PFB+ Q&A: OSU Commit Quion Williams on Boynton, Cade, Conference Realignment

The Cowboys picked up their first commitment in the 2022 class Wednesday in Quion Williams.

Williams spoke with PFB on his commitment, struggles he has had to overcome to get to this point, Cade Cunningham and whether conference realignment made the decision more difficult.

Marshall Scott: "Why Oklahoma State?"

Quion Williams: "It was the best fit for me. When I was first picking up my offers, everybody was recruiting me to be a wing. Oklahoma State started recruiting me as a guard. So, they trust me to put the ball in my hands and make plays for my teammates. That's a big reason."

MS: "What has Mike Boynton’s message to you been? What does he like about you?"

QW: "He said I remind him of himself growing up, having overcome a lot of things, beat the odds, and now going to college for free. He just said I remind himself a lot. And he thinks it'd be a best fit for me to go there."

MS: "What are some of those odds that you've had to overcome?"

QW: "I've been in high school almost four years, and I've played 12 games. Twelve games and I'm about to be a senior. I had moved states. Nobody knew me, it took me three months, now the whole world knows. I keep overcoming the odds."

MS: "What has been the cause of only playing 12 games?"

QW: "I transferred schools, the UIL (University Interscholastic League)."

MS: "I saw on your Twitter that you recently had a surgery, what happened?"

QW: "Yeah, so recently I tore my meniscus. Yesterday with my first surgery ever."

MS: "How much more attractive did OSU become watching Cade Cunningham be taken No. 1 in the draft."

"They already knew Cade was going 1, everybody knew Cade was going No. 1. But for Coach Mike to always be on move and still be able to find time to hit me up, that meant a lot. There was one time where me and Coach Mike would call each other, and he'll be, 'Oh, I'm in New York,' or somewhere with Cade. And he still made time. Him and Coach T [Terrence Rencher] will make time to connect with me. So that's big."

MS: "Has Coach Mike talked with you at all about the conference realignment stuff? Did that deter your decision at all?"

QW: "Nah, I put trust in Coach Mike like he put trust in me."

15 Likes

Let’s go!!!

2 Likes

Some quick Quion Williams facts:

• Pronounced “key-on”

• Moved to Texas from Arkansas, if you remember from my first Q&A with him.

• Between having to sit out after transferring schools and the pandemic, he has played in 12 high school games, explaining him being underrated.

• Started to take off this summer, as he entered April with one offer before gaining offers from A&M, Tech, TCU, Ole Miss, Georgia and others.

• Had surgery on his meniscus yesterday

3 Likes

Lol, HCMB is such a likable guy

13 Likes

So I’m curious, is it 12 games in HS in all competitions or just 12 games for a HS team? Don’t some of these kids get most of their hype from their AAU stuff and not from HS?

That is why he is taking off this summer playing with Southern Assault, they have quite a few very talented players

12 high school games. He has played many more AAU games.

So are HS games that important? Don’t most of these kids make the most noise in AAU?

A lot of players’ AAU games are much more competitive than their high school games, but it’s gotta stink for any high school kid to not have the opportunity to represent his school.

they are pretty much not important at all from recruiting standpoint

Unless you’re at a Sierra canyon or verde

HS is still big in some areas