Popeyes chicken sandwich review

(I went to Popeyes for my first chicken sandwich experience this evening, and wanted to share my thoughts (and get y’alls opinion here.) I was going to publish this to the site, but A. It’s not remotely related to OSU #content and B. Please refer to point A.)

I’ll admit, I was a skeptic. When I saw lines backed up to Timbuktu for a chicken sandwich that wasn’t from Chick-Fil-A, I had my doubts about Popeyes and its new competing offering. Did it come with a cool toy in the to-go bag that Chick-Fil-A didn’t offer? Were they giving the sandwiches themselves away for free? Why in the world is my beloved Chick-Fil-A getting smashed by Popeyes on social media and, apparently, in real life? This is a place I’ve ate at maybe once in my life, and my only memory was that I don’t remember anything from it.

And forgettable restaurants aren’t places I frequent.

I told myself, ultimately, that I’d wait out the Popeyes hubbub. I resisted the long drive-thru lines in Tulsa, the guerilla marketing campaigns on social media, the urges from my friends that I just had to try it. “Very very good,” said my friend, Alex Elliott, who at this point has Popeyes chicken sandwich as his official blood type. “Different than Chick-Fil-A. Feels more home made.”

OK, I think. I think I’m sold. I wanted to experience this, but on my own time, and the time had to be right.

So Monday as I was dodging through traffic in Tulsa, gearing up for Monday Night Football, I thought, why not? (I’m positive my pregnant wife and mini schnauzer in the passenger seat disagreed, but YOLO.) Chick-Fil-A and Popeyes were both within my sight line, a perk of the area of town I live, so I opted for the latter. I had to see what the hype was all about.

So I rolled up to Popeyes to find that not only was there not an absurd line, there was no one in the drive-thru at all. I pulled right up, ordered one regular chicken sandwich, no drink, no fries, no biscuit. Just the sandwich. Pulled around, gave the cashier my card, and voila, my sandwich – in a tiny bag similar to the one Chick-Fil-A smashes its chicken sandwiches into – arrived. Toasty.

This was a bad sign for me, initially. OK, I think, you copied the chicken sandwich and the bag it comes in directly from CFA. Frauds!

That’s where the similarities ended, however. I opened up my bag to find a steamy chicken sandwich waiting for me, and the appearance was completely different than that of the Chick-Fil-A sandwich. More thick (thicc, as the kids say; by kids, I mean me), and also … more.

I chomped into the sandwich and the differences divulged themselves. A thick, hearty sandwich with a big bun gave way to a crispy chicken, and mayo filled my teeth as I bit down. I do not personally like mayo. I do believe it is disgusting on everything and anything. But the mayo completed this sandwich. It wasn’t intruding, like my mother endlessly trying in high school to find me a girlfriend. It was welcome. It was comforting. It was like how I imagine when Jennifer Aniston gives you a back rub. I felt peaceful.

As I munched further, the mayo and the crispy chicken and the hearty bun gave way to … a pickle. Ah-ha! Another Chick-Fil-A similarity. Only … this pickle was good. It was … long? I didn’t accidentally slurp it all down in one bite, as I do with CFA. It bent out and provided pickle flavor for two, three bites as I finished it off.

Do I have regrets? Absolutely. And my biggest regret? That I didn’t go enjoy this delicacy sooner. The sandwich itself is better than Chick-Fil-A. The chicken wasn’t soggy, like Chick-Fil-A. The overall product … was better.

Maybe Chick-Fil-A has better customer service. They have Chick-Fil-A sauce. They have the aura of being Chick-Fil-Frickin-A. It’s my pleasure to announce I’ve officially identified the premium product.

Popeyes, I’ll see you again real soon.

11 Likes

Add you a side of red beans and rice and there’s not much else you need.

2 Likes

The best thing about the Popeye’s chicken sandwich craze is the videos being posted of white people learning that Popeye’s is nothing like any of their usual fast food restaurants and it doesn’t need to be.

2 Likes

That’s the underrated selling point… you have a choice of sides! Love me some mashed potatoes and gravy to go with the sandwich. Not a huge fan of CFA waffle fries.

Have you ever had Bojangles or Biscuitville? Chicken biscuit guy or only sandwiches?

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll definitely go all out next time. Probably going spicy sandwich with a biscuit and rice. They sold me.

Haven’t had either, but not by choice. Don’t think they have any around here. I like anything with chicken, so naturally I’ve definitely got Bojangles on my list. Do you like them?

I have tried three times to get this sandwich in the Dallas area, and the store has been “out” every single time :frowning:

2 Likes

Bojangles is just…ummm…eh…

Go after lunch rush. Take a late lunch. Here in Memphis I went to the closest Popeyes at 2ish in the afternoon, they were churning them out, didn’t have to wait in line long.

1 Like

Still need to try it myself, but I heard the Spicy one is even that much better than the original.

2 Likes

It is, but keep in mind it’s only the sauce that’s spicy, not the actual batter of the chicken.

What a garbage take. Enjoy the sandwich, but don’t denigrate the best chicken sandwich and restaurant in the world. Popeyes is a joke when held up to Chick Fila. The crazy thing is it’s not even in the same realm. I’m assuming you enjoy starbucks over a nice pourover from a legitimate roastery? Prefer Natty Lite to a nice IPA? Don’t tell me your the guy who prefers Qdoba over Chipotle just for the queso?.. The only time I’ve dropped into a popeyes in the last decade is to take poo in their facilities.

Chick Fil A makes a fine chicken sandwich but best in the world? Let’s tap the brakes.

1 Like

And here I thought the only thing CFA had going for it was being in the student union at OSU. I don’t think I’ve been to CFA a dozen times since it lost that advantage. I drive well out of my way to hit up Popeyes.

seems like you haven’t dipped it in some chick fila sauce and bbq sauce…

If this chicken sandwich is the best in the world, one would think it would not have to be dipped in multiple sauces…

1 Like

Just adds to the perfection!

I mean I’m a Wendy’s spicy chicken man myself… The service at Chick Fil A is top notch and I appreciate that.

The service at Popeye’s is way more likely to flip you off or jump over the counter and fight you… Which I also like.

9 Likes

They are definitely on opposite ends of the customer service spectrum. One excelling every time you go, the other like playing Russian roulette with your order. And I appreciate both.