PFB+ Non-OSU College Sports Thread (Part 2)

He’s certainly entitled to take his shot but hard to see a place for him at the next level, UFL maybe. He’s certainly not an NFL caliber QB. He wasn’t even a starter his last year in college. Hard to see a team taking him on as a project to convert to another position.

1 Like

I’m not advocating for his pro prospects, I’m just guessing at what’s going on in the picture.

I don’t think there is any way he is on a professional roster this summer

6 Likes

He could be a useful practice player for somebody - highly mobile player for defenses to get reps against.

And build their confidence with interceptions in practice. [Did I type that out loud???!!!]

10 Likes

It will give his defense false confidence. The average NFL QB1 is not throwing to the other team that many times. :joy:

1 Like

Careful - SS had about the same number of single season INTs as Bowman :smirk:

You and I have emulated @AccountingPoke - throw down a comment and watch it burn down in here :laughing:

3 Likes

Dude is so weird.

1 Like

Really weird

The painful truth is he made a seriously bad decision deciding he was going to test the market for above average qb. Then decides he wants to come back after bowl practice and expected to start…… Privileged

1 Like

He looks like he’s doing what I probably would have been doing if I had $500k in the bank coming out of college with no degree and no interest in getting a real job. It’s all fun and games until it’s not. Hope he invests well. Otherwise its going to be all downhill from here.

1 Like

He bet on himself. And lost. No matter which side of the argument you (or anybody else, myself included) sit on, it’s a sad cautionary tale. Do you think Gundy would have let him come back if it would have been under different circumstances?

2 Likes

I think there’s a world where he could have, but with the egos on both of them it would have been hard to get there.

2 Likes

I’m not one to defend SS, but it looks like he’s over in SoCal training and probably putting together more film with other former college players. Far worse QBs have made NFL practice squads or rosters. And if that doesn’t happen, he can go up to Canada and play. The talent is there……but no team is going to keep around a practice player who has an attitude issue. Might be a good idea to humble himself a little first.

7 Likes

Seemed like Spencer crossed a line somewhere in there. We’ll probably never fully know what caused all the locker room issues but he seemed to be at the center of it. As much as Gundy preaches about the Cowboy Culture, not sure how he could have justified bringing Spencer back.

3 Likes

Cowboy Culture is dead in NIL era. Time to get phat stacks and bring home bags. Doesn’t matter where you play anymore if they got the money you think you’re worth.

3 Likes

NIL is obviously important, but I still think finding the right players is more important than finding the best ones. And in that case, not having the most NIL doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t still build the best team.

Two perfect examples are Gundy continuing to go to the B12 title game with constant relatively poorly rated classes and MB continuing to fall on his face with constant relatively high rates classes.

Definitely misinterpreted your post, but I’ll leave the point. :joy:

6 Likes

It was mostly sarcasm. I just don’t see a path forward for OSU. Example is how much work went into trying to keep Ollie Gordan. A practical nobody on the recruiting cycle that was correctly scouted, evaluated, and developed. One year later they had to move mountains to keep him. ONE PLAYER. They are going to have to do this 5 to 22 fold EVERY YEAR. It’s got to be exhausting.

5 Likes

Not to mention, the average player pay is just going to keep increasing year after year. It’s going to be insane in 5, 10, 20 etc years.

1 Like

Good points. I do think it’ll be corrected sooner or later. They’ll find in time that for a large number of these kids it’s creating lifelong problems.

2 Likes

At some point this will be corrected. Kids will have to sign contracts either for a year or multi year deals. A salary cap will probably be implemented as well.

This wild west stuff is going to end eventually.

the question is when? maybe when the SEC and B1G split and form their super conference

2 Likes

Maybe then yeah. Right now they are just benefiting from it at no cost to themselves.

Their only real cost is the redirection of booster funds from their own pockets to the kid’s pockets. That has to take a toll as some point too right?

1 Like