PFB+ Debate: City, suburban or rural living?

Which is the better lifestyle?

• City
  • Suburbs
  • Rural

0 voters

Does South Tulsa count as city?

1 Like

It does even though it has a more suburban feel.

1 Like

Love things about all 3. Can’t really vote, to me all 3 are best for 3 different periods of your life.

5 Likes

I like the school district my kids are in, but if it wasn’t for that I’d like to live in midtown Tulsa.

1 Like

I think it also depends on where you are in your life. When I was younger I was glad to live in the city with stuff going on all the time. Once I got kids though that stuff did not matter and thus living in the city was not a good thing for a number of reasons (especially school districts). My last two moves were because of school districts. One into the suburbs which I was not a fan of but all I could afford at the time (that had good schools), and finally to where I am now which while technically is a suburb I would count as more rural since I live on the outer edge of the burb on 5 acres surrounded by wheat fields and outside of any city limits.

4 Likes

Yeah I’m currently in the suburbs and we are saving up to grab 5-10 acres to build a house on.

3 Likes

For me it’s city.

Also it seems like urban/suburban is getting to be a pretty fluid continuum, lots of businesses in what were suburbs.

I’m not sure how rural I could go.

1 Like

Alex OK to manhattan to the burbs to 12 acres in Delaware .
@OSUPSYCHO is right 23 I would’ve had so much fun in NYC . But at 33 I can’t wait to get back out to the country . Never really planned on being in the big city anyway but it was fun and would’ve been more fun at 23.

2 Likes

I like the burbs because I can go into the city and out to the country when I want but neither take long to get to and there is still plenty to do/eat/see. Would only want to live in the city if I also worked in that city

I agree on the unsure of how rural as I like to eat out to much and rural does not give you that option. I am a little further from most restaurants than I prefer but can still get to most I prefer in less than 30 minutes.

1 Like

I’m just not interested in the “in-between” areas. Where “going to the store” means going to a strip mall with a beige Target/Best Buy/Ross/Mattress Firm combo and an Applebee’s and Buffalo Wild Wings in the parking lot.

I’ll happily pony up for private schools to avoid living in that hellscape that is Plano/Frisco/Lewisville.

But I would love nothing more than to grab up 20-40 acres somewhere and live that life. It appeals to me quite a bit as I get older. If I can do it down in between Austin and San Antonio, that’s ideal. I’ve also been pretty clear with the lady that if she wants to go back to New England, I’m all for it. Find a place in New Hampshire to homestead.

6 Likes

I live In Stillwater but work close to downtown Oklahoma City- the only time I hate commute is on Friday afternoons.

Growing up in Enid I prefer small city vs. suburbs/larger city.

This sounds like what my slice of heaven would be.

Wow my work just extended work from home indefinitely to our entire global workforce that is able (meaning their job duties don’t legally have to be done onsite). Previously it was just for the US only and more of a stop gap covid measure. Now they are saying it will basically be the model moving forward. This is a G500 company and I bet we are not the only ones that do this. Thus the whole where to live is going to change.

3 Likes

My take on the outcome of this is that 2nd tier cities like Tulsa and 3rd tier cities like OKC will really benefit. They can provide most of what you get in more expensive places with lower cost of living.

8 Likes

Well done :clap:t2: :clap:t2: :clap:t2:

4 Likes

If it weren’t for our dogs, I’d be in an apartment in Deep Deuce (OKC). There’s an excitement to dining out and being steps away from places to go than being a drive. Although you’d get a PI in Stillwater, not always the case in OKC so I’d prefer walking back from a pub over having to make plans around “going downtown”.

3 Likes

Good analysis.

2 Likes

6 Likes