Professional meat smokers

Folks,

I’d like to get into smoking. I’m a sucker for pulled pork or barbecue or really any meats, but I’ve got no idea how to make it myself. (I have a grill at home but just to make easy meats.)

So … how does one go about becoming a smoker? I’m so confused about 1. What equipment to purchase 2. What meats to buy and smoke 3. How to smoke said meats 4. Any flavoring etc.

SOS

2 Likes

Get an electric one for starters, maintaining temp is easy and will get you deeper into the smoke lifestyle. There are millions of great recipes via google. Haven’t found a bad one yet. Follow the recipe and you can’t make a bad piece of meat 1) academy’s electric, cheap and easy to use 2) do a bologna log first, can’t mess that up 3)google 4) 3 little pigs on amazon

1 Like

Don’t over complicate it!

What kind of grill do you have? Because some wood chips in a regular old charcoal grill will turn it into a smoker.

Also, don’t get wrapped up in “how much time should I leave it on.”

Leave it on until it’s done. Always cook to internal temperature. You can also usually eyeball it.

But just keep it simple. Tons of sauces and mopping and spritzing will just make it worse. Salt and pepper, maybe a little granulated garlic and some paprika is all you need for beef.

6 Likes

Get a meat probe thermometer. The temperature will tell you when it’s done. I will link the one I use later. Patience and research are the biggest keys to success.

2 Likes

Just do it like Zuckerberg does it.

3 Likes

Big Green Egg?
Treger?
HastyBake?

Smoking is done by indirect heat so like @leecothran said you can do it On a charcoal grill If you have one . I’d totally start there or even on a gas grill depending how your burners are set you could just add some woodchips next to the farthest burner and put the meat on the other side .
Start out with the cheapest meats- chicken would be your best bet, whole or leg quarters In a simple brine overnight . That way if you mess up you’re only out a few bucks versus an 80$ Brisket And a However many hundred dollar new smoker .

1 Like

Also Costco and Sams have the best bang for your buck on cuts of meat.

1 Like
  • Make sure the grill/smoker can hold consistent temperature.
  • I-Grill thermometer. Thermo will let you know when it’s close to being done. Feel for tenderness to confirm it’s done.
    -With the longer cooking time for smoking meat, I don’t like rubs with a low amount of sugar
  • Cook fat side down
  • If you choose to wrap with foil, never seal the foil. Let it breathe, you’ll lose some of the smoky goodness
  • There is no substitute for time. Contact time with the smoke is key.

Keep us in formed on your progress.

1 Like

Restaurant depot is open to
The public right now too . They’re worth a look .

I’ve had a few kamado style cookers over the years. Started with a Char-griller Akorn, then went to a Louisiana Grill from Costco. I had problems with the Louisiana grill hinges and returned to Costco. Picked up a Large BGE and I love it. I cheat and use a Smobot for temperature control when I am smoking, it’s a game changer.

Like others have said, cook to temperature not time. Start with an easy cut of meat like a pork butt.

1 Like

Fat side down??

3 Likes

Pellet Smoker, can’t beat it.

The smobot works well? It looks like a game changer. Do you probe your meat too?

Yeah I’ve never heard of anybody doing that… you want the fat to melt into the meat…

3 Likes

Yeah. That’s what I’ve always done and always heard.

2 Likes

I love it. Probe anything of substance. Ribs I cook to feel but brisket and shoulder/butts I use the probe. I had a temp controller with a fan on the bottom but I always thought it went through fuel too quickly and didn’t do a great job of keeping a steady temp. It’s also nice being able to pull up cooks on my phone to see how things are going.

2 Likes

I think guys using higher temps and less actual smoke do it so they don’t burn it

1 Like

Wondering if it would work on something else. Even an offset.

Do you have to manage your fuel differently using it?

I believe this has been proven incorrect. Fat/oil and water don’t mix, so basically the fat will either maintain it’s existing structure on the meat, or render down and roll off.

Best approach is contingent on your smoker. Wherever your heat source is coming from, point the fat that direction. Fat is supposed to serve as somewhat of a blanket for the meat so it doesn’t get overcooked/dry. So if you have a vertical smoker point it down, if you have some type of smoker that has a fire chamber that comes in from the side, put the fat up.

4 Likes