PFB+ Q&A: Quion Williams Talks Oklahoma State Offer

Quion Williams was one of the major standouts to come out of the TABC Showcase, one of the first prep events that college coaches could attend in more than a year.

His performance Friday led to Oklahoma State offering him. He has also picked up offers from Ole Miss and Georgia this weekend. Out of Mansfield Legacy, Williams doesn't even have a 247Sports ranking yet, but that will soon change.

He spoke with PFB on Friday night after receiving his OSU offer.

Marshall Scott: "How did it happen? How did OSU end up offering you?"

Quion Williams: "My uncle has been talking to one of the assistant coaches. Recently, they hit me up. We've just been having conversations back and forth here and there. He told me Coach Mike was going to call and tell me come to visit. He did, and the day of the visit, they had canceled it because Coach Mike had to go out of town -- that was the 21st. After that we just been communicating. Today, he saw me at the showcase. Later that day he hit me on Twitter, and then he offered me when I called him."

MS: "What did Mike say when he offered?"

QW: "Like, I'm a dog, that I fit great into their system. I'm just a go-getter. I create for my teammates and also get a bucket when needed. He said I fit perfect into his program. He offered me on the spot."

MS: "You said they've been talking to you, how long have you been in contact with OSU?"

QW: "It's probably been about two weeks."

MS: "Do you know any of the guys at OSU? What are your thoughts on the program?"

QW: "I know Isaac, they call him Ice. He's from Mansfield, and he recently played for the same AAU team I play. So, when he came back, I got to know him. He was just telling me how he liked Coach Mike and how he's a true leader, not even just because he's the coach but just like his personality."

MS: "Looking at you on some recruiting services, you have a lot of offers, but you're unranked. Have you played with a chip on you shoulder because of that recently?"

QW: "No, not really. I don't really care about rankings. I've always been the underdog in my life. Where I'm come from, I didn't even know what 247 was until I got down here, actually. I just knew like ESPN Top 100, that's it. It wasn't until I got down here and people were like, 'Oh, you're on 247.' I just looked at it one time and they didn't have nothing on there, so I just forgot it."

MS: "How would you describe your game to somebody who hasn't got to see you play yet?"

QW: "People who have seen me play, they think I'm a slasher, but really people sleep on my ability, say that I'm a two guard. Just because I'm big, 6-4, and I can jump out of the gym, that don't mean nothing. I am a true point guard. I know how to set my teammates up, pick the right spots, run an offense, bring a teammate in, calm it down, set up plays, all that. People don't see that, but they seen that this weekend."

MS: "You mentioned you had an OSU visit planned that had to get moved, do you plan on making it up there?"

QW: "Yes, sir. We're talking about it now."

MS: "Have you been on other visits or are there other places you plan to visit?"

QW: "I already went and saw TCU, and I got A&M coming up this Wednesday."

MS: "You're obviously on that Southern Assault team, teammates with Keyonte George. I'm sure you guys get asked about him quite a bit, but what is it like playing alongside him?"

QW: "You feel his presence. He's there. It's hard not to. But then outside of being a basketball player, he's a regular dude. Most guards when they get tired, they get to shooting bad stuff, but Keyonte, he's just like a regular guard, pass the ball, set a teammate up. He don't try to force. Most people who got rankings, they feel like they should be ball dominant, but Keyonte, he doesn't need the ball. He plays without the ball really well."

MS: "Have you always lived in Mansfield?"

QW: "No sir, I recently moved like two years ago. I moved from Jonesboro, Arkansas."

MS: "Growing up in Arkansas, did you grow up an Arkansas fan? Who did you cheer for when you were little?"

QW: "I really didn't watch sports growing up. I was really a football player until I started getting itchy, itchy. And I just had to change that. I didn't like getting itchy. I could play basketball, but I was just more into football. Then I started getting itchy, and I was like, 'Nah, I can't do that.'

"My cousin [Desi Sills] recently went to Arkansas for a couple years then he transferred. So recently, I just been cheering for my cousin. I like the coach, Eric Musselman, the way he runs his system."

5 Likes
2 Likes