Gundy Cold Take Thread

Mike Gundy was the offensive coordinator for Les Miles so there you go.

They certainly aren’t battled tested like we were with mcneese state

2 Likes

They played SFA, UTSA, Rice, Kansas State who we beat and an Iowa State team that nearly lost to Northern Iowa.

We’ve played at Oregon State, at Tulsa, at Texas, at Texas Tech and Kansas State. We are way, way more tested than Baylor.

We also have way more Ls

1 Like

Yes, because we’ve played a much more challenging schedule. We will whip Baylor’s tail. It’s games we shouldn’t lose and Bedlam that are the issue.

I’m not on the ‘fire Gundy’ train yet. Another season/recruiting performance in 2020 and I certainly will be. To be totally honest, at best I will ALWAYS be on the fence with Gundy until he improves recruiting performance. A $5M coach who does not value importance of recruiting and hold his staff accountable for results deserves to feel the heat. Frankly, I cannot believe Holder/Administration made another Travis Ford contract mistake with Gundy.

1 Like

I just watched the video of Boynton and got fired up for basketball. And it’s funny, let’s say he does great. Just kills it… 2 Final Fours in 4 years over the next 5 seasons. I mean, we all know he will be gone to a blue blood program, right? And after he leaves , the likelihood of another Travis Ford is a lot more likely than another home run hire.

So bringing it back to Gundy, what is better over a 10 year period - a few years of incredible highs followed by most below average? Or consistent better than average?

I don’t think that’s necessarily true.

It sucks because we’re one of the opposite examples, but P5 to another P5 jumps are not that common.

As long as the money is right, P5s have been able to hold onto their coaches. And why jump to an impatient blue blood when you can stay at a patient higher P5

I also think that Boynton legitimately looks at OSU as a top tier program historically, and believes he can restore that…

7 Likes

I would agree. I don’t get the sense in Boynton that he’s interested in stepping in to someone else’s shoes to keep a program going - I think he wants to make his mark permanently on OSU. I think he wants to be mentioned alongside Eddie as one of The Coaches at Oklahoma State.

Salary and buyout inflation is going to make this even more the case. Take FSU and Michigan, to get Gundy, they have to pay their current coach 17 million plus to go away, OSU 3 million to poach Gundy, and then presumably more than 5 million to Gundy himself. That’s a big bill. For comparison, Tech had to pay Utah State 800K for Wells and then 3.1 for his salary. If you go get the current Bama DC, you probably don’t have to pay them a buyout.

1 Like

It will be real interesting … given last season and similar result this season… if ‘another year’ is added to Gundy’s contract … at what point does Holder send Gundy a ‘hard message’ ?

6-6 this year with an LOL recruiting class just might do it, if not, another 6-6 next year.

I sorta think if this year falls apart, he might actually pull the trigger and leave. Michigan. Tennessee. USC all open. Those are some names.

Gundy does not have the passion/energy to take on the level of effort required for those programs and the fan base … dont care how much $ they throw at him

I don’t think Holder ever sends him ‘a hard message’. He painted himself into a corner with the automatic rollover and raise deal (which I LOATHE) because it’s basically granting Gundy college coaching tenure. If one year we modify things to NOT get him those things, it’s as good as denying him tenure, which is essentially saying ‘GTFO, you need to go somewhere else’.

That being said, and I’ve said this a few times in different threads, if Gundy flirts again, I’m actively rooting for him leaving. You can’t tease pulling a Lane Kiffin after every down year and expect to keep a program alive and a fanbase engaged.

the most interesting thing about Gundy contract details is the ‘7 day period of notice’ after ‘last game’ of year … if they did not let Gundy’s contract auto-roll for 2020/21 its a whold new ball-game, which if I was Holder and Gundy finished 7-6/8-5 i would not renew another year …

That’s kind of what I mean, though. It’s taken as written that it will be auto-renewed. That’s why Gundy signed it. Again, it’s like tenure for professors. While the contract is technically year to year, tenure essentially guarantees that rollover. If we PREVENT that rollover or stop it, that is a signal to Gundy that his services are no longer desired (with tenure, if you get denied, it’s a sign that the university wants you to leave) and that he should quit. It’s playing with fire and it was a stupid, stupid, stupid move by Holder to play that card because now we’re stuck with it regardless of how poorly the year ends.

My understanding is Boone and Holder told Gundy to hire an OC and transition into program CEO. The success of the Holgerson hire has been double edged sword. The success elevated Gundy’s stature and showed fans what heights the program could achieve. Gundy has used that success to earn more money and wrestle control back of his program. He just hasn’t capitalized on his opportunities when he had full control of the program.

1 Like

This thread continues to be amazing.

2 Likes

Thats i mean by sending Gundy a ‘hard message’ … day after the last game (regular or bowl) have envelope A and B in hand … if Gundy shops himself let him …