Question of the Day

I’m off today, but a QOD for you guys to discuss.

What’s your favorite “what if” in OSU history? Could be good (what if OSU had gotten Ryan Broyles?) or bad (what if Boone had stayed at Texas A&M?). Please discuss.

1 Like

The obvious one for me is “What if” the refs call the Sharp field goal good? Does the 2011 team still win Bedlam or does OU pull the upset and ruin a chance at a BCS championship?

17 Likes

What if the officials had not called the personal foul penalty on Garrett Limbrick at the end of the 1988 Bedlam game? It would have been 4th and less than a yard inside the sooners twenty yard line and not 4th and 15 from their 30. Gundy could have given the ball to Barry Sanders on 4th and less that 1 instead of a desperation pass to Brent Parker.

It was a silly and stupid and phantom call on Limbrick. It still haunts me more than 30 years later.

10 Likes

What if Will Bynum missed the layup with 1.5 to go in 2004. We had all the momentum and might have won in OT.

9 Likes

Good ones already taken so I will throw another one. What if the NCAA does not give OSU football the second worst penalty ever for football after the Dykes stuff. What if they just gave us a slap in the wrist or nothing at all. Where is OSU football at now.

But as I sit here and think… I thought of a much bigger one. What if OSU had not turned down the money from the OKC car dealers back in the forties and we got all of that instead of it going to OU. We could have had a Bud Wilkinson type dynasty and would be considered a blue blood with multiple titles.

4 Likes

What if Justin Gilbert catches the ball?

10 Likes

What if Hank Iba takes the donation from the Gaylord family that would have funded athletics in perpetuity in 1950?

9 Likes

Some of my biggest questions are on here already, but my top one not listed is what if we had gone back to Thomas Hatch in Omaha after winning the first 2 games instead of trotting out Jensen Elliott. Especially with what happened on the other side of the bracket with TCU and Coastal, wondering about giving both Hatch and Buffet another shot to win a game to get to the final series will always stick in my mind.

3 Likes

What if Gundy hired Reilly in 2013. Probably would’ve won bedlam 2013 with Reilly and he’s a better recruiter than MY. No telling if OSU would’ve gotten another 1-2 Big 12 titles between 15-17. No telling where ou would be right now without Reilly. Gundy hires the wrong oc and promoted the wrong dc that year.

4 Likes

2004 Bedlam- that last pass to Prentiss Elliot with less than 2 minutes to go. Just a touch long…

2 Likes

I vented about it in your mailbag post, but I’ll post a shorter version here:

We had 6 seasons this decade where we could have won a conference title (2010, 2017 if we had beaten OU, we would have needed to do more, but both seasons we controlled our own destiny. 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2016, beat OU, win the conference title) and only came away with one conference title. I wonder what our programs trajectory would have looked like if we could have won 2 or more during that time period.

3 Likes

What if Gundy challenged the call on the (Non)interception in Bedlam 2013? We win our second big 12 title and…

2 Likes

What if they had actually landed Bill Self.

Now, knowing what we know about the Kansas program and possible upcoming sanctions that may not have worked out in our favor, but at the time, that would have been huge for the program.

What if F’n Adam Morrison didn’t hit that turnaround fade away bank shot 3 (that he claims he practices all the time). My list of permanent hatred would’ve be reduced by one

2 Likes

What if the Stanford kicker hadn’t missed three field goals?

3 Likes

What if the SI articles weren’t published and used to negatively recruit against us following 2011 momentum? (My favorites were already mentioned by @PatrickV and @david7 at the top of this thread).

2 Likes

What if Tim Lashar’s on-side kick had sailed just past Chris Rockins’ helmet?

More like “What if John Lucas stood in front of Bynum, instead of to the side a little and let him drive it?”.

1 Like

What if my dad decided to go to OU like the rest of his family… God that is one depressing thought.

7 Likes

My favorite what if is:

What is the discussion around Gundy if everything stays the same, except Texas has had OU’s last decade (including wins against OSU) and OU has had Texas’ last decade (including losses to OSU)?

4 Likes