‘We Want to Get Back to Hanging Banners’: Weiberg on the Decision to Hire David Taylor

Originally published at: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/we-want-to-get-back-to-hanging-banners-weiberg-on-the-decision-to-hire-david-taylor/

‘He’s been a big part of building up the standard for the sport right now.’

I do not know if Coleman Scott would’ve been a great head coach. I also don’t know if David Taylor is now the answer to our wrestling coaching vacancy. One thing that I did learn was that our AD made a tough call. Easy transition to a new coach would be Coleman Scott because he has many of the qualities of our previous staff. Weiberg seems to have made the call about what he thought was best to bring national championship relevancy to our wrestling program. Gutsy call and I’m impressed.

1 Like

Let’s go get #35. I’m excited about the hire.I’m sad for Coleman and his family, but I know he will land on his feet just fine. Proud of Chad for making the tough decision. I’ve been impressed with his last three hires, even though the timing seemed strange with the way the hoops transition went. What Chad lacks in media presence/personality and fund-raising ability, he more than makes up for with his intelligence, patience, and wisdom in decision-making.

Wrestling is the ONE sport in which Oklahoma State is truly a blueblood in every way. That status was slowly being chipped away at though. I’m proud of Chad for having the courage to go get the best man for the job to restore order.

2 Likes

We have needed a change for a few years in wrestling. Things had become stale You never fire the GOAT , he actually did what was needed. DT and his staff should chip away at some of the highest recruits Cael has been getting DT should be good at this, he’s seen how it’s done.
Props to Chad for having the cajones to pull it off. After that fiasco with the basketball coach i wasn’t so sure

1 Like

I’m with everyone here on Chad’s decision. Gutsy move in an attempt to vault OSU back to where we belong. However the deal with Scott perplexes me and I do wonder if he was done dirty in some regards. I wonder what caused him to leave a head coaching position and come back to OSU as an assistant? What promises were made if any? I guess we will never know and I do hope that OSU was transparent with him on the true opportunities for him taking the HC spot at OSU when he decided to leave his HC job to join the staff at OSU. As far as him easily bouncing back and getting another HC job in the future I’ve no clue. Assuming that he is out at OSU as an assistant coach it is possible that getting another HC job may be least of his concerns and instead it is getting any coaching position that will support him and his family going forward. I guess we will see where he lands and I hope the best for him.

2 Likes

He wasn’t promised anything. He came last year to improve his chances of getting the job and to hopefully help Smith go out on top. When Sean was named asst head coach in waiting, it was announced and he signed a contract to seal the deal. This happens all the time in the business world. Chad even said he was transparent.

This hire isn’t like replacing Gundy , we aren’t a BB in football. Okla. St wrestling is a BB . Only other teams close to us are Iowa and Penn St.
when John retired everyone assumed Coleman would be put in place Being we are the top BB I’m glad Chad went for the best
Go Pokes :cowboy_hat_face:

Don’t know where you get your information, assumptions is what you get most of the time when folks comment. Perhaps you are a true insider with the facts. Who knows. I just hope everything was up front and well understood by all involved but 40 years of corporate work tells me there is a lot of back stabbing to go around, happens much more than “doing the right thing by people”. Not saying that it is the case here with the wrestling hire. I fully support Chads major grab for the brass ring although I do have a very slight concern with us becoming Pen State lite ( Nittany lite lol) given the assistant hires so far. Then again I’m a dumb ass and worry too much. Cheers and gopokes!

1 Like