PFB+ Wrestling (Part 2)

Recruiting is on :fire:!!! The most recent commit sounds like a stud. Not on Flo’s 2024 Big Board but will be when they update to 2025.

Breaking the single season takedown record in a state like MN is a good sign.:metal:

11 Likes

3 Likes

5 Likes

The trend with the 3 DT pick ups feels like kids with a lot of talent but maybe not quite a hammer. But also type of kids that have a lot of room to improve and hopefully already buying in to DT system. Excited that on short time he went and grabbed 3 top prospects like that.

If he can show some immediate results with the guys in the room this year I think 2026 could be big time for recruiting.

3 Likes

3 in the top 28 PFP? All top 6 in their weight too. Explain how they are not hammers. The thing that stands out to me (I don’t deep dive into HS recruits BTW) is they are aggressive like DT.

I also saw the MN kid will be at Fargo as the top seed at his weight.

4 Likes

Didn’t Taylor say he wants aggressive wrestlers?

4 Likes

Happy about the pick ups and they’re studs. Wouldn’t call them Hammers though. Reserved for kids like Lockett, Duke, Blaze, Bo etc.

1 Like

I get what you are saying. Let’s hope they have the headroom to make the jump.

I feel like the room is going to be DEEP at most weights. That should help everyone jump levels and help if there are injuries.

This season can’t get here fast enough.

3 Likes

What do you think will be our weakest weight next year? 197? Feels like we at least have a shot at AA at about all of them. Hopefully Surber can unlock a new level and join the party.

1 Like

I’ve always thought Surber had the potential he’s just had some bad luck.

1 Like

197 will be either Surber or Merrill. Both has top 10 potential. Will be interesting to see how much DT coaches them to be better.

4 Likes

A healthy Surber is definitely a Top 10 guy. The question is if he can stay healthy. Sure would be nice if he could be healthy and peak this year with an AA type season so we can redshirt Merrill.

I also think 149 might be the ‘weakest’ weight.

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see the style of wrestling we do compared to Johns

1 Like

I’m not a wrestling buff, but everyone makes it sound like DT style is polar opposite. It appeared John had Dayton and others go super conservative on offense and try to ride guys out whereas DT seems to push guys to be very aggressive to score as much as possible no matter what.

3 Likes

Exactly like I take it. Daton got screwed one year in the championship. Other three years he just got beat , but yes from what I’ve seen DT style is much more aggressive. He said if you’re up four , try to get up 8 , then 10-12 Everyone loves John Smith but his style wasn’t a style everyone could do. I think Chad hit a home run with this hire.

5 Likes

John Smith absolutely wanted points. I think (emphasis on the think) that one of the issues was he was expecting the team to wrestle a certain way and that wasn’t working for the whole team. You have to tailor it to everyone’s strengths. Also we were tired by post season. Everyone can agree with that.

5 Likes

Please expound. Curious to hear more given my overly simplistic perspective.

1 Like

I think he’s meaning the boys were worked extremely hard over the year and had nothing left in the tank around conference and championship weeks ?
Not many could pick ankles like John could

2 Likes

I also take it as John teaching/training the kids based on what worked for him, as opposed to figuring out the kid’s strengths and teaching them to excel with those strengths. So, the smallest guys have the same teaching/training as the biggest guys when they needed to be trained taught different moves/styles.

3 Likes

From some conversations I’ve had it was apparent that 125-HWT all had the same plan and idea of how they should wrestle. Definitely was meant to be aggressive, but as michael13 said not everyone can pick an ankle like Smith. Now obviously this is a loose statement as everyone still has their own strengths but the underlying point is more so that we aren’t getting guys better consistently enough and that’s likely due to our coaching plan.

It was also obvious that our team the last few years consistently ran out of fuel come March. It’s also been a long running joke of the college wrestling world that we cut guys too much. I think it definitely was exaggerated, but not unfounded.

2 Likes