Pro Wrestling

Might as well keep expanding our threads. Is anyone else a pro wrestling fan? Who do you love or hate? Are you WWE all the way? Have you shifted focus to AEW or others? Is Brock Lesnar the worst thing to happen to wrestling recently (answer is yes)?

1 Like

I was in the 90’s, lol.

Goldberg, Diamond Dallas Page, NWO, Lex Luger, etc.

1 Like

NWO…4 LIFE. Too sweeeeeet!!

1 Like

Sting, Ray Mysterio Jr., and Kane were my favorites. :rofl:

The Goldberg spear was too funny. Outside of a Pachycephalosaurus I don’t know of anything that leads with the crown of their head that doesn’t have horns.

Edit: OU DBs. They do it too.

2 Likes

Sting with the bleached blond flat top, though. Not that “The Crow” nonsense.

Agreed

1 Like

I go further back. I loved the Von Erich’s and their claw

1 Like

At the risk of really aging myself, the AWA had the Polish hammer - Ivan Putzky - no idea what his real name was, anyway as a kid I was the proud owner of 4 autographs Allie Reynolds Johnny Bench Steve Davis and Ivan Putzky he signed my program with a large X - evidently that’ was to prove he was either a stereotypical polish guy or to show he was illiterate. But I stood in line for 20 minutes to get that X and I was damned proud of it.

4 Likes

Haven’t watched much lately, but am definitely a lifelong fan.

90’s were the hey-day and I was lucky enough to be in my adolescence at that time.

Some OSU/Von Erich synergy going on in Pro Wrestling right now.

Former Cowboy Muhammed Lawal is now a pro wrestler for Major League Wrestling. A few months ago he retired from MMA and started doing professional wrestling.

One of the Von Erich’s kids is in the league as well. Their events are on YouTube. They have one tonight at 7:00

2 Likes

Doing the Lord’s work on Saturday! Probably easier when OSU basketball is stinking it up.

I’m actually writing a bit on the history of OSU wrestlers in professional wrestling. I’ll probably wait to close it out until after the season is over, leaning toward maybe around Wrestlemania, but Gerald Brisco is a pretty interesting former Cowboy in Pro Wrestling.

Him and his brother were kind of a thing in the 70’s. Won a bunch of tag titles and stuff in the NWA. I think most people my age remember him as Vince McMahon’s “Stooge” in the 1990’s.

Anyway, he scouts amateur wrestlers and tries to get them into the WWE. He’s semi-retired now, but still is pretty much at every big college or senior level wrestling tournament trying to convince guys to try it.

He discovered Hulk Hogan, Brock Lesnar, Kurt Angle, Shelton Benjamin, and a bunch other guys.

He talks here about how him, J Robinson, and Bobby Douglas (all three wrestled at OSU) came together to get some of those guys into pro wrestling.

2 Likes

The movie Wrestling with my Family is good if you haven’t seen it. Brisco reminds me of Vince Vaughn in the movie.

1 Like

WWE just finished its blood money, I mean, Super Showdown PPV in Saudi Arabia with Goldberg, a part-timer, beating the biggest act (Bray Wyatt) in about five minutes for the title. Apparently, it’s setting up a Goldberg vs. Roman Reigns Wrestlemania title match because…:man_shrugging:.

It’s tacky to say, but I don’t know that WWE will be worth watching again until Vince McMahon dies. I mean, that’s also been the case for a while now.

1 Like

Goooooldberg!

Fear the spear…?

Here’s what I think is a pretty cool OSU/Pro wrestling story…

This past week I was in Wichita for work and I randomly noticed a bunch of college wrestlers staying in my hotel. So I tweeted out something asking if there was a wrestling tournament going on? Turns out it was the NAIA National Championships.

Through my writing and covering OSU wrestling, I’ve gotten to know Gerald Brisco a bit. He saw my Tweet and texted me and told me he was in town to watch the NAIA’s and asked if I wanted to meet up?

I said yes and after I got out of work on Friday, I went and watched the semifinals with him. If you’re not aware, he’s semi-retired from WWE, but still scouts for them, predominately with amateur wrestlers.

Anyway, we just sat and chatted and watched wrestling. If you’re even remotely a WWE fan, he’s a guy that you could listen to all day. Tons of stories about the business, Vince McMahon, who’s still one of his best friends, and all kinds of stuff.

Turns out the main reason he’s there is to scout this kid.

He played football at Nebraska then went to grad school here and decided to wrestle. Brisco tries not to interrupt them while they’re still competing, but he sat and watched where he went to find out who his parents are then went over with a business card and made his pitch.

I don’t know that this kid will be the next Kurt Angle, but he said he’d at least try out. It was kinda cool to see how that process works.

4 Likes
1 Like

:skull:

2 Likes

Here’s a bit of a breakdown of former OSU guys that had pro wrestling careers.