PFB+ Debate: Who last longer at OSU between Mike Gundy or Mike Boynton?

Tough one with a lot of possibilities. What do you say? I’m going to say Boynton due to him being newer and recruiting better.

1 Like

Logic would say Gundy as we have yet to experience a huge pursuit of Boynton by another school and Gundy has 1) proven he is staying here despite multiple competing offers, 2) continues having the program performing among the “just below the very best” in the country, and 3) has a son coming into the program. My HOPE is that we have both for many more years and that Boynton eventually retires from OSU and that future generations refer to ‘Mr. Iba’, ‘Eddie’, and ‘@thacoachmike’ in equally reverent tones.

14 Likes

I think Gundy will be here through his son’s time at OSU at minimum. So that is what, 2025? I definitely hope Mike Boynton is still here at that time, but that’s an 8 year stay for your first head coaching job which seems high. Gundy is probably a safe bet.

1 Like

If Boynton can get this crew to make post-season noise this season and next and Holder or Weiberg locks him up to a good contract, my money is on Boynton. And honestly, my disgust with Gundy leads me to hope it’s Boynton. I desperately want Boynton to achieve or surpass Eddie status, while I just want Gundy to go jump on the tractor full-time.

1 Like

We need a poll

2 Likes

Need some context. Who will last longer going from this day forward or overall career length?

1 Like

This day forward.

I look at it like this:

Is Mike Gundy going to retire in the next 5-7 years? My impression is this is very likely.

Is Mike Boynton going to start winning? I want to believe but I need it proven. He can recruit but that’s only half the equation. The winning part needs to show progress this year.

Is Mike Boynton going to win so much that a blue blood is going to hire him in the next 5-7 years? It’s possible.

My thoughts are that Gundy’s timeline l
seems pretty set at this point. 5-7 more years to get him through Gunnar’s time and maybe a little longer if we’re set up for a big year. So that means the question is really do we think HCMB is at OSU past 2027ish? I’m honestly not sure, because I think the 2 most likely outcomes are that he’s gone within 3-4 years, either because he gets fired or this year starts a run and a blue blood poaches him, or that he’s around for 15+ years. For some reason I just can’t see him leaving after like 8 years, because I think if a bigger school is going to grab him it’ll happen sooner than that.

3 Likes

Boynton

1 Like

Gundy won’t be leaving until he dies or retires. I hope it’s Boynton because that means some serious success.

6 Likes
  • Mike Gundy
  • Mike Boynton

0 voters

That is my wish vote. I hope Boynton is able to take off, and is willing to stay.

2 Likes

Basically how I feel. If he has success and wants to leave, he is gone. If he has success and stays, he is here until we don’t want him anymore.

2 Likes

I hope it’s Boynton because I think we get Gundy for a Max of six more years.

Kind of a goofy question that is extremely loaded.

2 Likes

Well, it’s the same guy that started the OKC vs Tulsa thread, so…

12 Likes

While I have no possible way of knowing this, it seems like Boynton would be a guy that stays if he has success. Maybe that is just fear after he who shall not be named left, but something about him makes me think he enjoys it here and we’ve already seen him go head to head with the blue bloods on the recruiting side and win, hopefully we can see it on the court soon.

2 Likes

If you listen to Boynton talk about it, he considers OSU an elite program and has since he was a kid. Not to say he wouldn’t take a Kentucky or Duke job if it were to open up and they were interested in him… but I don’t think he’ll make a lateral move to a Syracuse or Ohio State or NC State if they call.

And I’m also confident that if he starts having success, like making a Sweet 16 next season and then the round of 32 the next season, then he will get a long term, well compensated deal. Holder is not afraid to compensate real success… but he is cautious to not make the same mistake he did with Ford, which is what would have happened with Underwood as evidenced by his lack of success at Illinois. And Illinois has had plenty of talent while he has been there.

5 Likes

Every time Boynton talks about Stillwater, OSU, and the community, you can tell that he truly, genuinely loves the place. Some coaches talk a good game (Underwood did) but it doesn’t quite feel like they are sold completely. From everything I’ve heard from Boynton, he wants to put down roots at OSU and make the program elite-tier again. I can honestly see him being in it for the long haul.

2 Likes

Unfortunately Illinois finished the year as a top 25 team…

2 Likes