Turning Point

What is everyone’s take on the turning point to this season? After the game, I was able to find Jason Taylor II and told him, “Thank you! Your pick 6 at Texas brought us to this point.” That’s my choice.

8 Likes

Dez Bryant throwing up the X on the big screen

6 Likes

Boise State - o line learning to zone block and Gundy learning to rely heavily on the D

6 Likes

Tulsa when Gundy said they needed to throw out the playbook and start over. Still have had some rough patches on the offense since then but without that we probably lose 2-3 more games.

1 Like

Jason Taylor pick six at Texas.

4 Likes

I’ll tell you this, I think this season as a whole is a turning point for the program. If we can stay the course and take care of Baylor and make the playoff, we put ourselves in a great position to carry the momentum of this season into the future to put a stranglehold on the new big 12.

3 Likes

If it isn’t the JTII pick six, it has to be the JTII blocked field goal in Boise. I am pretty confident that we would not have been able to manufacture a scoring drive at that point in the season with the shuffled OL, walk-on wide receivers, and a field goal kicker with the yips.

9 Likes

Single play was Taylor’s pick 6. Game wise it was Boise. If we never figure out our early season running issues, we would be 7-5 or 6-6 right now. That game’s adjustments turned us from fighting for a bowl game to fighting for a playoff spot. Turning point from a good team to a great one was the second the ISU clock hit 0:00. This team obviously doesn’t like losing, because they’ve been on a completely different level since that game ended.

8 Likes

Haha what was Taylor’s response?

1 Like

“Thank you, sir.” and hurried away to find family, I assume.

1 Like

This is the right answer. If Texas scores there I’m not sure we come back and the whole Big 12 landscape looks different

1 Like

I think JTII’s “Boise Block” and “Texas Pick-Six” could be considered two of the most significant contributions in what could be a significant season impacting the future. They were just so unexpected and momentum shifting.

Oliver crawling to make the game ending tackle on the future usc quarterback is symbolic of what that game was and the bedlam series as a whole.

15 Likes

Just went back and watched McCalisters pass breakup after Caleb’s big run. That was a game saving play. OU would’ve had it at the 1 yard line at best if they catch that.

7 Likes

The Jason Taylor pick 6 is what I have felt since it happened, and I have said so multiple times on here since then. But I really can’t pick a single play. This has been a year of season making plays, a year of grind, a year of coaching to whatever our strength is at the moment, and a year where the blue collar work horses reminded the “elites” that greatness is built through hard work and dedication.

4 Likes

I think the JTII plays that have already been mentioned helped turn the season around. I think bedlam was the best display of how our program has just been different this year. We didn’t allow the issues in the 2nd and 3rd quarters to overwhelm us, and we stopped OU from killing us 3 different times on that last drive of theirs. I said this in another thread, but any previous year and we allow Williams that first down when Harper got him. We likely let him score on the long run. Tanner doesn’t make that perfect pass breakup. And the cherry on top is the Oliver sack. We turned the corner in the middle of the season at Boise or Texas, but we proved we are an elite team on Saturday.

5 Likes

All the above are great points but us getting healthy at receiver and Sanders getting confidence in them. Not a great play but we have been firing on offense since then. We have a bunch of upside receivers coming up and excited about them. But the one play, and there are many, Taylor’s block of the field goal

6 Likes

The seeds for the success this season were planted a few years ago when Gundy changed his philosophy and moved the emphasis of recruiting to defense by adding scholarships and an extra coach to that side of the ball. Of course a change at Defensive Coordinator also helped. An additional huge help was the NCAA granting an extra year of eligibility creating a super senior class that also helped the defense. Because we live off of 3 star players and the Gundy culture built over a long period of time, we didn’t lose as many of the seniors as the Blue Bloods. I don’t think any one play this year turned the season around. It was a group/Team effort that culminated with finally letting loose with play calling in the Bedlam game. Go Pokes

8 Likes