Tylan Wallace -- 2021 NFL Draft

If we are talking draft, he would have to look absolutely terrible this season to drop far. If MB doesn’t play well, I don’t think he’s going to be faulted for that in the eyes of NFL GMs and coaches.

1 Like

That’s true. I just think the other guys who needed another season to solidify their status in the 2021 draft could lose some ground when the offense and team as a whole takes a step back.

I’m just talking about Chase.

1 Like

Fair enough. You know that team and football in general way better than me. So I don’t mean to argue, more just a guess in my part. I believe what you’re saying tho.

Ha, idk about that! But, I led the thread astray with LSU talk. Back to TW!!

1 Like

I think it’s going to be tough for Wallace come draft time. He’s in that awkward situation where he almost exclusively played on the outside but has size of a slot WR. I don’t expect that he will run anything better than 4.5, which will add to his issues. I think in general as an undersized player you get to the 1st round if you’re:

1. Tyreek Hill/Henry Ruggs fast
  2. Incredibly dynamic after the catch - Percy Harvin, Jerry Jeudy etc.
  3. OR complete WR such as CeeDee Lamb - has route running, dynamic after catch and good at contested catches.

Wallace is a good route runner, and has great body skills. But don’t consider him overly dynamic after the catch, and not Hill/Ruggs fast. My guess is 3rd round is probably most likely. Were seeing the same thing happen to Tyler Johnson from Minnesota now, and he’s slipping. I think Wallace will be a good NFL player for a long time, anyone who can go up and win contested situations will make it IMO. But when teams draft 1st round WRs they want Deandre Hopkins or Tyreek Hill types, and thats not him.

5 Likes

Love that you always take the time to break this stuff down Adam. Not sure if you are working on something like this or not, but are you putting together anything like a future draft round projections for NFL prospects on the team?

2 Likes

Can you elaborate on this? I feel the opposite from what I’ve seen. Is true he’s not elite fast, but he has good enough top-end speed and great physicality.

1 Like

If Tylan goes in the first round you have to write all my film breakdowns for a month but let me put my name on them. If he doesn’t, bbq on me for a period of time to be discussed at a later date.

7 Likes

What’s the marinade of choice? These things matter.

1 Like

I think AL is very selective about his bbq so I’m not gonna answer and get scolded.

6 Likes

I’d probably just write one long post about 4 verts lol.

I think I’d prefer my winning prize to be 12 Coors Lights at Stables before the next home game after the draft. Either way, I’m down. Looking forward to Wallace being the 33rd pick in the 2021 draft.

7 Likes

He is a long strider, and not tall, which I think makes him look like he’s playing faster than he is. James Washington was same way, and he was mid 4.5s. But when I say he’s not dynamic, I mean he’s not a make you miss guy after the catch. Some of these guys (Lamb included) are super agile and quick with ball in their hands. Wallace makes his living in the air, going up and making contested catches, or creating enough separation on his route to generate yards.

That is all subjective and really based on observations. I don’t have any data to support this. I would love to be proven wrong, Wallace is a great kid and hope he gets paid as much as possible.

10 Likes

Nah, nothing like that. WR draft projections are tough. I’ve been watching 6-8 games from every Big 12 QB recently, in between episodes of Blippi and Sesame Street.

4 Likes

That’s fair. His ability to go up for balls is outrageous for a 6’ tall WR. Since this is the internet, and every hair must be split, I think his dynamism is certainly different from guys like Lamb but still makes him a force with the ball in his hands. James Washington was not a guy that could catch a bubble screen and make something happen, so I think that added element to Tylan’s game gives him a lot more value. I’m just excited to watch the kid play more games and see what he can do for another season (god willing and the creek don’t rise).

6 Likes

Lol. Stables’ Coors Light it is.

2 Likes

The good thing for you is that’s like $18.

4 Likes

So I said this a few years ago and it’s close to happening. With Washington, Ateman, Lacy, Tyron, Wallace, and possibly wolf, stoner, and McCleskey we had 7 guys in the WR room that will get on the field in the NFL. With a few making a decent living that way. That’s incredible from Coach Dunn.

I think it all comes down to how he plays in the big games; OK, TX, non-conf. Blackman could catch the fade no matter who was covering him. OK State players are not going to get credit for big numbers against KS. Barry had great numbers in Norman even with losses. If you want to hit Top 10, you have show up when you play with Future Pros. That’s why Al and LSU get such respect in the draft. Just an amateur’s opinion.

1 Like

I love Wallace. One of my favorite college guys I’ve ever interviewed. Gets it.

3 Likes