Poll of the Week: Which Season is More Disappointing?

Hey guys and gals,

Going to try something a little new, and we’ll see how it goes. Feel free to make your cases in this thread.

Which season is more disappointing? This is probably a little premature given 2020 isn’t over yet, but it should make for an interesting discussion.

0 voters

The expectations were higher for the 2017 team so I’ll pick that one.

2 Likes

2017 you knew OU had a squad.

3 Likes

2020 for sure. In 2017 we were playing from behind from the get go after losing to TCU, and OU was loaded that year.

This year we had a 2 game cushion on OU. Bad losses to Texas and TCU and laid an egg against OU. Just unacceptable.

11 Likes

In terms of preseason expectations it is 2017. In terms of team that should have won the conference it is this year. We got handed OU with 2 quick losses this year which almost never happens and we couldn’t capitalize.

3 Likes

OU whipped us this year and that year. But this year both Texas and TCU were winnable games where we could have gone to Arlington against a team we already beat.

2 Likes

2020-two game cushion on OU thanks to ISU and KSU.

Goons starting a redshirt freshman QB, and a 3rd string RB. They housed us in the first 9 minutes, went cruise control for two quarters, then slammed the nail in the coffin in the 4th.

Unacceptable loss AT HOME to a Texas squad who is counting the minutes until Herman is gone. The turnovers…all the turnovers.

Loss to a 4-4 TCU squad that has struggled mightily this year. Made Duggan look like Lamar Jackson.

16 points at home to Tulsa. Half of our 27 vs. WVU scores on defense.

Speaking of this, 2020 had a senior-laden, fast tough defense that 2017 could only dream of.

2020 is more disappointing. 2017 is going to get votes because we weren’t out of it until final week/Bedlam. Also, the Baker hate is a real factor in 2017. Still is. I sports-hate him.

6 Likes

2009 was pretty disappointing as well.

6 Likes

That is true. 2013 deserves a mention as well.

2 Likes

I think the list of disappointing seasons is probably fairly long. :rofl:

9 Likes

We’ve had legitimate conference championship aspirations in 2009, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, and 2020. We’ve accomplished our mission once. There is only one common denominator.

What season hasn’t been a disappointment?

17 Likes
  1. OU was loaded in 2017 and the loss to KSU was kind of understandable after that and their was no conference championship that year. I feel like if the 2017 team had an opportunity to play OU again in the B12 championship, we wouldn’t have lost that KSU game.

This year OU was about as down as they are going to get, we have a great defense and 2 All Americans at the skill positions offense.

I just want to play in a B12 Championship. Will we ever. I just really thought we would go to Arlington this year.

1 Like

2008 exceeded expectations.

2 Likes

For me 2020 is more disappointing because we almost never have a capable defense. We finally have a defense we could win a championship with and our O-Line (I know injuries, etc.), and QB play is horrendous and inconsistent. Not to mention good skill players on offense.

1 Like

2020 and its not even close. 2017 had no defense, and anyone not wearing orange tinted glasses could see it. 2020 squad has an insane defense and can’t do anything with it.

1 Like

Aaaaand that’s the problem. Acceptance of mediocrity within the program as a whole throughout the history of the university/athletic department. Boone made a commitment to the program through his donations. Unfortunately, the powers-that-be have failed to capitalize on his vision. Holder and the BoR in terms of Gundy’s contract. Donors who haven’t demanded a coaching change going back to 2017. Everybody’s getting a taste of this s—t sandwich right now. This is what happens when you choose not to prioritize football for decades and decades. In the 1940’s, Okla AnM chose to allow OU to become the blue blood in this state through lack of funding/facilities and lack of recruiting. It had a massive butterfly-effect on the history of the two programs. One university has committed to making football matter. One doesn’t. Guess which one is which? I’ll give you about 7 seconds to figure it out. One second per Natty in Norman.

2 Likes

We’ll have a more upbeat poll next week. This one is admittedly quite the downer to start, but good discussions!

6 Likes

I have to go with 2017. I figured we’d be good this year, but with Covid I really had no idea if we would get to play, much less be good enough to win the conference. In 2017 we were coming off two back to back 10 win seasons, Rudolph and Washington were coming back and we were primed to finally beat OU and take the conference. Then we laid and egg against TCU, lost Bedlam in Stillwater, and just came out totally uninspired against K-State to end up in the Camping World Bowl.

4 Likes