PFB+ Q&A: New OSU Commit Parker Friedrichsen on Commitment, Who He Is Recruiting

Oklahoma State became just the second program in the Big 12 to have a 2023 basketball commit when Parker Friedrichsen announced his intentions to play in Stillwater on Monday.

A four-star prospect ranked 104th in his class, Friedrichsen chose the Cowboys over offers from Iowa, Purdue, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Illinois, Missouri and others. Friedrichsen spoke with PFB on Tuesday morning about his commitment.

PFB: We've talked in the past about what you liked about Oklahoma State and what you were looking for in a program, but why Oklahoma State and why now?

Parker Friedrichsen: "I just got that feeling. It was like when you know, you know. And I wanted to wait until the college basketball season was over for all the schools that were recruiting me. But, I took my visit to Oklahoma State, and I was just like, 'I'm not going to get a better feeling than here.' This is where I want to be. I want to play for Coach Mike, I want to be close to home and I think I'm going to fit really well with them."

PFB: How did you tell Mike you were committed, and what was that conversation like with him?

PF: "Yeah, so I do online school. So, I went over there during the day, and everybody was there except for Coach [Larry] Blunt. I was in the office, and I was just kind of explaining my whole process and I just kind of thanked them for the whole visit weekend. I think my words were, 'I'm not gonna find a place like this, and this is where I want to be. I want to play for you guys, and I'm in.' That's how it went down. And they're all really excited. It was fun."

PFB: Mike tweeted out the Steph Curry gif. What was that like?

PF: "Yeah, we were texting, and I was like, 'Coach, I'm about to put the video out in like 40 minutes.' He's like, 'OK, I'm about to put something out first.' It was cool. It obviously got people excited and got people wondering, so it was fun."

PFB: Now that you are committed have you started to put thought into recruiting other guys to play with you? The 2023 class is stacked in Oklahoma with guys like yourself, Brandon Garrison (Del City) and Jeremiah Johnson (Norman North) and Trent Pierce (Union).

PF: "Yeah, for sure. Honestly, me and Coach Mike talked about this, trying to go get them together. I've been blowing up BG's phone already. That's who I've been talking to the most. I'm not really close with the other two, but yeah, for sure. Coach Mike, he's big on players are your best recruiters. It's gonna be fun. I'm excited to go try to get more kids to OSU because I think that we're gonna do something special."

PFB: What has Brandon's response been to you blowing his phone up?

"He's just been sending me back like eye emojis and asking what kind of made my decision. He's one of my friends, though, so it's easy to talk to him."

PFB: You obviously have another year of high school ball, but what are some things you think will translate about your game to the college level and what are some things you need to work on before getting to OSU?

PF: "I think I have everything on offense that will translate, especially playing for Coach Mike. He'll put me in position to be successful. I think my biggest thing is just getting my body right. In the Big 12, you're gonna be playing against 22, 23 year olds, and I'll be 18, 19. So, I think just getting physically ready. I'm not really worried about it. It's just going to take one summer, I think, right when I get there. Just adjusting to the speed of the game, I'll need to work on that. And then, getting strong because I'm going to be playing against grown men pretty much, 24 year olds. So, I would say that. My defense isn't terrible, but it could always be better. So I would say just growing a little on defense, understanding where to be, when to be there. Yeah, I got stuff to work on, but I feel like Coach Mike will put me in positions to be successful on the offensive end."

PFB: What is your favorite or most comfortable spot on the floor to shoot from and why?

PF: "For some reason, I shoot really well from the right wing. Obviously being a quote, unquote shooter, I don't really have a favorite, but I feel like I have a really, really high percentage from the right wing."

PFB: What is your favorite color

PF: "It's orange now. It's gotta be."

PFB: Alright, this is the wild one they came to the conclusion to ask: Would you rather fight one LeBron James-sized duck or 100 duck-sized LeBrons?

"Oh, I'm just gonna fight one."

22 Likes

That last question is why I subscribe.

9 Likes

Even though he gave the wrong answer, I enjoy these types of questions.

2 Likes

I’m with the guy. It’s not like normal sized ducks are tiny by any means. Duck’s grow on average to around 2- 2 1/2 feet, which basically is at or above your knees. Could you imagine ONE HUNDRED Lebron james that size coming at you? Gimme one LBJ sized duck and imma knock his beak backwards.

Didn’t expect to spend my afternoon researching average duck height but here we are.

6 Likes

You would be slaughtered in either scenario. :rofl:

4 Likes

100 duck sized super athletes fighting you all at once is terrifying. Now if it were 100 duck sized average Americans then maybe…

4 Likes

The question just makes me laugh because the idea of a bunch of 2 foot Lebrons running around is so funny.

6 Likes

Let me tell you about the action economy…

I would punt the hell out of 100 duck sized Lebrons. I’ve stood next to Lebron. The dude is unbelievably huge. I’m assuming the duck is equally beefy and also has a bad attitude.

2 Likes

I fear we may never agree on this one, my good sir.

if the 100 LeBrons are just scaled versions, and a midpoint for that size is 2.25 feet, each of the fighters would weigh 83 pounds (1/3 of his 250 proportional to his 6’9" height"). That’s 8300 pounds of LeBron James charging at you.

4 Likes

My wife is taking your side on this one. It did occur to me that what if the duck sized lebrons could go voltron and form one even bigger lebron. That’s some fever dream stuff right there.

4 Likes

I think you just found the Avengers’ next villain…

1 Like

At first I read this as each of the fingers would weigh that much… :joy:

1 Like

A 4 ton Lebron megazoid would be something

1 Like

The main thing I’ve learned from all of this is I never realized ducks could be up to 2.5 feet tall. They just don’t look that big. Geese for sure, but not ducks. That is not something I thought I would’ve have ever learned from this thread, but here we are.

4 Likes

you have to risk your chances with the one duck, only correct answer

2 Likes

Ya’ll remember the old saying if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, then it’s a duck? Well, this thread has become a duck.