Porter: A Few Thoughts on This Week

Good work here @kyleporterCBS . I firmly believe that for an organization to be great, it’s leadership must be great. We have all wished we could have done things differently in retrospect, but I believe @kyleboone was doing his job In this regard. It is telling that a portion of the fan base why they see no wrong in a t-shirt of a potentially harmful news outlet. I am an OSU alum, all of my family are OSU alums. As an extended OSU family we must acknowledge the blemishes of our history (Johnny Bright incident, potential use of racial slurs, etc) and strive toward a future to educate and fix a corrupt society. Gundy, PFB, Chuba, etc has a platform to help create that change in a very public light. If they do not then that opportunity is wasted and potentially harmful to a positive change. All this to say thank you PFB for using your platform in a way that brings up topics/issues that need to be discussed (even if it is uncomfortable for others).

1 Like

Hang it up Porter. From what I can see you have no control or accountability over your writers. Boone did something asinine and selfish at the expense of the University and department that allow this site to be pertinent and all you have to say is “that was stupid”. If he wants to write like Thomas Friedman he has to be able to take the criticism. Reporters report the news. They don’t create it.

1 Like

I think it’s very fair to be critical and aware of Mike Gundy’s insensitivity and past behaviors, while also being critical of Kyle Boone and the way this all transpired.

Not trying to say you’re saying it’s not fair. I think people criticizing Kyle Boone while not criticizing Mike Gundy’s part in this as well are being hypocritical.

I agree with you. When I work with students (I work in Higher Education) I always frame it as this, “Life is all about learning opportunities. A mistake is when you do not use that opportunity to learn.”

So all I’m saying is let’s sit back and see if Gundy, Kyle, etc. let this sit as a mistake or Chalk this up as an opportunity to learn.

1 Like

Good on you for not letting your emotions cloud your judgement. I‘ve definitely let mine do that in my criticism of Kyle a bit (and i need to be held accountable if so) but I stand by my posts. But i do wanna hear opposing perspectives so I don’t become blinded by my own biases.

I added a little more to my post above.

That’s good that you are open to debate and possible positive criticism. Sometimes it gets super heated and nasty on these forums since people believe they are anonymous.

I do love what Gundy has done for this program and for OSU in general. It is concerning though that repeat behavior has happened that has gone unchecked. Let’s see if this most recent occurrence allows him to learn and use his platform for something that is bigger than his flowing locks.

I really really hope so. What I really want to see out of this is for Chuba to help Gundy to become a better man and for them to repair their relationship. I don’t understand why anyone would want any other result than that.

2 Likes

I think everyone needs some grace and empathy right now. It’s been a crazy and emotional year. People are getting sick, people are losing their jobs, people are being hurt. We have less outlets. Emotions are high and everyone is hurt in some way or another. Basically everything kinda sucks right now. Honestly, if people would just start being nice things could improve.

We all need to realize these are young men, and we need to bring unity and not division, everyone needs to ask themselves; is the Cowboys best interest our motives!!!

I am certainly a Mike fan. My thought is that the posting of the pic was probably a good thing. Yep, I am an optimist. I think Mike has gotten a little too big for his britches. Celebrity does that to people. I would like to believe that he was going fishing and he didn’t want to get blood and fish guts on a fresh OSU tee shirt and he chose to wear a gimme, throw away shirt, he received in the mail. He said he was a dumbass and certainly he was and is, but I hope we don’t fire him like he fired the dumbass who came to his home for a job in a Boomer Sooner tee shirt. Mike, you have a lot of work to do. You need to heal things at home and you need to be more humble.

As some have already said in previous posts thank you for the video I am sure that there are a lot of folks, including me, who appreciate the effort. However I’d like to be clear on a couple of things just in case you missed them. I don’t know anything about Mike Gundy’s “unchecked power” but I hope you understand what transpired over the last few days is not the way to address the MG “issue” assuming you didn’t want him removed as the head coach. The actions that took place, first KB lighting the match by posting and commenting on the picture followed by the statement from CH plus comments from other members of the football team was a very good strategy toward getting Mike Gundy fired. I have a hard time believing KB who is a grown man didn’t know that could be the possible outcome. Now I would give CH a pass as I doubt he knows better but I think that KB owes MG a big apology for what he did. Please don’t get me wrong here I am not trying to defend MG. As with all people everyone has room for improvement and I hope that everyone involved in this situation has learned that there are better ways to effect change in a person. If you want to get someone to change then go talk to them privately. If you don’t care if they change but instead just want them out of the picture then post crap on twitter. And finally please excuse my rambling, I am a terrible writer and have a hard time forming a coherent thought but in any case I hope you can get the gist of the message. Thanks!

