PFB+ Q&A: Recent OSU Offer Jamyron Keller Talks Oklahoma State Visit

Jamyron Keller's process with Oklahoma State is moving quickly.

Keller, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Killeen, Texas, announced his OSU offer June 12. Within a week, he was in Stillwater for an official visit.

It feels like Keller's recruitment is just starting to take off with recent offers from Kansas State and OSU. A lot of that has to do with the work he has put in with Drive Nation on Nike's EYBL circuit this summer. Through three sessions, Keller is averaging 10.1 points and 2.7 assists in about 24 minutes a game. Keller is still under the rankings radar, though. He is the No. 170 player in the 2023 composite rankings and a three-star recruit.

Keller spoke with PFB this past weekend about his OSU visit and his recruitment as a whole.

PFB: How was your Oklahoma State visit?

Jamyron Keller: "It was everything and more. I love the coaching staff. I love the environment. I just liked all of it."

PFB: Some people like the photoshoot, some people like the food, what was your favorite part of the visit?

JK: "I'd have to say watching practice. They get to it in there."

PFB: You mentioned at the top you like the coaching staff, but what are your overall thoughts on Oklahoma State?

JK: "It's somewhere I can go and play in a great league and just better myself and get to that next level."

PFB: What was it like when Oklahoma State offered? Can you tell me the story of how it happened?

JK: "It was surprising. It caught me off guard. I didn't think I was gonna get it as early as I did. My emotions were all over the place.

"Coach Rench [OSU assistant Terrence Rencher], he called me, like the day before had called me. He was like, 'What's good young fella? We've been evaluating you for a minute, we really like you and I'm gonna have my head coach,' -- because at this time Coach Boynton was in Mexico with USA. He was like, 'I'm gonna have my head coach call you tomorrow when he's back.' And then we kind of like just talked it up a little bit. The next day, it was a Sunday, I just got out of church, and me and my mom were on our way to get something to eat. Coach Mike called me, and he was like, 'Hey, how you doing? This is Mike Boynton.' He was like, 'I just want to be with you guys.' And then he dropped the offer. I was just like, 'Man.'"

PFB: How did you end up visiting so quickly? That felt like a quick turnaround between your offer and your visit.

JK: "So, originally, it was supposed to be Xavier. They canceled, and I realized Oklahoma State would be a place I would actually go -- Big 12 and the coaches seem really cool. So, I had my mom talk to them and say the earliest day we can get up there, that's when we want to come. They threw out dates for her last week and we went. We definitely took that."

PFB: What have the coaches' pitch to you been? What do they like about you?

JK: "Just that I affect winning and they're gonna need a point guard in about a year, a year and a half. They're gonna need a point guard, and they think I'm the right guy for the job."

PFB: Do you know any players on the team?

JK: "Chris (Harris). I know Q [Quion Williams]. I know a couple guys. I got to meet a couple of guys also. I got to meet Avery (Anderson) and guys like that."

PFB: What do you think about the roster? What was it like hanging out with them?

JK: "I loved those guys, man. We instantly clicked. It wasn't awkward or anything, so I really liked those guys."

PFB: Do you have any other visits planned?

JK: "We haven't really talked about it. So as of right now, no, but if they say something, then it will be a possibility."

PFB: In the past month or so you've gotten two Big 12 offers. Does it feel like your recruitment is starting to take off?

JK: "Yeah, a little bit. I feel like everybody's starting to notice a little bit. I definitely do feel like it's my time up."

PFB: Do you have a timetable on when you'd like to commit to a program?

JK: "In the fall, and I told Coach Boynton this and Coach Rench. I was just like, 'I just want to make my decision when I have time to think about it and not make it based off of emotion -- that I actually feel that's the best place for me."

PFB: So when you do take the emotion out of it, what are you looking for in a program?

JK: "Definitely a big platform, but bigger than that I want it to have just a family feel. I don't want to go there and be all on my own. I want to have a family-oriented feel, like I can go to a coach about anything, the team is really close, somewhere I know I can thrive but also have help because I'm going to be away from home. It's gonna be a tough transition, and I just want to know the coaches have my back on that."

6 Likes