PFB+ Movie Thread

Joker and thunder road are amazing movies and I can’t get over how good they are.

My roommates and I went to see Joker opening night at the theater here in Stilly (which has been remodeled and has reclining, leather, heated seats now) and were amazed at how good it was. Our general consensus was that Joaquin Phoenix deserves some kind of an award.

Why did they put that CGI blood in the joker??? It was so out of place, I can’t get over it .

I’ve been meaning to see Knives Out, did anyone see that?

Also, Uncut Gems. I normally hate Adam Sandler, but this apparently is one of his best performances.

We saw it New Year’s Eve and loved it. Great characters. Keeps you guessing. Some subtle humor.

I despised Uncut Gems. If you can find a way to like Sandler’s character, you may like it. It’s a very aggressive movie though.

Interesting.

1917 won Best Drama and Best Director last night at Golden Globes. I’m not a big fan of the one take conceit, but I’m still pretty pumped to see it.

Really enjoyed 1917.

Saw 5 of 9 Best Picture nominees in theaters, and probably will get around to seeing Little Women too. Pretty good year for movies.

3 Likes

I am not a movie guy, but my son (home from college) is, so I went to a couple.

1917. It was fine, but not any better. The one-take thing was kind of cool, but I am not smart enough to understand why it added anything to the movie.

Knives Out. Superb. It’s not a movie that I’ll spend a whole lot of time thinking about afterward, but it was an extremely enjoyable two hours. I honestly can’t imagine anyone over the age of 14 or so not enjoying this movie.

6 Likes

Last movie I saw at the theaters was Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. While critics somewhat panned it and there is a bit of Star Wars fatigue out there, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Nice wrap up to the series. Your thoughts?

• Favorite Star Wars movie ever
  • Enjoyed it; Good Star Wars movie
  • Disappointed; Generally Bad Star Wars movie
  • I am so sick of Star Wars

0 voters

I would say disappointed, but not that it was generally bad. I’m disappointed because it was insane to start this trilogy of movies and treat it like a game of telephone. If you plan to make 3 billion+ on 3 movies, you need a really good plan for what is to happen in each of those movies.

Where this movie ended was generally fine, but it had to be so rushed because it had to do away with basically all of The Last Jedi.

5 Likes

I thought The Irishman was criminally overrated. 3.5 hours long? Get lost.

4 Likes

Which must be kind of why I liked it - I was quite disappointed in Star Wars: The Last Jedi (#8). That one was definitely in my “generally bad” Star Wars category.

2 Likes

It was made for a studio that claims sleep is it’s competition. Never forget that Netflix depends on you falling for the sunk cost fallacy.

The Irishman was alright, but man it dragged before and after Hoffa, in my opinion.

1917 was really good. I’m a history guy so I enjoy watching historical films, but one reason it wasn’t great to me is that it isn’t based on truth or part of it is true but enlarged for a movie. Not every movie needs to be based in truth of course but for movies like this I would’ve enjoyed a true story about WW1 better

Knives out was fantastic. I would recommend it to anyone. Ana De Amas was great. Daniel Craig with his southern (Kentucky) accent was perfect. They story was engaging throughout.

3 Likes

I absolutely loved Knives Out. Maybe the most enjoyable movie I’ve seen in a long time. Such a cool twist on the whodunit genre. And yeah, I could watch Daniel Craig with that accent and never get tired of it. Apparently they’ve already started development on a sequel with him solving another mystery, which I’m pumped about.

2 Likes

This is the take I have. I had a lot of fun watching it in theaters, but the plot was all over the place to try and undo all of Rian Johnson’s work in Last Jedi. I have tons of issues with it the further I get away from it, but that doesn’t mean that it wasn’t a fun movie that I enjoyed.

2 Likes

Bad Boys for Life might be my favorite of the series.

Condolences to all the parents who have to take their kids to Doolittle.

1 Like