PFB+ Non-OSU College Sports Thread (Part 1)

There’s being critical and then there’s being negative. Not always the same thing.

1 Like

Not always, no. But they aren’t always different either. That’s what I mean about nuance.

1 Like

I’m a fairly positive person and I’m not a fan of Gundy at all. A large portion of not liking him much anymore is how he comes across as dismissive, defensive and negative towards younger generations. Add in his regressive political rants and it’s just not for me.

3 Likes

(Insert “I disliked Gundy before it was cool” meme…)

I’ve always hated his general indifference toward the defensive side of the ball.

(YES, WE HAVE IMPROVED THIS SEASON, DON’T NEED TO BE REMINDED.)

But think if, after 2011 and having one of the most prolific offenses ever, he said, “you know, we’ve developed a great offensive thing here, let’s start really building a great defense to go with it”. I wouldn’t feel the way I do. For myself, personally, he can redeem himself in a few ways (start beating OU more often, for one), and I will change my tune.

I’ll take it one step further, there’s thoughtful criticism, angry criticism, vengeance, lunacy, idiocy, and being thin skinned. I only see twitter when I link through it from a web site so it’s a small sample size but from that sample I’d say about 80% are in the last 4 the thin skin taking a slim majority, maybe around 15% in the angry category and stretching it, 5% in the thoughtful category.
Age does tend to factor in

You are right these are not the same

1 Like

O-VER-RATED! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

While sitting at home pondering if UT was the most overrated program year in and year out since 2010, I decided I’d put my Saturday night lameness and over-stat-sportsing to use. I wanted a way to measure it. So since 2010 I tracked every Preseason AP poll and then compared to the Postseason AP Poll. The results were fun. UT is not the most overrated by using this method, but they were close. Adam Lunt and @CarsonCunningham’s boys, sadly for them, were. Here are the rules :

1. ‘Points’ are awarded as 1 point for every spot below 25th rank you are, times the number of years you have been ranked.
  2. Variance is defined as Postseason points minus Preseason points. If your number is negative, you were “Overrated” to start the season. If you had a positive number of points you were “Underrated” to start the year.
  3. Yes, this obviously has the flaw of using the AP post season logic to criticize AP preseason logic. But…just…don’t worry about that.
  4. P5 conferences will typically tend to be more ‘overrated’ due to not many people ranking Group of 5’s in preseason polls.
  5. Voters (as we all know) default towards helmets only in the preseason, as is evident by 22 overall fewer teams being represented in preseason polls than post.

Overrated Results :

Underrated Results :

Conference Results :

Link to the full spreadsheet :

8 Likes

Well done.

1 Like

This has been a tough month for Kentucky.

On one hand, :joy: .
On the other…:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

Esecpn headlines that didn’t age well;

1 Like

Hah, told my wife about that!

Texas is giving their AD and 18 million fully guaranteed contract, but Del Conte will have to pay the balance of he leaves.

If this is showing up in AD contracts you have to think it will start becoming the norm in coach contracts as well.

Well done. That’s pretty interesting stuff.

1 Like

What a stat.

6 Likes

and still has made a Big 12 championship game in that span.

1 Like

Another one.

That just doesn’t seem right…

That WSU/UCLA game was the most insane thing that I’ve ever watched.

Is this Shaka Smart’s last year on the 40 acres? Georgetown just ran them out of the gym. His teams have been just as overrated as any of the UT football coaches in the last half dozen years.

3 Likes

Wow. Grant Calcaterra (OU) is retiring due to too many concussions. Regardless of being glad to not see him against our Cowboys again, it’s a shame to see such a young kid step away from the sport because of stuff like that. Best of luck to him.

5 Likes

@DrCCowboy was he a major contributor for
Them ?