Poll of the Week (12-14-20): Who is the Best RB of the Gundy Era

Hey guys and gals, it’s Poll of the Week time.

We started with a tight one last week. Out of 100 votes, 51% of you said the 2017 season was more disappointing than the 2020 season.

We’ll look more happy this week. With Chuba Hubbard calling it a career, I thought it would be fun to see who you guys think is the best RB Mike Gundy has ever had. I don’t think I’ve omitted an obvious answer, but I’m sure you guys will let me hear about it if I did. I just went year-by-year and took the leading rusher off each Gundy team.

• Chuba Hubbard
  • Justice Hill
  • Chris Carson
  • Desmond Roland
  • Jeremy Smith
  • Joseph Randle
  • Kendall Hunter
  • Keith Toston
  • Dantrell Savage
  • Mike Hamilton

0 voters

Give us some career and season stats and awards/recognition, @marshall!
You going to make us do all of our own work? :wink:

1 Like

Kendall Hunter was a 2-time All-American. So I’ll go with that guy.

5 Likes

Kind of depends on your definition - best at OSU or best career period (NFL included). IMHO, Kendall was best at OSU but Carson better in NFL.

3 Likes

That’s what makes it fun. It’s open to your interpretation.

I’m expecting Mike Hamilton to blow the competition away here.

6 Likes

Yep, I know. Good answer.

1 Like

For me it was between he and Chuba. Plenty of great backs, but Kendall was the only other one I remember being worthy of national awards. I picked Chuba because I felt he was closer to deserving the Heisman over the others listed and that takes the cake for me.

I felt like Hill should have been at that level but just wasn’t (bad OLine?). Randall is in this second teir with Hill, Toston, and Smith.

Third teir for me includes Carson (although best NFL back listed), Roland, and Savage and Hamilton (although I didn’t watch these guys much since I was a freshman in 2009).

1 Like

That just answered a LOT of lingering questions I had.

4 Likes

Woahhhh Savage is for sure second tier. And although I love Jeremy and he did great as RB2…he disappointed his senior season when he was RB1. Think I gotta put him 3rd tier.

Edit: but you’re right…somehow the best NFL back is third tier during his time at OSU lol

Stop being an #old Gary

1 Like

I’m fine with that. I know Savage is highly regarded among older Pokes and I agree that Jeremy was disappointing (similar to Hill).

1 Like

I bet you’re going to say Barry Sanders is the :goat: too. Sheesh, can I not have preferences based on my own experience?

/s

3 Likes

Dominic Richardson would like a word…

4 Likes

Love me some Chuba, but I have to go with Kendal Hunter. I was a kid when he played for us and I still remember how good he was.

1. Hunter
  2. Chuba
  3. Justice
  4. Randle
  5. Savage
  6. Carson
  7. Toston
  8. Roland
  9. Smith
  10. Hamilton
2 Likes

Kendall pulled a Grover Cleveland with 1,500 yard seasons, so he gets my vote

4 Likes

Ummm… Barry is the GOAT. I don’t care how old you are. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

All right folks of all ages - here is the data - you can see the details by OSU career, OSU best season, and NFL career. The table is sorted by OSU career total yards. I’ve added Tyreek to the data set just since he’s such as huge part of the NFL story right now. The “best” in each category is highlighted in bright orange. The runner-up gets the ugly Tennessee orange treatment. Pretty impressive that everyone on the list except for Savage and Hamilton gets first or second in at least one category. And still - both Savage and Hamilton received All Conference recognition.

2 Likes

Recency bias and whatnot, but Chuba should’ve won the Doak Walker. Don’t remember anyone else sniffing it.

2 Likes