Wait Til ... Next Year?

We’re currently having a discussion in Slack about next year’s roster. Right now, honestly, it seems a little thin. Your starting five are probably …

1. Cade
  2. Ice
  3. ??? (Anderson?)
  4. Kalib
  5. Yor

They, uh, don’t really have a three right now. Cade is obviously great, but this is what happens when you keep losing top-two guys (like Watson) out of your class. That’s who the three should be next year, but they’ll have to plug it with somebody who shouldn’t be there. The whole thing just feels awkward and not super inspiring. Am I alone in this?

5 Likes

Keylan is the easy plug I think. His skill set of 3 and D will fit really well with that lineup.

13 Likes

First 5:

Cade
Chris Harris
Ice
Keylan
Yor

Bench:

Anderson
Walker
Moncrieffe
Hidde
Kalib

With two more schollys to play with, they should prioritize adding a experienced scorer through a grad transfer. That will determine if they are simply good or great IMO. Seth Towns would be ideal here.

Moncrieffe can play 3/4, Keylan is a natural 3, Ice fits at the 3 simply because his greatest skills are slashing and defense.

Would not recommend starting your two best big men at the same time lol, or starting all three of your PGs.

5 Likes

I think a ton of people are under playing Cade if that’s even possible. Cade’s play will make everyone a step better than what we’re seeing now. He’ll get open shots for guys when he isn’t scoring. It’s obviously a lot easier to make an open three than with 12342 hands in your face. Organically with such a great play maker players will be better. Especially the guys who we are “thin” with.

It’s like in the NBA where Ferguson right now if his point guard was Patty Mills, who is a good player but overall :man_shrugging: then he becomes a lot less effective and honestly probably doesn’t see the floor a ton. Now enter Russ and the crew he has now. Russ, CP3, SGA and Schroedy all command some serious attention as they are all VERY good on the ball and can score if you’e lax on them. Therefore Ferg gets open shots and can stay on the floor despite being trash on the offensive end.

Simple way of saying it is: The guys who are meh right now on this roster will be elevated by Cade during a period where they will be learning to be players at the collegiate levels themselves. So they learn while being successful, they come back next year ahead of where they would be without Cade. He has the potential to be a super impactful person in the grand scheme of OSU basketball moving forward.

8 Likes

I really think this the 5 as it stands now. We’ll see who they add, but I like the roster construction if Avery Anderson can slow down a bit.

Pena gets pushed down to garbage time…? :sob:

People also forget Cade could average 30 if he wanted/needed to.

If you put Cade with our bench guys they would beat our starters IMO.

I really like Pena I do, I just think he needs a year, just like Hidde needed a year.

1 Like

2 Likes

beats dead horse

Is LSU really the Fighting Tigers? Am I just finding this out?

11 Likes

Still would be a step up from whatever is going on this year.

Plus Cade actually seems like he wants to win and wants to be someone who balls out to win a title. Simmons literally said a few times he didn’t want to be there.

But that fits your narrative so :man_shrugging: maybe we will just suck.

Zion clearly boosted his squad and went to the Elite 8 (yes I know he had other stars but maybe these guys are too that are coming in)

Deandre Ayton led his team to 27-8 and they did lose in the first round but that was a major upset.

There are more but nobody actually wants to read this far down on what I write.

3 Likes

It is more convenient to use the bad examples

I think that a dark-horse 3 option (if he commits like I’m hearing he will) would be MAM. He’s got the height - apparently another two inches above what he’s listed as - and if he can put on even ten, fifteen pounds of weight and muscle, would be able to fill that role nicely. Obviously, if he doesn’t come here, that’s not an option, but if he does…

3 Likes

We need someone who can spread the floor. If MAM can shoot, then he is a good candidate to start.

Would love to get Williams because he could really give the second unit some scoring pop, but the recent KU push does not sound/look good for us.

1 Like

Man…you express even just a modicum of doubt about Cade around here and lookout. You got narratives, and you are an idiot.

That being said, I’m all in on him. Just expressing sympathy for the other side. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did I call anyone an idiot? Whatever. Good Lord this place has become a negative drag on my day. Might @leecothran it and bounce for a bit.

5 Likes

Reading this forum has been painful today. But my week long vacation starts in 49 minutes (no I am not counting) so that’ll be nice

7 Likes

@ScottCorken Did I say you called anyone an idiot? I did not.

Yeesh brother. That part was not targeted at you. Just remembering some name calling from previous threads regarding the subject matter.

1 Like

Cade kinda is Ben Simmons. OSU kinda is LSU.

He’s certainly not Zion, and OSU certainly isn’t Duke.

Listen, I want OSU to be great more than anybody in here (mostly because I am more financially invested than anybody in here). But I’m sitting here looking at the roster wondering how it’s going to go. I don’t think that’s unfair or pessimistic. I guarantee if you sat Boynton down off the record, he’d say a lot of the same stuff.

13 Likes