PFB+ Q&A: Justin McBride Talks Official Visit, What He Likes about OSU, Timetable

Last weekend was big for Oklahoma State in terms of kicking off its 2022 football season, but it was also a big one for Mike Boynton and the basketball staff.

Boynton hosted two four-star prospects in the 2023 class in Justin McBride and Dennis Parker. A 6-foot-7, 210-pound stretch forward, McBride was AAU teammates with OSU commit Jamyron Keller this summer, and McBride picked up his OSU offer while that Drive Nation team was at Peach Jam, the same place Keller silently committed to OSU.

McBride is the No. 118 player in the composite rankings. He spoke over the phone with PFB Monday evening.

PFB: How was your visit at Oklahoma State?

Justin McBride: "It was a great visit. The coaching staff was great. The players were great. There was a great camaraderie and great chemistry there."

PFB: What was your favorite part of the visit?

JM: "Probably the film part. They showed my game and stuff like that. They showed my game on film and what they play and stuff like that."

PFB: What was that like?

JM: "They say I can become that playmaker, a forward who can make plays. If there's a littler person on me, I can post them up. I can make plays."

PFB: What are your thoughts on Oklahoma State as a whole?

JM: "At first it's responsibility because at the campus, you have no curfew, so you have to make responsible choices of what you do and just playing together as a team. I think there's such a family down there on each level."

PFB: You played AAU ball with OSU commit Jamyron Keller, what has him recruiting you been like?

JM: "It's been good. He told me at Peach he wanted to go there, so we've been talking about it a lot before I went there."

PFB: OSU offered you while you were at Peach. Can you tell me that story of how they offered?

JM: "It was good because I was kind of going off. I was shooting like 90% from the field, 80% from the field. It was great. And then they called me up, I think after I played Team Melo and I had 33. They were telling me that they were watching me the whole time, they like my game and they like how I push the ball."

PFB: Had you talked much with them before or was that new?

JM: "Nah, it was kind of new."

PFB: You've had a roller coaster of a recruiting process. How have you stayed calm through that?

JM: "Just watching a lot of film. A lot of film was the biggest part and then just looking at every campus does."

PFB: When you watch that film, what are you looking for?

JM: "Especially transition, like who is the fastest to get it down the court because I think pushing the ball, making plays can take you to the next level because it's all what the league is. And I think just with my teammates, being a family. People will make mistakes, but you got to pick them up as a person."

PFB: You visited the same time as Dennis Parker. Did you know him before? What was that like?

JM: "Oh, yeah, Dennis Parker was cool. I knew him because he went to USA with me, too. We had a great relationship just talking, just becoming friends."

PFB: Did he seem to be enjoying his visit?

JM: "Yeah, he enjoyed it a lot. What he told me, he could become that good wing player that can push the rock to make plays because he's a really elite player, I think. In my opinion, he's definitely Top 20."

PFB: What other visits do you have coming up?

"I've got Arizona State this weekend, Kansas State the next weekend and then probably VCU and Santa Clara."

PFB: Do you have a timetable on when you want to make a decision by?

JM: "Probably early October."

9 Likes