about the upcoming season.

The Marcus Watson clips are worth watching

They missed a lot of the dunks, but solid potential. Pretty cool homecoming event for the basketball team. This photo from that night was elite!

2 Likes
4 Likes

Hoops soon!!!

1 Like

Throwing some early KenPom stuff out here:

Overall: #40
Offense: #34
Defense: #45
Tempo: #237
Projected record: 17-13, 8-10 in conference

KenPom Big 12 standings:
10) Kansas
13) Baylor
15) Texas Tech
25) Oklahoma
32) Texas
40) Oklahoma State
46) TCU
47) Iowa State
49) Kansas State
59) West Virginia

Conference Rankings

1. Big 12
  2. Big East
  3. Big Ten
  4. ACC
  5. SEC
  6. Pac 12
3 Likes

Wait, are these preseason predictions? OU at #25 is kinda dumb…

Yeah I was a little surprised at that as well. With so much turnover on the roster I’m not sure what his model sees in them.

2 Likes

This is why, regardless of how things shake out with Cade and Bryce, I am all in on Boynton. He doesn’t have to say this. He doesn’t have to engage at all. But he not only does but remembers things about people - that is someone who genuinely loves interacting with fans.

5 Likes

Just look at his feed. He is active and supports the other sports.

Encourages people to go watch the Cowgirl soccer team. Encourages to watch the womens’ basketball team.

What is our venerated football coach doing? silence (Other than football-related stuff, of course…)

2 Likes

8 Likes

Whoa, wrestling, the easiest non-basketball/football sport to support at OSU because of its history. Great rebuttal there, Lee.

Let’s see him support the soccer and women’s basketball team.

1 Like