Report: OSU Cowboy Back Jelani Woods Enters Transfer Portal

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/report-osu-cowboy-back-jelani-woods-enters-transfer-portal/

OSU fans aren’t going to like this one.

2 Likes

Woods has a chance to play in the NFL. Can’t understand why Gundy wouldn’t use him.

2 Likes

I’m surprised he’s not going into the draft instead. I don’t know why he’d go another season unless he’s been advised it would help his draft stock. I think if he loses 20 pounds it would do wonders for him as far as speed and results and thus draft stock…if next QB throws to him 5~10 times per game. I don’t know why any CWB/TE would come to oSu, we just don’t utilize them hardly at all…which I’ve been saying is doofy! The dude showed his athleticism and ability on that long run after catch and should’ve been catching 3~5 passes m/m per game.

I think most of us understand why RE Gumby. Cause he’s Gumby and doesn’t understand the need to diversify the offensive plays and players. Jump balls, back-shoulder fades and bubble screens is 75% of the pass plays.

1 Like

Chance to play in the NFL??? He wasn’t even one of the top 4 TE’s in the Big 12 this year. He had a couple of big plays, but he also had his share of drops, missed blocks, and holding penalties. Believe me, if he was playing as well as any of the TE’s at Iowa State, the ball would have gone his way a lot more often.

1 Like

The answer is simple. For the last two years Sanders stares at his prime receiver and ignores any but the first two for the called play. The only time the TE gets a reception is when the play is called for him as the prime receiver.
I think that QB2 doesn’t seem to have that problem.

4 Likes

Woods has the frame to be a big time TE, but he has terrible hands. Gundy and the staff knew the kids hands weren’t very good or else they would have used him mor frequently. Good luck to Woods moving forward.

2 Likes

I don’t blame him and wish him well. Hope he ends up on a team that’ll actually throw the ball to him.

1 Like
  1. You need a QB that doesn’t overthrow you

2. You need a coach that’s willing to pass it to you more

3. You are wasting your time playing for a coaching staff that doesn’t utilize you in the best ways possible.

So…no I don’t blame him for entering the transfer portal. Get ready to see more of this with the continuation of the Mike Gundy regime.

1 Like

Sad for OSU fans but I’m surprised Jelani stayed this long given how under-utilized he was. Yes, it appeared Jelani did miss a few catch-able passes but the guy never had an experienced, high end QB throwing to him. And he just didn’t get enough chances to shine. At least half the time a pass came his way, Jelani made a really good chunk play. I think Jelani will be an absolute talent once he gets a stable opportunity to really shine. I wish him the best of luck. I totally get why he needs to transfer to up his draft stock. Sadly, OSU vastly underutilized him just like they did Jarwin, who also became a great NFL TE.

2 Likes

About the only routes he runs in our system are check downs. He’s rarely targeted. He will be on an NFL squad. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him drafted either. He’s a really good, under utilized te.

4 Likes

I have seen too many dropped balls by Jelani and I agree he does not have the sure hands needed to be a receiver. For the sake of his career he is making the right decision to go somewhere else. He gave us some nice plays during his time. He has the right size to play in the NFL but not sure if he has the skills to do so. Next man up…

1 Like

Why do you think he will be on an NFL roster? What has he put on tape that screams “Draft Me”? He had a nice catch and run in the TCU game, and he had the TD against Texas, but he has never presented a consistent threat. People think the coaches are dumb and don’t realize they have a 6’7” mismatch, but what the fans don’t realize is that the coaches watch him in practice every day. If he had great ball skills and was catching everything thrown to him in practice, they would be throwing to him in the games. But the reality is he wasn’t a red zone threat because he couldn’t get open; he wasn’t able to use his size to his advantage; and he couldn’t make contested catches.

Players make plays. Presley got on the field and got touches because he is a playmaker. Woods had every opportunity to make plays but more often than not, he didn’t. It’s NOT dumb coaches.

1 Like

Yeah, sure. I think one of those typical fans that just has to blame the QB for every problem when it’s clearly COACHING!

Yes, the coaches are DUMB and obviously scared to try anything but what I mentioned below about 75% of the passes being jump balls, back-shoulder fades and bubble screens. Otherwise we would’ve thrown more than 15, 16 passes to the tight ends, but in your infinite wisdom…let’s diss Woods and praise Presley cause he caught how many passes? Try O.N.E. for 7 yards. #FailMuch?

And not to slam Presley, they should’ve found more ways to get him more touches in space too.

This is the biggest problem with our offense.

1 Like

Case in point against this argument: see Blake Jarwin.

2 Likes

I’ll hang my head in shame and eat crow if Woods makes an NFL roster, but I’m not too worried. My point about Presley is he showed something as an undersized freshman that got him on the field and in the game plan. If Woods was making back shoulder catches and snagging jump balls in practice, they would be throwing them to him in the games. The two red zone jump balls that immediately come to my mind were not caught by Woods. The guy played smaller than his size.

I bet we can win 8 games next year with 4 of those wins against division 2. The cowboy culture, just cant teach that, cut the mullet…knew director…

1 Like

No I think Sanders just sucks.

1 Like