1 Like

Kyle Boone clearly had an agenda. He took offense at Mike Gundy’s attitudes, demeanor, and lack of sensitivity to the young men he has promised to lead. Fair enough. However, Kyle B chose to express his concerns over these issues by sharing them with the world via CBS sports social media. He did not choose to call attention to his concerns with a thoughtfully constructed post questioning Gundy’s shirt and awareness on CBS Sports or, even more directly, with a post on Pistols Firing. Instead he posted a disdainful picture and chose to goad a young man with much to lose into taking the issue to his coach, the man who has power over his future. Kyle Boone tried to further goad Chuba Hubbard by questioning him after the first video until Chuba and Amen shut him down. Kyle B has subjected the young man to the spite and ridicule of people who do not know him or his motives. Mike Gundy has been the subject of public humiliation, ridicule, and will forever be labeled a racist, again by people who don’t know if he has evolved since 1989 or in the last week of turmoil. There is no going back for either of these individuals or for our university, home to rednecks and bigots if one goes by comments from others like Kyle Boone who post without remembering words do have power. How can someone who fancies himself a journalist not know that?
Kyle Porter, you ask us to remember that we all have words we wish we could un-say and actions we wish we could undo. That is true, but unfortunately all we can do is apologize. When will Kyle Boone publicly apologize to Mr Hubbard and Coach Gundy for his immature, let’s-toss-out-a-hand-grenade-to-get-clicks method of determining if his thoughts and feelings about the status of OSU’s football program were accurate?

2 Likes

Lot going on here, but this made me chuckle. Mike Gundy has no power over Chuba Hubbard’s future.

1 Like

Kyle, thank you for sharing. Ever since college I have consistently thought of you as a good man and appreciate your coverage of Oklahoma State. It’s been really hard for us out of state cowboy fans to get any news.

To the people criticizing Kyle, this was a blog that has become a media organization. That is a tough transition. It is fair to criticize and expect him to work to be better. But it is BS to come after him as a man.

Kyle Boone on non recruiting matters has annoyed me of late. I feel he has jumped to conclusions and let his passion take over. All of that being said I do not think he is a bad person or horrible for OSU. Personal preference and opinions should not lead to hate. Kyle Boone I do not know you, but thank you for covering OSU and caring enough to write about it.

Here’s to hoping we all improve in the future. Myself, OSU, and PFB!

You are correct Kyle. We each control our own future, Chuba Hubbard more so than most at this point with his tremendous football talent and desire to do good. And I truly believe that about him. I
am old and my heroes are always young people with optimism.
In a perfect world, I am sure all NFL owners will look at this past week activities and view his interaction with his current head coach and not a one of them will think anything other than what a great young man he is, because Coach Gundy does keep saying that. They will not silently label him a potential boat-rocker at all.
Kyle B should have asked his own questions and given the players and coach a chance to answer them consciously and not emotionally while under fire.
I thank you for the video today, but Kyle B should thank you more.

Keep fighting the good fight Kyle and PFB…shedding alight, addressing issues is why we have the press…you guys have provided a great service and I’m glad to see you’ll continue to do so. As you said you have no incentive to “burn” the place down…it’s amazing how many people are college educated but don’t understand logic…you want the best for OSU…but the best is not for a coach to be out of touch, ego driven and potentially divisive. Bravo, Kyle!

2 Likes

Ok man calm down. We know you are just trying to get a job being Sports journalist but you got to stop the white shaming brother. Don’t use WE when you talk about whites because believe it or not people “WE” are not all racist and if you referring to generations ago then it’s still not we. You have to stop putting all white people in one boat buddy. Before you send your next comment you need to think it out alittle more. It’s insensitive to others that are not and have not been apart of ugly acts. Thank you maple syrup! I do like maple syrup tho.

Have you seen the article today where the co-founder of BLM said they are Marxists!! They ARE behind the violence! Do you know 800 police officers have been injured and 8 killed ?! And we are worried about offending BLM supporters!! Against a conservative news outlet like OAN. And make no mistake it will be proven very soon that China was behind the virus. You may scoff now but new evidence about what is behind all this violence perpetrated against our country is coming to light soon. These players have been deceived. Mike is NOT the problem. PFB should NOT be judging his character. If Mike had been wearing a Trump shirt on his vacation Chuba would have said the same thing indicating all Trump supporters are racist. What about freedom of speech? What if a black athlete wears a gangster rap t-shirt - am I to demand he be kicked off the team? You sit there on your journalistic throne, like most journalists, and pick and dissect and determine if a man is worthy of your approval. Get off your high horse. You have no business looking down your nose at ANYONE. Pride goes before a fall. How about LOYAL AND TRUE to our own head coach, former player and alum!!! Or are those just empty words we sing. YOU should examine who you are and not be judging Mike. The left ALWAYS demands you lay down your rights for theirs. There is NEVER any compromise. Wait until you see what BLM is planning to do to stop the Trump rally in Tulsa then explain why you support them. It’s obvious you are going to milk this as much as you can for your 15 minutes of fame.

2 Likes

This forum (mainly Boone) has been lured into the cancel culture that envelopes the entire country…Sad.

I truly doubt there are many folks in this state that have done more to better young black men’s lives than Mike Gundy…haven’t read that once on this forum from a single writer, although it should be quite obvious and represented in the articles…There is plenty of verbiage tearing him down, though…Cancel culture full steam ahead.

1 Like

Wish I had a crystal ball and could see Kyles motives ?