PFB+ Q&A: Four-Star Defensive Back Jordan Sanford Talks OSU Visit, Recruitment Takeoff

Jordan Sanford has seen a meteoric rise up the rankings this offseason, and he visited Oklahoma State last week on an official basis.

When Sanford, a four-star defensive back, finished his junior season at Mansfield Timberview (TX), he didn't have a Division-I offer. Now, he has 18, including to the likes of OSU, Michigan, Texas Tech, TCU, Utah, Northwestern and others. Sanford cut his list down to nine schools at the beginning of June, and the Cowboys are still in contention.

He first appeared in the composite rankings in February and has climbed to the No. 315 player in the country thanks in large part to his blazing speed. He came in seventh at the Texas UIL 5A State Championships in the 100-meters, finishing in 10.57.

Sanford spoke with PFB on Wednesday evening to discuss his OSU visit and his rise in the rankings.

PFB: To start, how was your official visit at Oklahoma State?

Jordan Sanford: "I really enjoyed it. I was able to meet a lot of people, meet a lot of recruits and the players, as well."

PFB: A lot of people won't ever go on a Division-I football visit. Can you take us through step-by-step of what all you get to do?

JS: "First, it depends the day that they bring you in. They usually bring you in sometime in the afternoon and you get your hotel, chill for a little bit and then go out to eat that night. And then just go chill at their house or like bowling or go back to a locker room or go to the player lounge, whatever. Next day, just campus tours, photoshoot, eating -- there's lots of food. And then really just hanging out with the players a lot because those are going to be your teammates and you want to get a feel with them and see if you fit right with them."

PFB: Where'd they take you out to eat?

JS: "We went to The Garage. It's right next to the facility. We went to some steakhouse. And then we went to a barbecue place maybe like five or 10 minutes away, in Stillwater."

PFB: What are your overall thoughts on Oklahoma State?

JS: "Really, I really enjoyed my visit and I like them a lot because of the stability with Coach [Mike] Gundy. He seems like a real businessman, and I can tell that he cares for his players. I just feel like they're a factory. They can compete with Oklahoma and Texas. They just show that they're a powerhouse program."

PFB: Do you have a timetable on when you'd like to make a college decision by?

JS: "I think I want to make one before senior year, so I can just enjoy senior year and play football and enjoy it as a kid."

PFB: You've flown up the rankings since your first offer (Arkansas) came in December. What have this last six or seven months been like for you going from no offers to a four-star guy visiting schools all around the country?

JS: "It's really been a blessing because I've been able to see both sides of recruitment -- like having no offers, going to all these camps and really hoping and praying for your first one. Then I've also been on the other side of recruitment -- getting phone calls from coaches all day. It's really just been a blessing. I'm glad to be in this position."

PFB: What was it like when you finally got that first offer?

JS: "It was exciting. It was an unbelievable moment. I can't even describe it. I was just really excited."

PFB: Was there a time last year where you were wondering if you were going to play college football? What was going through your head as you were waiting on an offer?

JS: "I don't think I really thought of it like that because I was just worried about trying to win a state championship. I feel like when you worry about the right things, everything plays its part."

PFB: Lastly, what are you looking for in a college program? What is important to you?

JS: "Out of everything, I want to say the people I'm playing with, the players, if I feel I fit right with them."

6 Likes

Woah, can’t believe he said that! :heart_eyes:

11 Likes