The free Chamber

@kyleporterCBS - Looks like Discourse does have the ability to embed single comment topics into a site. This might make it easier to do the whole “one thread per article” thing and keep the discussion on discourse. I’m not saying this is the best or even correct step to take, but it does look like the software is capable of addressing the big problems (article comments are hard to moderate and are way too easy to troll) while keeping what some people are saying they liked (comments tied to a specific topic of discussion at the bottom of an article).

Haha, this is the solution we’re considering and working on.

1 Like

Just throwing in my 2 cents. I went looking through the comments for every article I read and prefered commenting on articles individually. I see you guys are already looking at implementing this so I am happy to see that.

Also, I wish I would have known that the comments section was going to shut down prior to one of the PFB+ sales. Current price is hard for me to pull the trigger but having known I would be forced to come the Chamber to get the same experience then I would’ve jumped in during one of the sales.

Anyways, thanks for listening to the numerous comments you guys have been getting since making the changes. It’s obvious you guys care and it is appreciated.

JOINUSALEC

Anybody can use that code on our yearly plan and you’ll get 50% off. I made five of them.

5 Likes

Dude got his own code, that’s pretty awesome!!

1 Like

Now that’s customer service right there! Thank you very much. Just signed up

1 Like

I think I’m starting to understand, it’s about the quality and not the quantity. Much like the coach who claims it’s not as much about the wins and losses as watching young men become successful in life.

1 Like

Kyle, it was both. I would read the article and then if I had something to say, would comment. I would go back and check to see if anyone responded to my comment and if any meaningful and interesting discussion came up. Even though there were annoying people, the posts that had a lot of discussion were enjoyable. It is always nice to get into an OSU sports discussion with other OSU people. You guys would even make a post about the most read posts, I’m sure those posts also had the most comments which contributed to their click count. In any case, starting a post thread here seems like it will work now that we know its going to happen. Thanks for helping us out.

2 Likes

Sheesh, sensitive much? No need to insinuate a fool’s motivation here. I appreciated being able to see different viewpoints than that of the article and understand different people’s point of view (however ridiculous it might have been). I’m providing feedback on the overall experience - if you don’t want it, you don’t have to take it (which seems to be your preference). The reality in digital media is that the more clicks you require of the user to meet their desired end, the less likely they are to reach said end. The ability to see comments and discuss thoughts relative to a specific post is important to many users and currently that experience wobbles between non-existent and difficult to get to.

2 Likes

This is a pretty simple example of capitalism. The barrier is only a few bucks a month. If you valued interacting with other readers and having discussion about article topics, the PFB+ forum allows for you to continue to do that. If you don’t value it enough to pay for it, then don’t. At the end of the day, if the majority of consumers share your sentiments then it will be very apparent to users and facilitators alike.