Gundy Cold Take Thread

First of probably a few bad losses this season so let’s fire this thread up.

Should we fire gundy? No.
Does he deserve to be fired? No.
If he moved on to another school would I be upset? no
Would I regret that stand later? probably

It’s just so predictable.

I mean does gundy really strike you as a coach hungry for wins?
Or does he strike you as a hunter with a mullet who likes to coach some football on the side?

It’s becoming more of the 2nd. He seems complacent or has lost his edge and grind.

Like a band/artists 4th album, they’re rich, fat, happy and have lost their edge to make incredible music that emerges from struggle.

It’s a Russ/Thunder type deal, maybe it’s just time to move on.

I dk, there’s a sense we’ve been to the mountain top in ‘11 and now we’re on a slow steady climb down.

Does anyone really think gundy is out-working Rhule? Campbell? Riley? Herman? Hell even Wells, whose hiney was on the line after that ou performance?

2 Likes

Fire: At this point, no. Too expensive.
Deserve: Maybe not termination, but he absolutely should have his raise removed this year. They won’t, but he deserves THAT.
Move on: Zero upset from me.
Regret: Depends on who we got.

My problem, in general, with Gundy is that he’s just not doing what is required for someone that is paid as much as he is. He is not even in the mid-range of head coaches in recruiting. His game management is getting worse. His playcalling…he needs to give that up immediately. He actively and repeatedly craps on social media, when that is a VITAL PART of running a program these days.

There are several things that, if done, would make this team and program stronger and better - he just doesn’t show any desire to do so. To me, that is not acceptable. Not from an entrenched coach that has a blank check from his alma mater to run the team as he wishes.

And for the record, if he goes out and flirts with other programs this offseason, I WILL call for his head because that is beyond the pale. He already has done so enough - too much, frankly.

2 Likes

“Best oline grade we’ve ever given”

FOH gundy

The line play was really good in that game?

Wait, did he actually say that? I’m not watching the presser. If he said it and meant it, that should be grounds for dismissal on the basis of mental instability.

He said it after Oregon State.

The problem is with his current contract he’ll always be too expensive to get rid of. I don’t know what their stipulations for not renewing the following year were in his contract, but I’d say last year going 6-6 would do it, but that wasn’t it. So where is the line drawn?

This may be one of those Travis Ford-type oopses by Holder when it’s all said and done.

I would agree with you on that. Having it be an automatic rollover and boost is beyond ridiculous. If he’s trash like he was last year and appears to be this year, there should be penalties attached. Should have been, rather.

I’m not sure firing him would do any good. But I agree, his leadership of this program seems to be approaching downright complacency. It’s like he’s just on cruise control to retirement. His coordinator hires are questionable, his absolute refusal to hire a special teams coach, his inability to make QB adjustments when someone is in a slump and making bad decisions. It’s just feels like he is content with making a mediocre bowl game and collecting his raise. Play calling is painfully predictable and the defense has been laughable. K-State made our defense look good because they too run a fairly predictable, low powered offense as usual. Teams that spread it out are going to have a field day with our secondary. The middle of the field was completely open all day.

What really irritated me was his comments during Boone’s service. Talking about how Boone told him to leave it all on the field, take chances and be bold with the program. He doesn’t do that at all. When a questionable decision comes up he will make the safe call every time, even if it means dropping a game.

2 Likes

It’s…cowardly. It’s accepting a bad result to avoid a potentially…worse one? We already had lost the game when we were down by 20. What could it have hurt to mix things up?

I’m here for this thread.

3 Likes

It’s not supposed to be a down with gundy he’s terrible thread but more of a

I’m just over it. #its a script.

I’m fine with criticizing Gundy for actual results, but stuff like this is pure conjecture BS. Like, we really think he’s just not trying hard enough to win? I mean, come on…

Talk about/criticize actual results. Don’t make up ridiculous narratives to try to prove a point.

2 Likes

Last week we were all impressed with how Gundy’s team came out focused and dominated a team we all kinda thought would give us a game.

They look like dog sh** this week, and now Gundy doesn’t care about winning? That’s so freaking tiring.

2 Likes

Google his actual recruiting results. A coach hungry to win wouldn’t finish in the 40s

1 Like

For the record I wasn’t that impressed

1 Like

Lol Gawd… I am not here for the millionth recruiting debate.

This OSU team is more talented than Tech. Recruiting has nothing to do with this loss.

2 Likes

I feel like Gundy really thought this program was humming up until last year and his way of recruiting, coaching, and running the program would churn out 9 or 10 wins every year. That’s how I took his comments before the season about last season. I wouldn’t call it complacency but seems like a lack of urgency week to week.

1 Like

We’re better

But it’s closer than you think

So this thread is to long not reading in my drunken “stupid losss” state that I get at least once a year… however the only question is can we do better than Gundy?

I am still at a “don’t think so” stage so for me that is end of story. Now inwilll proceed to my usual media blackout for half a weeek or more after stupid losses

Only good thing for me is I have learned somewhat to not live and die on games like this. With that said I have half a liter of jack calling my name, I’m out

2 Likes