PFB+: Q&A with 2022 Defensive End Commit Landon Dean

Wednesday was a big day for Oklahoma State recruiting.

The Cowboys' coaching staff picked up a trio of commitments for the Pokes' 2022 class in Cameron Epps, Landon Dean and Mason Gilkey.

PFB got the opportunity to speak with Dean, a 6-foot-4, 230-pound defensive end from Kansas, over the phone Wednesday night. Here is what he had to say about his pledge to OSU.

Marshall Scott: Why Oklahoma State?

Landon Dean: "Oklahoma State, that's a big deal. Once I got narrowed down to them and Kansas State, they really picked up the recruiting. I've done several virtual visits with the coaches and saw the campus and even went down there and walked on the campus on a academic visit. Built several good relationships with the coaches and just had that gut feeling that they were the one, so I went with it."

MS: You mentioned being able to physically come to the campus, not a lot of guys have gotten to do that. What did you like about the campus?

LD: "Just everything about the campus: where it was at, the town. It just felt like home."

MS: You committed on a day where Cameron Epps also committed, and it looks like another commit is following you. Was that a momentum builder or what made today the day?

LD: "A little bit. Today I woke up, and I was just kind of like, 'I feel like today's the day. I know they're the one. There's no use of really waiting around, so I might as well do it today.'"

MS: When I was on your Twitter page earlier I noticed you followed 2021 OSU signee Aden Kelley. What's your relationship with him like?

LD: "He DMed me a while back once he committed and just introduced himself and said, 'Oklahoma State would be a great place to be,' this and that. Hopefully I can build a strong relationship with him because he's already committed there, too."

MS: I know it's fresh, but are there any guys who you are going to try to get to go with you to Oklahoma State? I know Cade Crawford is another Kansas guy they have offered.

LD: "Maybe. I've been in contact with Caden quite a bit. I've built a pretty good relationship with him, but I think he's pretty set on Kansas State and Nebraska for his top two, so I doubt he'll follow me there."

MS: You being from a small town, I imagine you play other sports? Mike Gundy loves his multi-sport athletes.

LD: "Yep, I do -- football and basketball. I'm the power forward on our team."

MS: You mentioned Joe Bob Clements in your offer tweet and your commitment one. What's your relationship like with him?

LD: "From the moment he called me we instantly bonded. I like Joe Bob. He seems like a great guy, a good coach and just talking with him just really made me feel at home. It's been good to build a strong relationship with him."

MS: And then what's your relationship like with Mike Gundy?

LD: "He's been good to talk to you. I've learned a lot from him. He's always texting me, 'Did you see that play by Jason Pierre-Paul,' this and that. So, I've learned a lot from him, and I really like him as a coach and person, too."

MS: You're a defensive lineman, but on your film you sometimes lineup as an outside receiver. Where do you get your athleticism from?

LD: "My whole family's pretty athletic. Believe it or not, I actually had a cousin that played at Oklahoma (Brannon Green). He played tight end. Right now I have a cousin that's a redshirt freshman at Iowa State playing tight end (Easton Dean). So, it's kind of sporadic, and I even have a brother who played quarterback at a smaller college here in Kansas called Southwestern College. It's in Winfield."

10 Likes

Great stuff! Look forward to him on the field.

1 Like

Mike Gundy texting recruits? I thought he was loser that tried to get kids to go to other schools???

7 Likes

He is. If i can paraphrase, He probably texted him, “did you see that play? Any idea what made it successful? [MG starts jotting down notes] And you think you can do that too? Hmm. So why us? Why osu when you could stay in-state?”

Just a little guess on how it went.

3 Likes

His Twitter account says he is 6’ 6” big kid