Q&A: New OSU Commit Aden Kelley Talks Decision, Small-Town Life, OSU over TCU

Photo via @KelleyAden on Twitter

The Cowboys strengthened their 2021 recruiting class Sunday with the addition of four-star defensive tackle Aden Kelley.

Out of the tiny town of Thomas, Kelley is the No. 183 player in the 2021 class, according to 247Sports. I had the chance to chat with Kelley about his commitment, getting noticed and if the Dominic Richardson situation with TCU at all swayed his decision.

Here is that conversation.

Marshall Scott: “We’ll start simple, why Oklahoma State?”

Aden Kelley: “Man, I really enjoy the staff. I enjoy the place. It’s a comfortable environment for me. At the end of the day it was the place I fit in. I just went with it like that, and that’s where I’m at.”

MS: “What were the reactions like from the coaches when you told them you were committing today?”

AK: “Oh man, they were all so excited in different ways. There was hooping and hollering, some screaming, a little bit of everything.”

MS: “A lot of people call Stillwater a small town, being from an actual small town, did you like the vibe of the place when you were able to visit?”

AK: “Yeah, I like Stillwater. I’ve been up there several times. When I was a little kid, going to games things like that. My mom actually graduated from Stillwater. It’s a special environment.”

MS: “Being a small-town kid, I imagine recruiting can be a little off and on. When did your recruitment kind of start in general? When did you start getting noticed?”

AK: “So, I went to an OU camp last year. I performed there, and I got some good film out. It really kind of started then, but I got my first offer [Arkansas State] on my birthday, January 17. Really it just took off with offers from then, starting with my birthday until when I got another one two weeks ago.”

MS: “Going into that OU camp, did you know that it was going to be such a monumental shift for you?”

AK: “No idea. I had zero idea, and that’s what was so cool about it. I was there, you have a little bit of confidence, but you weren’t quite sure on things like that. It was great to be able to come out of there.”

MS: One of your other final schools was TCU. They obviously had an interesting ordeal, I guess, with an Oklahoman in Dominic Richardson. Did that situation at all effect your decision?"

AK: “No, not at all. I just felt like, during these times, closer to home is better. I absolutely love TCU’s staff. I wouldn’t say one bad word about them. It was a tough decision. They’re a great program, a great program with great people. It was great, just like OSU. Those are two great staffs, and I just had to go with my gut and stay close to home.”

MS: “Are you back to workouts with Thomas? How’s that going?”

AK: “Yeah, the gym’s open, and I still go to my trainer’s during the week. We’re back in the weight room and everything’s open.”

MS: “Is there a fear at all that your senior season won’t happen?”

AK: “Yeah, it’s something I think about, but I just stopped worrying about it. There’s nothing I can control, you can’t control it, nobody can control it. I’m not really worried about it. I just hope and pray we get to play. Just gotta play the cards you’re dealt.”

11 Likes

Gundy cracked the code.
Must be a hell of a cheat code to ‘create a player’ in real life.

3 Likes