PFB+ Q&A: Four-Star Receiver Gekyle Baker Recaps Oklahoma State Official Visit

Kasey Dunn was in early on small-town Texas receiver Gekyle Baker, and it appears to be paying off.

Baker, now a four-star prospect, took an official visit to Oklahoma State this past weekend. Oklahoma State was Baker’s second Division-I offer, coming after only UTSA. Baker is the No. 91 player in the 2024 class, according to 247Sports.

He is from Brownsboro, Texas, a town of about 1,200 people. Listed at 6-foot-2, 170 pounds, Baker has caught 102 passes for 1,793 yards and 20 touchdowns in the past two season.

Baker spoke with PFB on Monday morning to recap his visit.

PFB: How was the visit?

Baker: “The visit was great. It was just great.”

PFB: What were some of your favorite parts?

Baker: “We at a lot. And hanging out with the team and just listening to Coach Dunn talk, very smart guy. And the photo shoot.”

PFB: What was it like speaking with Coach Dunn?

Baker: “He seems like he knows what he’s talking about and can develop my skill so I can go to the next level.”

PFB: Did you have a player host?

Baker: “I did, I had Brennan Presley.”

PFB: What was it like hanging out with him?

Baker: “It was fun. We talked about how it would look if I came up there to OSU and gave me some pointers. It was cool. He was a great mentor.”

PFB: What was it like when your recruiting started to get going? I imagine being a small-town kid especially it was a big deal?

Baker: “It was kind of crazy because in a small town you don’t really get seen as much as the bigger schools. It was just exciting.”

PFB: OSU has had success with small-town receivers like James Washington and Justin Blackmon. Did the coaches talk with you about that at all?

Baker: "I got to talk to James Washington over the phone, and he was just telling me he came from a small town and Coach Dunn gave him a shot and just pushed him and helped him improve his skills to get better. And now look at him, he’s in the pros.

“It was crazy moment. I had never talked with an NFL player before.”

PFB: What does the rest of your visit schedule look like?

Baker: “I have TCU June 15, and I got K-State the 27th.”

PFB: Do you have a timetable as far as a commitment date?

Baker: “Right now I’m just going with the flow.”

8 Likes

Sounds like great guy. Hopefully we land him. TCU and Kstate, the 2022 Big 12 championship participants, been doing way better these days.

1 Like

Does Baker want to farm like James Washington? If so, they need to stay in regular contact.

1 Like

Glad James is willing to get on the phone with recruits

4 Likes

16 months ago TCU missed a bowl game altogether and we were in the title game. BU squeaked out a .500 season right after winning the league and the sugar bowl, with everyone saying they were the new top dogs in the conference. Each season is vastly different lol

1 Like

100%, the difference is TCU is taking advantage of their good year with respect to recruiting. TCU has always been recruiting better than us, but last year, they left rest of the Big 12 in dust. created some separation. Its just one year now, not a trend. We should hope it doesnt become a trend.

2 Likes

Yeah, the main reason I’m not freaking out is we never turn our good seasons into dominant recruiting runs, but we always end up right back in a 10-2, 11-1 season within the next couple of years anyways.

2 Likes

I liked this kids YAC yards. I like him

1 Like