Random OSU Thoughts

Go ahead and make some t-shirts. Then you will find out how many are OK with it. :slight_smile: I am not a fan of it, and really think professional broadcasters and commentators should not use it. It has a dismissive tinge to it for me.

I personally think Okie State is great. Historically, Okies were hardworking, agriculture-oriented people of Oklahoma who had to endure some of the most trying times in the USA and, in my opinion (Gundyism), embraced the label of underdog. I like how that description relates to how OSU operates now, athletically and academically.

3 Likes

I believe it is the use of the term in relation to the dust bowl migration and use of the word by non Oklahomans that has caused the majority of the issues.

I was watching a documentary and learned the slang/slur for dust bowl migrants from Texas. They were called Texicans which IMO is more offensive than Okie or Arkie. What I found most interesting is how that name has mostly been forgotten, unlike Arky and Okie.

1 Like

When I feel like OSU isn’t getting a fair shake in academic rankings, I go read what OSU fans think about OSU football and remember that our beloved University does not produce the best, or the brightest.

3 Likes

What’s the best job of those 3? Florida state has the recruiting. Michigan has the money and fanbase. USC has LA and tradition.

I don’t think gundy is going anywhere but I also wouldn’t be surprised if we’re in for another round of flirting

Ehh I don’t think he’ll flirt… Unless they’re throwing $8m a year and $50m guaranteed at him or something wild like that.

USC is hands down the best job of that bunch. The right guy could get them turned around immediately. Conference is weak. You’re the premier program in the region, so you get whoever you want in Cal, Arizona, Nevada… Then fill in the rest nationally. Tons of resources to get whatever you want.

Michigan has the resources… But they’re never going to surpass Ohio State or Penn State.

Florida State is a dumpster fire. No resources. No future. They caught lightning in a bottle with Jameis and I think they’re going to be like Georgia Tech for the foreseeable future unless they commit to modernizing their facilities. They are by far the worst in that category in that region. Why go to FSU when you can go a couple of hours in any direction and go to UF, Auburn, Georgia, Alabama… Hell, Mississippi State… Gundy isn’t good enough at recruiting with top notch facilities… With bad facilities… Woof.

FSU could be back in the mix relatively quickly, but they need the facilities you pointed out, and to get out of the APR hole Jimbo left them.

It’s the only one I could see Gundy fitting at, but not given the situation they’re in currently.

Michigan could throw that money. Plus this ultra conservative, power run, sorta spread scheme, that Gundy loves would be perfect.

I wonder if at some point he’s just ready to move onto something new. Timing would be weird with Gunner becoming a senior(?) next year

Gundy has won one game that matters to USC, Florida State, and Michigan in 15 years. His best two offers we’re from SEC bottom dwellers Tennessee and Arkansas. Couple that with his salary and repeated clashes with the Administration tells me Gundy will retire at oSu.

Tennessee has had poor results for the past 15 years, but they’re a sleeping giant of a program. Same with Arkansas, frankly.

It’s not like it’s Mississippi State, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, or Kentucky… those are the real basement dwellers in the SEC.

It says something about our program if leaving for either Arkansas or Tennessee is still considered a step up… and probably says something about college football as a whole.

Gundy is a known commodity and is widely considered, outside of the Oklahoma State fandom, to be an excellent coach… That was my point in posting those odds. Vegas doesn’t make odds like that because they think it’s impossible. 7/1 is pretty good odds that they’ll at least ask to interview the guy… and regardless of how we feel about Michigan or USC right now, that’s a pretty big deal.

I know this will kind of contradict what I said about FSU a second ago… But if your program is within 4 hours of Atlanta, or if you can recruit in that surrounding Atlanta region, then you can win a national title. That’s where all of the elite talent it.

It’s probably why we should’ve held on to Glenn Spencer and also why we really need Mason Rudolph to pan out for the Steelers.

Disagree completely and totally.

USC and Michigan since 2010 have been dreadful. They would kill for the decade gundy just had.

Florida state got a natty in 2013, so they’ve had higher highs but their lows look yikes.

If gundy really wanted any of those 3 jobs I think he could get them.

Gundy getting a job at a blue blood school is about as likely as Yurcich getting a HC job at any school.

Bad analogy. I think Yurchich will eventually find a job.

Yurcich needed to go North to get a HC job. His ties are there and a playoff spot as the passing game coordinator at Ohio State is 10 times better on a resume - in that area of this country - than a conference title as OC here.

That is exactly my point. The programs that are coming after Gundy are not “ready to win” programs. They are long rebuilds that often result in coach turn over. In addition, every SEC program has more resources so the rebuild is more challenging than in the past. I would be more concerned if successful programs were coming after Gundy. If that were the case is would would mean oSu is winning multiple Big 12 championships.

Don’t agree with that opinion. Neither do Fedora, Holgy, or Monken as every oSu OC got a HC job except MY… MY is the reason he isn’t a head coach. His personality is that of an assistant from what little I heard of him in 6 years.

Pretty sure Gundy dropped Sexton as his agent a couple of years ago. Not sure he even has one now.

You are correct. Unfortunately, he also dropped the firm Sexton hired to help him with media and public relations. Not long after the mullet appeared.

Before you go talking up USC, you need to go to their campus. It’s in a bad part of LA and as urban as you can get. Of the three you listed my view is that Michigan is the best.