PFB+ Softball (Part 2)

Yeah it was officially changed at the beginning of the school year for this season. I know our high school girls couldn’t do it this past fall, but I think it will go into effect for the 2024 season. It needed to either be enforced or changed because it only seemed to apply to certain pitchers at certain schools while others, like Bahl, got away with it all the time.

4 Likes

@AllisonMc So curious on your thoughts as a pitching coach on how this will change how coaches instruct/teach pitching for softball, especially for younger players who will not have played under the old rule? To me, there appears to be a clear biomechanic advantage to not having to keep a foot on the ground, especially for shorter/smaller pitchers. How do you see pitching techniques evolving moving forward? Thanks for providing your expert commentary!

2 Likes

Heads up for anyone interested. I just happened to look and they go on sale tomorrow. No it is not a jinx, I just hate buying on the secondary market and don’t want Pokes spending more than they have to. Plus you can always make some money off a sooner with these. 11 AM CST tomorrow.

4 Likes

Wow. Jordy Bahl is going to have to redshirt this year. Her injury was that bad in game 1.

5 Likes

ACL injury, as much as I despise her she’s a good player and was looking forward to seeing what she could do at Nebraska.

4 Likes

She bumped up in my book after going to Nebraska, lol.

7 Likes

This is a video of it. It didn’t look that serious at first, but it only takes a few pounds of force in the wrong trajectory to tear an ACL, especially in a female. Really odd injury for a pitcher. It looks like she was slightly above ground in the pitch (of course) and just landed awkwardly. I assume she gets a medical hardship waiver and can come back for 2 years.

Was this the reason for the original rule prohibiting the feet leaving the ground, because of the risk of this?

1 Like

I honestly have no clue on the original reason for the “one foot must stay on ground” softball pitching rule that now no longer exists. The great folks in this PFB+ thread got me addicted to OSU softball a couple of years ago, so I’m still relatively young in my softball fandom and softball history/knowledge :smile:

2 Likes

And I guess to clarify, I didn’t mean the only reason for the rule. But maybe just something that factored into it.

1 Like

https://x.com/TheDaringPastry/status/1757801562183733579?s=20

1 Like

Maybe there is legitimacy to this. But to me that just sounds like an easy slap in the face at OSU when really the issue was just as much Kelly - she is smart enough to know that watching film elevates anyone’s play whether at the high school level or the professional level. Trace Ford made similar comments about OU strength & conditioning and yet OSU has way more gas in the tank when playing OU.

3 Likes

She’s become so annoying to me. According to her, she loved the pitching coach and had a good relationship with him. If he would’ve stayed, I’m pretty sure she would have too and now she’s throwing him under the bus too? You don’t have to have film to prepare for pitching. You can look at pitching charts and all kinds of things. It’s not like you don’t know what most teams’ best hitters can do ahead of time anyway and where not to throw to them. Funny it didn’t seem to impact her success here and now she’s being petty? Ou really does change people for the worse.

9 Likes

@travis5266 here is another easy comment for you to bash OU since you are PFB’s OU basher-in-chief :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Wisconsin and Georgia tied 6-6. Top of the 10th. Hope it goes to 20.

5 Likes

I don’t believe for a second that they didn’t watch film when she was here. Honestly, for now, that person doesn’t even exist to me. Just another cog in the machine for them… who cares?

8 Likes

This is the way.

6 Likes

Thank you for the title. I own it with pride. @AllisonMc OU is the pineapple on the pizza of life. Just ruins things. I’ll add more later. Picking up a kiddo from school atm.

5 Likes

Trace was worse for switching sides. Kelly is worse for switching sides. Anyone else who chooses to compete in crimson AFTER competing in America’s brightest orange is worse for having done so.

2 Likes

Woah woah how dare you compare pineapple on pizza to OU. Take it back.

2 Likes