Random OSU Thoughts

Their normal irreverent schtick? Not my thing, and I think it is tacky, but not that big a deal. But obnoxiously playing through the Fiesta Bowl award ceremony when Gundy was acknowledging Coach Budke’s wife… not acceptable. Ignoring Fiesta Bowl officials telling them to stop. THAT will stick with me.

1 Like

Larry Edward Coker (born June 23, 1948) is an American football coach and former player. From 2001 to 2006, he served as the head coach at the University of Miami. His 2001 Miami teamwas named the consensus national champion after an undefeated season that culminated with a victory in the Rose Bowl over Nebraska. In the process of winning the championship, Coker became the second head coach since 1948 to win the national championship in his first season.

While he didn’t sustain success hard to say a guy who won a natty is a terrible coach.

The filter that @kyleporterCBS has on this site has really cleaned up my vocabulary.

3 Likes

Why not just have potential players sign over marketing rights to the school of their choice when signing their NLI or admission, and paying every player a larger stipend (salary) as compensation? They still get scholarship for college, chalk that up as $30K per year, and make the stipend $3K-$4K per month. The student athletes then do not have to pay for housing or weekly meals, so their gross income before taxes is around $66K- $78K plus whatever the aggregate living expenses are. The only taxable income then is the stipend amount. That seems pretty reasonable to me, its more than what many students make coming out of college.

This raises an issue I hadn’t thought of. If this is all just advertising for car lots and what not, won’t they just be paid as contractors with no tax withholding? Seems like we’d be setting a lot of people up for tax problems.

2 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking. One great thing about college is it shields students in some regards from dealing with taxes as much, due to little to no taxable income.

It would be much easier if the students signed over their marketing rights in exchange for a flat payment per month for personal use rather than dealing with the licensing and marketing themselves. That also makes the situation more of a collective bargaining agreement with the university athletic department acting as the agent for all of their players.

I’ve been deep in this over the last hour or so, and I don’t think this is correct. I think it actually states the opposite – that schools can’t pay students, but rather that students can go to Car Dealer X and get $1K for saying that Subarus are cool.

2 Likes

Here’s more on that – https://www.bannersociety.com/2019/10/1/20891260/california-ncaa-bill

1 Like

So basically it is going to be something that the NCAA just has a problem with. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought California actually put a time table on this that it does not start for a couple of years as they were hoping other states would join in so they would not have to battle the NCAA by themselves?

Didn’t uo lose a qb for this, really what this does is make boosters (ahem), people who donate philanthropically, to a school have even more power. It’s one thing if Chuba Hubbard the Soph/Jr Doak Walker candidate is selling old mother Hubbard cookies, but what’s to stop Jerry the used car guy from signing a recruit to a deal for his norman based dealership if he agrees to go to ou.
That’s the slope that could cause everyone to slide down and ultimately end college athletics as we know it.
Out of the box: college can pay a kid to come to school but they have a salary cap

DE #1 gets a 700k contract from which he pays for school and everything else. DE # 7 gets $90k because he’s not worth as much do away with scholarships and end the charade of amateurism.
Now you have a, mostly, free market and by instituting a cap you level the playing field.

We are a better fit for recruits from Tulsa in any sport. We need to make it out bread and butter which we are in hoops.

Yeah I misinterpreted on first read. Thanks for that banner society piece. If I ever need one, I’m hiring Nanni to be my attorney.

I’m listening to some old Flowrestling Radio podcasts and the one about Nick Suriano’s transfer from Penn State to Rutgers came on. Suriano wasn’t penalized for the very wheels off transfer process and this past season should’ve been his last… But instead he’s taking an Olympic redshirt, which his eligibility for is questionable at best, and will get another shot in 2021.

It reminded me a lot of the Baker Mayfield situation… Baker’s Heisman season should’ve never happened. It’s amazing to me how some programs will just whine and complain to get the rules broken in their favor.

3 Likes

Suriano is taking a regular redshirt, but calling it an Olympic one because it sounds cooler.

Genuinely cannot stand that guy… and not just because of what happened at NCAAs.

How good would this be?!

How fast would Texas A&M, Auburn, Michigan, and Nebraska leave their respective conferences and go independent in search of a national title?

I choose these programs because they are consistently the most desperate for relevance… who else fits that mold? Missouri? Baylor?

My guess is that a lot teams would seek to redefine conference membership as closer to what Notre Dame has with the ACC. Michigan is more valuable as part of the Big 10 for media rights, but no doubt would like a somewhat different schedule.

It would be a race to shatter conferences and schedule the weakest teams possible.

I think the Aggies and Mizzou are absolutely willing to burn everything else to the ground to sniff a football title.

I mean… Mizzou thought that they could stay in the Big 12 for wrestling… And they’re still butthurt that they weren’t able to.