Tylan Wallace -- 2021 NFL Draft

Wrote a bit about this this morning and wanted to get takes from any folks smarter than I am – feel free to chime in @dustinragusa24 or @AdamLunt – or just anyone who has a #take at all.

Tylan has had better numbers than CD and Reagor in college and both went in Round 1 last night. I know it’s about a lot more than that, but curious what you guys think Tylan’s ceiling as a draft pick is and why?

5 Likes
6 Likes

As long as he stays healthy and shows that he’s come back from his ACL, I see no reason he can’t go at least as high as Blackmon. I think it’ll really depend on what teams need wide receivers

1 Like

At least as high as Blackmon? Wasn’t he a top 5 pick?

5 Likes

His speed after catch is incredible. He is definitely a top-tier athlete.

He’s got long antelope strides.

2 Likes

He’s gotta have a Biletnikoff-esque season, and OSU needs to show out, in order for him to fall in the Top 10.

6 Likes

And as weird as it sounds, wouldn’t hurt for Washington to have a big season with the Steelers too. Maybe not and NFL guys don’t do that kind of association in draft considerations.

I love Tylan and I think he is a better pro prospect than any of the receivers since Blackmon, but Blackmon had maybe the 2 best back-to-back seasons in college football receiving history. If Tylan went Top 15, that would be an incredible draft break. I think Top 10 is a reach. That isn’t a knock on him. It is just a realistic view of where he could go.

4 Likes

Such an incredible play. Goes in the OSU all-time best play list along with Barry Hanna’s catch/run, James Castleman’s catch/run/quote, any Weeden2Blackmon fade, and any time Barry touched the ball. I know I am cheating with those last 2 examples.

2 Likes

No, it’s a knock on you because you hate Tylan Wallace. :smirk:

But I hear you, and let’s be realistic, WRs don’t usually go too high, generally speaking. So yeah, that 10-15 range seems realistic.

2 Likes

I would classify myself as a realist, my friends call me a pessimist. It is my way of life. To the point of WRs not going that high in general, here is where the first WR has gone off the board in the last few years of the draft:

2020: 12
2019: 25
2018: 24
2017: 5
2016: 15

3 Likes

As crappy as it is to say, unless he has a monster-among-men season, he’ll go mid-to-late 1st round at best, but will be behind Jamarr Chase and Jaylen Waddle in being drafted (still probably ahead of Rondale Moore though).

2 Likes

He was indeed the #5 pick. I think Tylan is good enough to go that high.

1 Like

I use to think Tylan was just a day 2 guy who was mid second to early 3rd round guy (based off of even though he’s great he’s not playing for a AL, tOSU, LSU, or USC), based off of where Washington went. Now after seeing last night and looking at the age of some of the best receivers, and the importance of the spread now in the NFL I’d say he’s a 17-32 pick. I think his ceiling is probably 12th. With more young QB’s coming into the league I think there will be an added importance of getting them the weapons to be successful. I look at him going to Miami, Giants, Colts, or LA next year. Colts are always going be in there around the teens, and with the lack of stability they’ve had outside of Hilton I think that’s a good spot for him to go. Colts are always looking for those offensive pieces in the first round.

1 Like

I think Tylan is definitely a 1st round talent, the only problem is that next year figures to be another really strong WR draft class just like this year. You’ve got, in addition to Tylan, Ja’Marr Chase, Justyn Ross, DeVonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, Rondale Moore, etc. and honestly, I could see Tylan being #1 out of that group, or he could slide below them, so really I have no clue where he’ll end up.

I could see several receivers going in next year’s first round. I think Jaylen Waddle (Bama), Justyn Ross (Clemson), Rondale Moore (Purdue) and Ja’Marr Chase (LSU) are some of the hottest names right now. I’ve seen some early 2021 mocks with Waddle, Ross, Moore, Chase and DeVonta Smith (Bama) all going in the first round.

For Tylan, it obviously depends on how he recovers from his ACL, but if he fully recovers and puts up the numbers he had in 2018 (~1,500 yards and 12 touchdowns) I think he will be looked at by many as a first round guy. Then if he tests well at the combine, I could see him moving up to a top 15 pick.

However, it depends on what we see from the other guys as well. For example, Chase is a scorching hot name right now because he had great numbers and toasted several DBs who were drafted in the first round last night. But, he is going into a season with an unproven Myles Brennan at QB. In addition, Moore is coming off an injury as well.

I think Tylan winds up being selected in the first round, my guess would be in the late teens/early 20s. As far as ceiling goes, I don’t see him moving in front of Chase, so I think between 5-10.

1 Like

You would probably draft Chase No. 1 overall.

1 Like

I think Tylan is a day 2 pick. Somewhere between guys like Sterling Shepard and Ryan Broyles. He’s very unique but his performance after this injury will probably decide if he’s a 2nd or 4th round pick. Doesn’t necessarily have to have huge numbers, just show that he can stay healthy while still showing the explosiveness and RAC ability. He high points the ball like Dez, can take the lid off like James, and blocks like a grown man like JB. Not that he’s better or worse than any just that he’s got a little bit of all of them and I think Coach Dunn has done a great job building that.

Edit: I think LSU guys will lose some stick with their offense set to take a HUGE step back without their Joes. Each one made them what they were and now that they’re both gone, I see the shine wearing off. I mean let’s be honest. Had they not been so dynamic this year their guys don’t get drafted like they did. The caliber of athlete at LSU didn’t change, but Joe Brady showed what they can be at their best and eliminated the “can they” question that always seems to shroud LSU offensive players. There’s a chance in my opinion they fall back into that.

2 Likes

Very true

I don’t think the shine is gonna wear off Chase. He’s proven he’s an elite receiver.

1 Like