Taking the temperature on Team Trill

Obviously we hope Spencer Sanders is going to be back at full strength – and based on what Mike Gundy said Monday, the expectation (sounds like) that will be relatively soon – but what’s the vibe check here with Shane Illingworth? If OSU has to ride him for several weeks, or for the rest of the season, we feeling good about it?

Not gonna lie, kinda liked what I saw from the rook on Saturday. Especially since his practice has been limited due to contract tracing protocols.

1 Like

Doesn’t matter if we don’t have an OL to block anyone. That beings said his poise for not practicing the last 15days looked good.

3 Likes

I will never again get super hyped on a freshmen starting long-term this early. I thought I was going to make a million dollars flipping weslunt.com.

Anyway… Trill looked good, but I need a bigger sample honestly. I would love to see him get more reps in garbage time, if we have any.

2 Likes

I can’t believe I’m saying this but I feel almost as good with Illingworth at QB1 as a do with Spencer.

2 Likes

What is not to like? Great debut in tough situation.

3 Likes

I definitely liked what I saw - confident, made good decisions, sharp on a very limited number of throws. I think he has good arm strength, and he just has “it”, and that goes a long way.

But to argue against myself, 2 of those throws were fades, and I wasn’t particularly wowed by them - they worked because they happened to be thrown to the best receiver in the land. And while he showed some good pocket escapability, he’s not going to extend plays with his legs which given the struggles up front may end up hampering our receivers’ ability to get open on longer routes.

All in all, I think he has a pretty high floor with good upside, I’m just not sold we will experience the upside in his second college game.

1 Like

I think the quarterback play improves once the Line is set and has continuity… Every third play in the first half another lineman was shuffling in. Just from a communication standpoint thats tough… I think both QB’s could look a lot better once the line gets settled in.

2 Likes

I thought he looked great.

65% think Spencer is better currently.

It’s one thing to come in cold off the bench when you don’t have time to react. You just go out and play. I’m interested to see how he handles being “the guy” this week in practice and going into Saturday. It is a whole different experience. I’m optimistic though. He showed signs of being able to move in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield that most guys don’t get to for a long time. He made the right plays and didn’t try to do too much. His 2nd pass right after the Tylan deep ball was really impressive IMO. I thought he did an excellent job of letting the play develop, stepping up in the pocket, and hitting his check down for a nice gain. It was really mature.

5 Likes

-He looked confident and comfortable in the pocket
-looked/felt like the rest of the offense had confidence in him
-nice to see him progress to Jelani. Probably gain plays like that with Illingworth, but miss out on the big QB scramble plays SS can make.

He didn’t play much, but didn’t disappoint, even with the hype

2 Likes

I think a Gundy is putting up a smoke screen on Sanders. You don’t just come back from a high ankle sprain in a week (unless it isn’t as severe as initially reported). At the very least, he won’t have much mobility, and risk re-aggravating the injury. Hopefully we can ride Trill for two weeks and squeak by WV and KU and get Sanders back at 100% going into the meat of our schedule.

One other thing to remember is we went solely to the pistol with Illingworth in. Weeden, Rudolph were both in that system as well so Dunn/Gundy are very experienced in knowing what works in that system and what doesn’t.

1 Like

Trill because he doesn’t wear a wedding band while playing.

Kidding.

3 Likes

I realize there are some “eye test” things here too, but how much of it was Tulsa’s Defense gassing out by the time he came in?

I got a fever and the only prescription is more Trill.

8 Likes

Yea, he came in after Bullock and we were mega frustrated so of course we are going to be riding high on him right now but we need some MAJOR brake tapping here.

Pleased, but SS is way more than just ‘a little better’ option right now. If SI plays next week and leads us to a solid win over WVU let’s talk, but just looking at evidence that we have, 4/5 for 74 yards 0/0 is absolutely positively not enough for us to form any opinion.

Remember that SS was going to win the Heisman after the Oregon State debut.

12 Likes

Gassed out by, what, exactly? We weren’t exactly testing them.

2 Likes

I think he sucks. He’s a flop. No way we win another game w/out Sanders in there. Burn the whole program to the ground.

8 Likes

Lack of practice, nerves?

Bullock’s last drive obviously ended poorly, but until that point it was easily his best one.

1 Like