Travel Thread

I loved it. Went once as a freshman in college with a group from high school and again recently for just a day. I can’t compare to other cities in Switzerland, however. Beautiful sights of the bridge, the lake, the mountains, the architecture… all the classic Switzerland stuff. But I wasn’t there long enough to give a true detailed recommendation or insights on restaurants/hotels. Attached to this post, however, is one of my pics from the visit to Lichtenstein. Perhaps the reason I like it so much is that I feared my day in the alps would be limited to the fog you see in the valley. Once I drove up to the ski resort, I got the views I was hoping for.

7 Likes

Well, hopefully I’ll have moved back by then! Holler at me if you want any info. The “Tea Town” is a lil play on words, from Tulsa (T-Town) originally, Tea Town is an ode to Tokyo since Japanese drink a lot of green tea traditionally. Planning next trip for Oct 2021 for a baseball team reunion.

Just watched a vid on Amazon Prime of a guy, his son and a friend motorcycle touring around Scotland. Would love to do that one day! :innocent:

2 Likes

I love going to Belize to dive.

2 Likes

Wife and I went to Riu Palace in Jamaica couple years back. We’ve done the Mexico thing a few times (different places), but we swear by Jamaica. It was awesome. Favorite trup by far.

The travel is laborous – it takes a full day to get there as opposed to a half-day for Mexico – but if you have 5-8 days to kill, the full day of travel is worth it. Highly recommend.

1 Like

I lived in Okinawa for about a year and I agree it really is a pretty neat country. A lot calmer, cleaner and more friendly than the other countries I was attending during that time in life! lol

Edit- I was able to take advantage of weekend liberty and make the trip to see things on the main island @teatown

1 Like

Nice. I’ve been to Okinawa twice, but only the main island. Some of the outlying islands are pretty special. Some of the beaches on those should be Top 25 in the world but I guess haven’t been found yet, let’s keep it a secret, hah hah.

Did you try habushu? And I hope you tried beniimo (purple potato) ice cream and some of the other stuff with it!

1 Like

I tried just about everything that I could not pronounce! I became quite a fan of the Awamori based liquors. Beni Imo tapioca was a favorite of mine and was easy to get not far off base. Mimiga (pig ear) was also popular in the local bars.

One of my favorite weekend trips was to Shizuoka. Walked across the Nihondaira Rope Bridge and saw the Sunpu Castle. The Miho Seacoast is quite beautiful as well.

1 Like

Habushu is the viper (habu) that’s put into a bottle and filled with awamori. I’m not a fan of that or awamori, too much like Nihonshu, aka sake. I hope you got to try shochu which is sometimes called Japanese vodka. Can be made w/ anything, but my favorite is Miyazaki which is made from wheat.

Haven’t had beniimo tapioca but that sounds good! If you ever get a chance and you’re in/near Shizuoka, check out the Izu Peninsula, one of the prettiest areas nearest to Tokyo and some of the landscapes should be top 25 in all of Japan. I’d put Aiai Misaki (cape) in the Top 10. It’s about at the end of the peninsula and there’s also an amazing beach, but not really a beach as it’s rocky, called Hirizo Beach. Water is crystal clear.

This is Aiai Cape:

Hirizo:

9 Likes

Holy cow… these literally look like paintings or renderings. Wow!!

1 Like

We are going to Jamaica next year. I’ve heard the diving there is unreal.

2 Likes

We got married in Montego Bay in May. It’s nice there. Mostly touristy and a resort area, but it’s nice.

1 Like

I can deal with touristy. I’m honestly most concerned with what’s under the water and Jamaica looks so colorful under the water.

1 Like

My wife and I, along with another couple, are renting a big house on the beach in Turks/Caicos in March. It looks insanely beautiful.

3 Likes

Just noted you went to Tsukuba. Do you work for Intel? No worries, we can keep that a secret. :innocent:

1 Like

@TotallyNotRook, here ya go.

1 Like

Wife and I haven’t been able to travel too much yet, but here are our favs in no order :

Bannf :

Heaven on earth man. The water looks stinkin’ photoshopped. I will retire here and it’s not an option (besides that whole citizenship thing I’ll get figured out). Keep in mind these are all taken on a cell phone, which speaks to how beautiful this water really is.

Tuscany :

We did an Italy trip of Lake Como (UN-DER-RA-TED :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:), Naples, Tuscany and Venice. Tuscany (plus Florence) won the battle royale and it wasn’t even close. The rolling hillsides, the Wine (holy crap), and the FOOD MAN. THE FOOOOOOOOOOOOD.

Kauai :

We’ve been to the Big Island (also vastly underrated), Oahu, Maui and Kauai, (split up in 2 trips) and Kauai is hands down the best. By the way, the picture of those Dolphins, even though the floor looks like blue plastic tarp, it’s not a fake pool. That was the ocean, we were on a small boat, they were wild, it was not a dolphin watching excursion. They swam right up to us and played alongside us for about 15 minutes. I could have died happy right after.

5 Likes

I loved Singapore - clean, safe, fun

If I could choose anywhere outside of the USA to live, I’d choose Alberta. If it had to be in a city, then Calgary…but my favorite semi-rural locations would be Okotoks, High River, Cochrane, or Canmore - all but Canmore are great “cowboy” towns

2 Likes

Yes, the glacial waters in the lakes west of Calgary are spectacularly turquoise in color. None of my photos captured the actual brilliance or color of the water - just one of those things you’d have to see to believe. Very awesome - thanks for the pics

3 Likes

Man, I guess that means we’ll be neighbors when I figure out how to live there. :slight_smile:
My wife and I routinely have “How the heck can we figure out how to get a summer home in Canmore” conversations.

1 Like