Unpopular Opinions

I’ve been thinking about making this thread for awhile because I think it could be fun and maybe find that you aren’t the only one who shares these opinions…

Please, if you do indulge, realize these are unpopular for a reason and not meant to offend or upset you. Have a laugh with it!

I’ll start… Dave Hunziker kills me. I cannot listen to him anymore. I think he is good at what he does but it seems so robotic anymore that I feel like he’s just a computer someone is feeding information to… and don’t get me started on “…dump trucked down”

Dave sometimes is a lot to handle for sure. But I think it’s because he gets excited pretty easily :joy: That being said he’s much much better than his Sooner counterpart.

5 Likes

I have already been killed on PFB+ comments for my dislike of the Waving Song. Thought I might not be alone. But no, I was pretty much alone on that take.

8 Likes

Yeah you’re still the worst :wink:

/s

4 Likes

That my issue with my take; I’ve listened to other radio broadcast and thought they were terrible lol I think Holcomb is good because he makes emotional observations that call out officiating, poor play calling, etc…

Holcomb I think is necessary to kind of level Hunziker out. They’re a good pair. But OU’s team is horrendous. I listened to I swear 15 straight minutes of OU vs Texas driving and didn’t hear the score once, but heard “Eagles has talons” at least 12 times.

3 Likes

I remember listening to them a couple years back and they had a younger guy who was trying to hard to sound like a big radio announcer and the some very older guy who really didn’t have any place being on the radio. It was a very odd pairing…

Does Merv Johson still sit on the broadcast team? Most uninteresting person radio host I’ve ever listened to …

1 Like

Not a huge fan of our new National Champion display in the end zone…

12 Likes

They let Merv on every once in a while during the game. Just to point out the obvious.

“Hey Merv what did you think about that play” “Well, they got some yards and that’s good”

Nailed it.

3 Likes

Merv has moved on. He was uninteresting in tone, but he provided excellent color commentary until he got too old his last few years. At the end of Bob Barry Sr.'s run, Bob was play by play, Merv would then give his play by play of the current play because Bob had lost it, and then he provided color. He was really, really good at it too.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Bob Barry Sr as our play by play guy in the 80’s. Had no idea at the time that he had previously been OU’s play by play announcer until the news came out that he had gone back to broadcasting their games (after I had graduated and moved out of state).

2 Likes

My unpopular Oklahoma State opinion is that Hideaway and Joe’s are both average eating establishments. Piggy backing on the previous unpopular opinion, Joe’s the bar after they close the restaurant is the best bar in Stillwater.

5 Likes

Wheel Wednesdays. Oh boy.

4 Likes

Yes- especially since they do not include it with the other national championship banners that hang in the rafters at GIA.

1 Like

It is during dining hours, but free keg Friday was also a good time.

3 Likes

Have you ever eaten anything from Joes other than the cheese fries? Mediocre at best. We go and order cheese fries and that’s it. Ate a burger once, just disappointing more than anything.

The Joes Friday night drown was amazing. $5 for bottled beer on Friday night and it started at like 9:00…

3 Likes

Yeah, if I ever stray off the cheese fry menu I get an Elm Street Fowl Thing. Cheese and Sweet Pepper Bacon on the fowl thing. It is ok. Not great, but ok. Everything else is just more meh.

3 Likes

Unpopular opinion that I’ve stated several times… The Strip is a dump and probably the worst bar “district” in the big12.

5 Likes

The Strip is not great. I’m currently a student, and it’s so small/boring compared to others. K-State’s Aggieville is a blast. Even Ames is a better time

2 Likes