PFB+ Book Thread

Sure, I’ll start it.

Anybody read anything good recently? I feel like I’m on page 37 of about 10 different books at the moment.

3 Likes

The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown

Black Flags: The Rise of Isis by Joby Warrick

Pretty easy read, very well-written nonfiction. Obviously not particularly uplifting, but informative.

2 Likes

Favorite recent non fiction I’ve read:
Billion Dollar Whale
Bad Blood
Black Edge
Flash Boys
Hellhound on His Trail

(I’m a big fan of corporate/finance scandal)

Fiction:
Dark Matter and Recursion by Blake Crouch. I could not put these books down. Dark Matter twisted my head into a pretzel.

For fans of Netflix’s Narcos, would highly recommend Don Winslow’s Power of the Dog trilogy. Like reading Narcos. First 2 books are great.

4 Likes

Stephen King - Dark Tower Series

1 Like

Wheel of Time book 6: Lord of Chaos !

1 Like

I just started Recursion. I think Dark Matter is one of my favorite fiction books of the last five years. It’s unbelievable.

1 Like

Boomtown.
Billion dollar whale (just started)
Digital gold (just ordered)

2 Likes

I’m on my like 85th read through of Ball Four cause I can never get enough of it. If audiobooks count then I’m also working through the final 3 books from The Wheel of Time (also a multiple reread). Have some Vonnegut in the on-deck circle after Ball Four but haven’t decided which one I want to read next.

First readthrough?

1 Like

You’ve done a multiple re-read of a 14 volume series?

2 Likes

First read through :smiley:

1 Like

Never been a horror fan, but due to the hubbub from the new It films, I’ve started reading some Stephen King. Finished Carrie, now about a third of the way through Salem’s Lot. Don’t feel like they are particularly well written, yet I can’t stop reading.

What Alice Forgot was a good read for someone who is turning 40 next week. Made me ask “how did I get here” about a lot of things in my life.

Finished I’ll Be Gone in the Dark last month. Excellent read especially if you are interested in following up on the case where the books leaves off.

Sleep by Nick Littlehales will get you motivated to treat sleep like an exercise program. The two months I followed his advice, I felt like a champ. Now I’m back to my old sleep habits… funny how it works like that.

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich… be ready for a grind, but it’s fascinating.

What If? by Randall Munroe is freaking awesome.

1 Like

Recursion would be higher on my list if Dark Matter didn’t exist. It’s still really, really good, but there was no topping Dark Matter.

At least 4…I think this is the 5th it may be the 6th to be honest. I drive a lot and prefer audio books to music for long drives.

1 Like

I like this thread, it’s so easy to keep reading the same stuff you always read and fall into a rut. I have a couple that are a little different than what is on the thread:

The Confidence Game by Maria Konnikova. The is a nonfiction book that details each step of the con (Bernie Madoff, psychics, 3 card monte) and why the con works. A touch academic (for me) at times, but really interesting and entertaining. I went from “how does anyone fall for this stuff?” to “have I fallen for one and not known it?”

And The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin. This is a sci-fi book, heavy on the characters and stories- lighter on the science. I am recommending this one because I like this genre and read a fair amount of it and 2 things have become clear to me over the past 20 years or so- most of the books I’ve read are written by whites guys (which I am) & I can pretty much tell how a book will end after the first 2 chapters. This book was written by a black woman and the language and perspective were just different enough to keep me off balance. It was fun not to guess/know the ending.

1 Like

The Looming Tower - Lawrence Wright - This is the second book I’ve read by him. He’s a tremendous writer. I’d also highly recommend God Save Texas

I’ll add another rec of Recursion. Read it all in basically one sitting.

The Last Picture Show - Larry McMurtry

@PVPoke recommended Don Winslow’s Power of the Dog trilogy above. I’d add The Force also by him, which is also in the bargain books section at Barnes & Noble for anyone who likes cheap books.

I’m really into fiction right now. Just finished the Harry Potter books: I’m 23 years old and they were phenomenal. The Ringer’s Binge Mode podcast did a deep dive breakdown of 5 chapters of the book per episode that I listened to after finishing the series and that was really cool too.
I just started the Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones books) by George R.R. Martin. I finished the first book yesterday and it was incredible.

2 Likes

Boomtown was awesome.

3 Likes

Raised in Captivity by Chuck Klosterman. He calls it fictionalized non-fiction. I’ll read anything Chuck writes, but I found this new book particularly interesting.