Post-Bedlam Q&A

As I was thinking about what to write today or this week, I wanted to toss it out for a Q&A from you guys. What questions do you have about Gundy, Bedlam, 8-4, any of it? What do you want to read about? What are you thinking about in the wake of No. 13? I’ll pull some of them and answer them on the site.

I have deep and growing sense of apathy towards football. The only thing that truly surprised me this year was losing to Texas tech. How do I fight it off? Why should I buy tickets next year? (Beyond support your school, bad fan)

1 Like

Will this year be known as the mismanaged personnel year?

How much different does this year look if spencer has 12 games under his belt September 1st and chuba is a Jr not RS So. I get you can’t predict everything, but when you make $5.1 million you should be able to predict SOME things. We basically mis managed our players out of a true big 12 title shot.

1 Like

Getting away from the specifics about how to solve the OU problem or the recruiting problem, etc. - I’m more interested in what we as fans are supposed to do with this. We all invest a lot of thought and love and emotion into OSU football, and we almost never beat our rival. Do we disengage? Do we buy in every year and open ourselves up to the stomach punch that is sure to come? I would hate it if the players and coaches adopted my personal philosophy on bedlam, but it’s just easier if I assume we are going to lose every time. That’s not saying I don’t walk into that stadium with a little ray of hope - I do - but I know deep down what is about to happen.

Crying about Gundy is futile because he’s not going anywhere and I don’t really want him to go anyways. So how are OSU fans supposed to deal with the bedlam problem?

6 Likes

What a laughable take. How can anyone who has actually watched games the last two years come away thinking this?

What would you say are some REALISTIC changes that could be implemented (either by Gundy or by Holder) to ensure that this downward slide we’re seeing does not continue next year? I say ‘realistic’ because ‘fire Gundy and hire Urban Meyer’ is downright ridiculous. However, ‘do nothing and accept the reality we have’ is equally ridiculous in its nature. We can do better and deserve better as a fanbase. So, what could be done by either the head coach or AD to improve the state of things on a reasonable or realistic level?

1 Like

This isn’t q&a, but I trust that Kyke can filter it out, since the 7th commandment is thou shalt not start new threads :slight_smile:

Honestly? Buy basketball tickets instead. There is a fine line between “Loyal & True” and masochism. I was. Cincinnati Bengals season ticket holder from 2005-2010 and there were folks around me who had tickets since the 70s. They were miserable! They never enjoyed the games (even when the Bengals were good) always complained. Always waited for the other shoe to drop. But they kept going because they had ‘always’ had tickets.

We know what OSU is and will, likely, always be. Upper part of the conference, lose to OU, decent bowl. There is nothing wrong with enjoying that. Tailgating, the game day experience, good food and friends- that can exist even with us getting our brains beat in by OU. But if you don’t enjoy it, stop going and don’t look back. Life is too short to be a hate-watching 60 year old Bengals fan.

4 Likes

I know it’s HIGHLY unlikely; but is the only way OSU fixes their “ou problem” by separating from them in a conference realignment? Texas A&M has stunk in the SEC but still get the benefit of the doubt most of the time… We would catch major flak obviously, and we would lose our biggest revenue generating game of the year. I don’t see anything changing in the next decade that we all of a sudden start consistently winning Bedlam. It really feels like we are shooting ourselves in the foot continuing this rivalry. How many times has this game stopped us from winning conference championships? Like was said above in a different context, but it feels like we just play this game “because we always have.” I’d be all for super conferences and moving to the PAC 16 by ourselves at this point, if they’d take us by ourselves. Hopefully ou would go to the SEC. It’s taking a step back to move forward if you will, but not having that game on our schedule every year would make our lives so much easier.

1 Like

This revisionist stuff just will not go away. I guess the “Spencer should’ve played as a true FR” debate will live in infamy. As badly as he played early on as a RS FR, I can’t imagine what you think he would’ve looked like as a true FR. I bet you would’ve been one of the first ones to complain when we didn’t even make a bowl last year because of it.

This is the first time I’ve actually seen someone suggest that Chuba should’ve played as a true FR and it’s a terrible take. His true FR year, Chuba was transitioning his body from a track athlete that played football in Canada to a football player that played football in the US. BIG transition as an 18-year old. He would’ve gotten minimal carries behind Hill and it would’ve been a total waste of a year of eligibility. Who knows, might’ve even gotten injured because of playing too early.

I’m going to make the assumption that you don’t make $5.1 million, but you seem to think you CAN predict what could’ve/should’ve/would’ve happened better than someone that DOES make $5.1 million and is actually, you know, a football coach.

4 Likes

Shouldn’t we be more pissed about the Baylor program surpassing us 2 years removed from the dead and losing to Tech than about a Bedlam loss with a backup QB and our star WR out.

9 Likes

How do you think we would have fared if Spencer and Tylan were healthy and available to play?

People who make $5.1 million can hit targets no one else can even see. That’s the point.

1 Like

I’d like to know your thoughts on next season. Ceiling- If all eligible players return and SS improves as most QBs do after a year under their belt, how good can that team be?
Floor- SS plays at the same level he ended the season on, and we loose our stars to the draft… where does that put us.

Wouldn’t mind hearing the same scenarios around basketball as well.

Have the potential to start both seasons with good rankings.

Realize some of this is probably discussed in the recent article posted. I guess I check the forum before the site now lol

1 Like

Ceiling: 10 wins, with a loss in Bedlam and one other game we shouldn’t.
Floor: 7 wins, due to the amount of talent we lose and the lack of proven stars to replace them.

Basketball:
Ceiling: We pull in JT Thor and/or Greg Brown and we go at least Sweet Sixteen.
Floor: Cade shows up but others regress, we finish top seed in the NIT.

JT and Thor, anything less than Elite 8 would be disappointment. As far as the floor, we’ll be a NCAA tourney team from now on (starting this year and as long as Boynton is our coach).

1 Like

KP, I just want basketball this week. Let the frustrations and emotions of the past weekend fade and pick it up when the bowl selection is made and we begin bowl prep. Last thing I want to read is Gundy bashing. If we have to talk football, then use DrCCowboy’s request for practical “what can be done” changes. For example - the football staff is out recruiting. Do we have to have pics of Gundy’s mullet at each recruiting stop to build fan enthusiasm (since the shoe pics are already claimed)?

3 Likes

Would you take this decade of OSU football every decade for the rest of your life? Or would you roll the dice on the program reverting back to the 1990s Era in an effort to have a better decade?

1 Like

While I don’t think he should’ve played the entire season, they definitely should’ve used the RS four-game limit.

We get Thor and Greg Brown, we’re winning it all. :shushing_face: